2018 VW Passat 2.0T reliability...

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the 2018 model year, VW gave put a 2.0T into the Passat vs the previous offering, a 1.8T. Does anyone know if there are any flaws in the 2.0T? I know in years past they had issues with timing chains / tensioners etc. Thanks!

It's a solid engine now; it is in almost every VW line. The timing chain/tensioner issues were a generation or so ago. It only has about 4 more HP than the previous 1.8T that was in the Passats. Proceed with confidence! Looking to replace the Honda?
grin.gif

https://www.truedelta.com/car-reliability-by-brand?min=2017&max=2018

https://www.truedelta.com/Volkswagen-Passat/reliability-282

https://www.edmunds.com/volkswagen/passat/2018/consumer-reviews/pg-1/?sorting=CONFIDENCE

I'm pulling for VW even we don't own VW's. I hope they and other Euro marks begin prioritizing reliability instead of avante garde chic technology for those who lease cars. STill, not holding my breath.

It looks promising for the 18 model year, but even Yugo was decent in its new stages so....grain of salt.

Not quite sure why one would want a Passat when cars like Toyota Avalon and Nissan Maxima are available

Originally Posted By: Speak2Mountain
Not quite sure why one would want a Passat when cars like Toyota Avalon and Nissan Maxima are available

Because people like different things. The Avalon is a snooze-fest and the Maxima is a "sporty" POS.

The Passat is a solid car. I'd buy one over anything else in its class.

The Passat is priced more in line with a Camry. A base level Avalon will be a minimum of $28k(negotiated) plus tax, title etc if you're lucky. The Passat seems to be a pretty good value for the money. About the size of an Avalon for the price of a Camry. Avalon is very nice but seems like a grandpa car. If I did a lot of hwy driving I might get one.

Because the Avalon and Maxima both start at $33K, and that's for the base models. You can get a Passat R-line for under 20K and it's just as much car.

Originally Posted By: Delta

Because the Avalon and Maxima both start at $33K, and that's for the base models. You can get a Passat R-line for under 20K and it's just as much car.

I agree id take a passat any day over an Avalon or a Maxima

Some might ask why one would want an Avalon or Maxima when cars like the Passat are available for less.

I have a 2014 Passat Wolfsburg, so far no problems. Great mileage, good power, lots of passenger room, and an enormous trunk.

I've owned Camrys and Avalons and one POS VW Eos with so many warranty problems in the first 30 months I got rid of it. No more VW products for me. IMO to compare VW reliability with Toyota is laughable.

A friend of mine owns a SEAT dealership which also uses the VW engine, very few issues with them and nothing noteworthy as far as failures go.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Some might ask why one would want an Avalon or Maxima when cars like the Passat are available for less.

Because the love for VW's isn't plentiful on BITOG.....that's why.

https://www.truedelta.com/car-reliability-by-brand?min=2017&max=2018

https://www.truedelta.com/Volkswagen-Passat/reliability-282

https://www.edmunds.com/volkswagen/passat/2018/consumer-reviews/pg-1/?sorting=CONFIDENCE

I'm pulling for VW even we don't own VW's. I hope they and other Euro marks begin prioritizing reliability instead of avante garde chic technology for those who lease cars. STill, not holding my breath.

It looks promising for the 18 model year, but even Yugo was decent in its new stages so....grain of salt.

Because Passat is a car, Avalon and Maxima are boats with four wheels for people who hate driving and usually do not understand it.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
For the 2018 model year, VW gave put a 2.0T into the Passat vs the previous offering, a 1.8T. Does anyone know if there are any flaws in the 2.0T? I know in years past they had issues with timing chains / tensioners etc. Thanks!

No issues. I had it on VW CC and never had single issue. Have on Tiguan, replaced tensioner at 67k, but tensioner is not a problem since 2012.
Just cut oil changes to 5-7.5k, and use oil like Castrol 0W40, Mobil1 0W40 that are available in Wal mart, and do not worry.

It's a solid engine now; it is in almost every VW line. The timing chain/tensioner issues were a generation or so ago. It only has about 4 more HP than the previous 1.8T that was in the Passats. Proceed with confidence! Looking to replace the Honda?
grin.gif

I keep seeing good deals and getting the new car itch! I think I have talked myself down yet again, haha. A shiny new car is very tempting, but I have a paid off Honda Accord with only 50K miles...choices, choices.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
grin.gif

I keep seeing good deals and getting the new car itch! I think I have talked myself down yet again, haha. A shiny new car is very tempting, but I have a paid off Honda Accord with only 50K miles...choices, choices.

Keep the paid off car, especially if it only has 50k miles.

Plus you get the big fat factory warranty no?

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

Because people like different things. The Avalon is a snooze-fest and the Maxima is a "sporty" POS.

The Passat is a solid car. I'd buy one over anything else in its class.

I'm not quite sure either except for the stereotypical moron who ideolizes everything German engineering related. Despite constant let down from VW these stick to their belief with religious conviction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back