Ford Duratec 2.5L - 5w-20 vs 5w-30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sick of buying 5w-20 when my other two cars take 5w-30. Tomorrow I'm going to change the oil on the 2010 Escape with SynPower 5w-30, even though Ford specs a 5w-20 for thie application - any particular reason I shouldn't? It has no leaks and no oil consumption with 5w-20, though it does get driven agressively. Thanks for your input.

I just checked the KV100 cst of Synpower 5w30 and it is 10.2 @ 100*C.....a thin 30 weight....you should be fine.
Some of the 5w30's have gone up over 11 @ 100*C....that's a bit thick for a 20 wt. substitution, IMO...

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
No issues. Since it appears to be 'barely driven' a 1 year OCI is feasible.

Hopefully it will start seeing a lot more use now, thought it won't be me driving - I hate the thing. I'm not going to explain how it will be driven because last time I mentioned it in a different thread it ended up almost as bad as if I'd started talking politics... Since it will start getting a lot of hard miles put on it I'm going to just do it every 7K for consistency with my other vehicles.

The 2.5 will never notice the difference. I've even been toying with the idea of running PP Euro 0W40 in mine this summer, mainly to test the mileage hit theory. If it's an actual issue where I see a big hit, I will just dump it since Pennzoil paid me $3 to take 5 quarts of their oil
smile.gif

I fill several with 30 at work and have since new for folks who, like myself, dont think a 20w is in their best interest. No issues. Remember, the difference in viscosity between cold 5/20 and hot 5/20 is an order of magnitude more than the difference in viscosity between a 20 and 30 at operating temp.

Thanks all, I appreciate the reassurances that 5w-30 will serve my car well. Happy Fording!

The Fusion in my sig has the same engine as your Escape (Mazda L5-VE), and I run 5w-30 oil in it often. In fact, I just did an oil change on it about 2 weeks ago, and filled it with 5quarts of Mobil Super Syn 5w30, and used some 5w-20 to finish it out.

In the past, I've even run 10w30, and it didn't seem to notice.

My last fill prior to this one was mostly 5w20 conventional, and so far, I have not noticed any change in MPG since I changed it out.. in fact, my past two fill-ups, my MPG was actually higher than it was 3 weeks ago.

Bottom line, the 2.5 in your car should not care if it has 5w-20 or 5w-30, especially where you are.

Originally Posted By: dogememe
I'm sick of buying 5w-20 when my other two cars take 5w-30.
Correction: Two of your cars are spec'ed for 5w20. (Only your old Suburban is spec'ed for 5w30.)
Therefore, your new strategy might be this: Buy Valvoline MaxLife Full Synthetic 5w20 for ALL THREE. Then, in your Suburban, put in STP Oil Treatment (200 cSt KV100) to nudge visc upward just a bit.

Also, AC-Delco might be prone to getting holes, tears in them. One bitog user on here noticed that, and it resembled the infamous Purolator tearing issues.
Fram Ultra oil filters are really best, but your Wix-NAPAgold oil filter or Royal Purple are good choices as well.

Last edited:
Quote:
5w20 for ALL THREE. Then, in your Suburban, put in STP Oil Treatment

Do not put STP in perfectly good modern oil. Just use the 5/30 and rest assured your motors will live a long happy life. They are specced for 5/30 in every country they are sold that doesnt have a CAFE sytem of sorts anyways.

As ithers have stated... 5w30 is just fine. I ran 5w20 in my Ford Fusion with the 3.0 duratec motor. Usually it was Castrol gold bottle or at times Valvoline full synthetic.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Originally Posted By: dogememe
I'm sick of buying 5w-20 when my other two cars take 5w-30.
Correction: Two of your cars are spec'ed for 5w20. (Only your old Suburban is spec'ed for 5w30.)
Therefore, your new strategy might be this: Buy Valvoline MaxLife Full Synthetic 5w20 for ALL THREE. Then, in your Suburban, put in STP Oil Treatment (200 cSt KV100) to nudge visc upward just a bit.

Also, AC-Delco might be prone to getting holes, tears in them. One bitog user on here noticed that, and it resembled the infamous Purolator tearing issues.
Fram Ultra oil filters are really best, but your Wix-NAPAgold oil filter or Royal Purple are good choices as well.

I'm sorry, there is no way STP oil treatment, or any other aftermarket oil additive, is going to end up in my engines. Nor am I going to put 5W-20 in a 213K mile small block Chevy (in the Suburban) that I totally beat the [censored] out of every time I drive it (though I don't drive it much)...

As for the filters, for the Escape and Suburban I'm going to use whatever I have floating around, which is ACDelco, Microgard, and Wix, but the Crown Vic is going to live on Royal Purple oil filters forever - yes they cost me $10 no I don't care.

Thank you for the advice regardless.

Last edited:
I have used 5w-20 in my Ranger for years as per spec. I made the switch to 5w-30 and not looking back. Engine runs quieter and smoother and gas mileage is actually better. Very scientific, I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back