Here's a trick for pre filling filters

It's very odd and inconsistent that conventional BitOG wisdom holds that pre-filling a completely dry new filter is pointless, yet at the same time a fully functional anti-drainback valve is essential to prevent some of the oil from draining out of the filter between starts.

I "think" the held view here is that one (for lack of a a better term) "dry"start every X thousand miles is a far different thing than one every start.

I found out they make small engine funnels that they sell at walmart. They're skinny and tall so you can actually add oil thru the dipstick tube easily on a mower. Anyways, I noticed these funnels also have about the smallest diameter hole i've seen yet on a funnel, so imo these would work great for pre filling an oil filter through the small holes so the oil is actually filtered first instead of just dumping it through the large center hole where it's unfiltered like me and i'm sure most everyone else does too. Opinions? Just thought i'd help
Thanks for the suggestion. I too use a large oil filter that doesn’t have an ADBV and the engine has piston oiling nozzles with small orifices. I have also noticed that the filter isn’t full when doing an oil change but it’s not dry either. This occurrence is more pronounced when using the Stratapore filters. They evidently flow very well in both directions. Higher oil levels in the cellulose filters when they are removed.

Thanks for the suggestion. I too use a large oil filter that doesn’t have an ADBV and the engine has piston oiling nozzles with small orifices. I have also noticed that the filter isn’t full when doing an oil change but it’s not dry either. This occurrence is more pronounced when using the Stratapore filters. They evidently flow very well in both directions. Higher oil levels in the cellulose filters when they are removed.
On my cummins the filter holds a whole quart. It seems the only time mine are completely up to the top of the filter is if it was recently run. I'm not a fan of changing oil on a hot engine, at best I let it run for 5 minutes or so beforehand so it's atleast warm. Most times if it's hot enough outside I change it in the morning, before starting.

It's very odd and inconsistent that conventional BitOG wisdom holds that pre-filling a completely dry new filter is pointless, yet at the same time a fully functional anti-drainback valve is essential to prevent some of the oil from draining out of the filter between starts.
Likely hundreds of starts in an OCI, right …?

On my cummins the filter holds a whole quart. It seems the only time mine are completely up to the top of the filter is if it was recently run. I'm not a fan of changing oil on a hot engine, at best I let it run for 5 minutes or so beforehand so it's atleast warm. Most times if it's hot enough outside I change it in the morning, before starting.
I usually change mine after it has been run and up to temperature. I pull the drain plug and let it drain for atleast an hour and it usually pulls about half the oil out of the filter. Also use the filter plug.

I've never pre-filled filters. I did it once or twice just to see if there was a difference, the oil light took the same amount of time to go out, and the engine sounded exactly the same. With that said, there is a huge difference between pre-filling a filter (or not) and a failed ADBV. If you don't pre-fill the filter, your engine will clack once during the oil change interval. If the ADBV fails, your engine will clack every single time you start it for the entire oil change interval.
Engine noise due to either a non-functional ADBV or not pre-filling the oil filter during an oil change is pretty dependent on the engine. I've done many oil changes without pre-filling the filter, and never got any engine noises upon initial start-up.

I've also timed the difference to achieve oil pressure without and with pre-filling the filter, and it cut the time to less than half when pre-filling (5 to 2 sec).

Last edited:
This dude had a nifty video on prefilling vs not. The empty filter took four or five seconds to establish oil pressure, which to me seems worth the extra 20 seconds or so it takes to dump some oil into the filter before installing it. Just food for thought, I guess. Skip to 8:25ish if interested.

If you're going to pre fill it takes 3-4 pours plus time for the oil level in the filter to sink down between pours before there's actually enough oil in there to even make it worthwhile. So 20 seconds, I don't think so.

I am not against prefilling.

But what you are proposing is not really worth the hassle. Just pour in the center, pause, pour a bit more in. Done.

