Here's a trick for pre filling filters

I'd have to rewatch the video, but I'm pretty sure one of his specimens was new oil, poured from the bottle into an empty engine. Then he took a sample from the sump, without running the motor, and did a particle count on it. Additional counts were done after running the engine. I think some were done where he purposefully introduced particulate contaminant to see how much the filter would/could remove.

The conclusion was that merely pouring the oil into the test stand motor made the oil magnitudes "dirtier" than it was from the bottle.

Granted, his videos are pretty 101 compared to bitog tribal knowledge.
He poured the same clean new oil out of the bottle into the engine valve cover, which would then mix with the used oil in the engine as it drained down into the sump. So even after doing that, if he took a sample from the sump even without running the engine, then of course that sample could be dirtier than the new oil in the bottle was.

He poured the same clean new oil out of the bottle into the engine valve cover, which would then mix with the used oil in the engine as it drained down into the sump. So even after doing that, if he took a sample from the sump even without running the engine, then of course that sample would be dirtier than the new oil in the bottle was.
IIRC, the engine was drained/empty. So yes, there was some minor level of mixing with whatever residual didn't drain out. 5 quarts (or whatever) of new/clean plus whatever quantity of residual.

Which is exactly what would happen to the brand new but unfiltered oil when introduced into the engine via prefil. The new oil isn't inherently dirty because we neglected to run it through the filter. It got "dirty" (relative to the new/bottle state) because it went into a used engine. But you and I both know that, because we regard the new oil as being clean relative to what is in the motor...which is contrary to the argument that supports the filtered-prefill approach.

That is, unless he did an overnight drain with the plug out to get all the residual out of the test stand motor...as you established in the hot vs cold thread.

Edit, please disregard my contributions. I see the LSJ video was already introduced as evidence in page 2. They circulated oil through the engine prior to taking the second sample.

Last edited:
I think you're addressing the wrong party here. Go back and read again, let it soak in, ya know like said oil filters we're discussing. Why am I here in the first place? You're the one that misunderstood, then you have the nerve to ask why I'm here. Wow 😮
Sorry, I thought the only reason you would be bringing up the time to fill the filter would be that you thought it was too long to be worth it. Either way 20 seconds would be enough to at least eliminate a dry start. But yes I agree that filling to the best of your ability would take a minute or two.
I'm used to constantly seeing people saying how it's not worth it because they can't see a difference. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Sorry, I thought the only reason you would be bringing up the time to fill the filter would be that you thought it was too long to be worth it. Either way 20 seconds would be enough to at least eliminate a dry start. But yes I agree that filling to the best of your ability would take a minute or two.
I'm used to constantly seeing people saying how it's not worth it because they can't see a difference. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
All good 👍

The oil was cleaner out of the bottle than it would be after going through the engine and then the filter. This is why the reasoning of "it has to go through the filter before pump" is false. So end result is pre fill the filter unless it seems like too much work for you.
He poured the same clean new oil out of the bottle into the engine valve cover, which would then mix with the used oil in the engine as it drained down into the sump. So even after doing that, if he took a sample from the sump even without running the engine, then of course that sample could be dirtier than the new oil in the bottle was.

The oil was cleaner out of the bottle than it would be after going through the engine and then the filter. This is why the reasoning of "it has to go through the filter before pump" is false. So end result is pre fill the filter unless it seems like too much work for you.
It would have been simpler if he would have just taken a sample of the used oil in the sump and compared that PC to the PC of the new oil right out of the bottle. Mixing the new oil with the old oil is a round about way of comparing the cleanliness of the two. Of course, the PC of the used oil can be effected by the efficiency of the oil filter being used on the engine. If the engine was using super high efficiency bypass filtering system, the used oil might be cleaner than the new oil. But with a regular spin-on filter my bet would be the new oil will be cleaner than the used oil. So I agree, it the new oil is cleaner than the used oil, then there is no reason to not pre-fill the oil filter right out of the new bottle of oil.

. .....So I agree, it the new oil is cleaner than the used oil, then there is no reason to not pre-fill the oil filter right out of the new bottle of oil.
So, no worries about pre-filling with new oil straight out of bottle/jug using the outlet opening. And any title "trick" to pre-filling becomes a moot point. Not that I was going to change practice anyway, but easy outlet opening prefill the way to go. Seems like it took a while to here, but my initial post confirmed. :cool:

Again, depends on the oil filter's efficiency as mentioned before. But obviously the filter used in that video isn't super high efficiency. Plus, the oil pump is always the only component in the engine to see possible unfiltered oil, and oil pumps seem to be pretty robust to wear unless something really bad is going on inside the engine.

I "think" the held view here is that one (for lack of a a better term) "dry"start every X thousand miles is a far different thing than one every start.
The dry start "every X thousand miles" is a little more worrisome than the "one every start" (with leaky anti-drainback valve) because in the latter case there's still some oil in the filter, absorbed by the media, and below the lowest inlet opening (assuming a spin-on filter in horizontal-axis orientation).

Has there ever been a manufacturers recommendation to pre-fill an oil filter?

Has Jiffy Lube and all the rest of the Bobs BBQ and oil change places EVER filled an oil filter?

For those that have pre-filled (I have, but not sure why to be honest) relly know if it makes a difference? How would we ever know?

Honestly, more important things to worry about. My 0.03 (inflation....)
It’s recommended to do it on a 6.7 HO Cummins otherwise you get some nasty chatter on start up.

Back