New oil in a bottle does not need to be filtered.
Yeah I had some previous posters get me all worried about pouring in the center.....until that motor oil geek guy that knows more than most of us on here did some testing he's posted on YouTube and proved that the oil were pouring in is cleaner than it will ever be after that. Myth debunked. Just fill the filter if you can with fresh oil. No reason not to, other than laziness.

Engine noise due to either a non-functional ADBV or not pre-filling the oil filter during an oil change is pretty dependent on the engine. I've done many oil changes without pre-filling the filter, and never got any engine noises upon initial start-up.

I've also timed the difference to achieve oil pressure without and with pre-filling the filter, and it cut the time to less than half when pre-filling (5 to 2 sec).
When I was still working in the Pennzoil express lube about 11 years ago, I always pre filled vertical filters. I didn't pre fill cartridge filters until I experimented with 2.2 Ecotecs in Cobalts. The timing chain cracked like crazy on them on a dry start after changing the oil. Then I poured oil around the entire cartridge filter before reinstalling it and no more noise. I never heard another one clack after doing that. It was slightly annoying to do compared to a vertical canister filter but it proved to me that pre filling is absolutely worth it.

If you're going to pre fill it takes 3-4 pours plus time for the oil level in the filter to sink down between pours before there's actually enough oil in there to even make it worthwhile. So 20 seconds, I don't think so.
I 100% disagree. If you're fussy like me you can refill it 4 times to get it full. Or you can just fill it once and roll it around until it soaks through the media. Same result as the cartridge filter soaking that I just posted about which completely eliminated the timing chain noise. So if you're too lazy to bother doing it at all ..then why are you here on this site in the first place?

This time I used the forum search function and the precise amount of time that it takes to pre-fill an oil filter adjusted for frequency and degree of pedantic comments among 14,754 posts on the subject is exactly 47.32 seconds...

The point is that it is a simple task 😁 I do it and would advise others to do the same if possible.

Lake Speed Jr. did a particle count test on new oil from the bottle and showed it was far cleaner than oil that was poured from the valve cover, into the sump, especially concerning particles of size where oil filters are typically effective at removal. I am not in the least bit worried about the tiny volume of unfiltered oil after an oil change. I am pretty sure SOPUS and Exxon Mobil run their product through filters far better than my engine oil filter before bottling.

Lake Speed Jr. did a particle count test on new oil from the bottle and showed it was far cleaner than oil that was poured from the valve cover, into the sump, ...
Oil that was poured from the valve cover into the sump? Or you mean oil taken from the sump?

Oil that was poured from the valve cover into the sump? Or you mean oil taken from the sump?
I'd have to rewatch the video, but I'm pretty sure one of his specimens was new oil, poured from the bottle into an empty engine. Then he took a sample from the sump, without running the motor, and did a particle count on it. Additional counts were done after running the engine. I think some were done where he purposefully introduced particulate contaminant to see how much the filter would/could remove.

The conclusion was that merely pouring the oil into the test stand motor made the oil magnitudes "dirtier" than it was from the bottle.

Granted, his videos are pretty 101 compared to bitog tribal knowledge.

Last edited:
I 100% disagree. If you're fussy like me you can refill it 4 times to get it full. Or you can just fill it once and roll it around until it soaks through the media. Same result as the cartridge filter soaking that I just posted about which completely eliminated the timing chain noise. So if you're too lazy to bother doing it at all ..then why are you here on this site in the first place?
I think you're addressing the wrong party here. Go back and read again, let it soak in, ya know like said oil filters we're discussing. Why am I here in the first place? You're the one that misunderstood, then you have the nerve to ask why I'm here. Wow 😮

This time I used the forum search function and the precise amount of time that it takes to pre-fill an oil filter adjusted for frequency and degree of pedantic comments among 14,754 posts on the subject is exactly 47.32 seconds...

The point is that it is a simple task 😁 I do it and would advise others to do the same if possible.
What's a simple task. Search function or pre- filling? 😁

Back