4 Year Review VW Passat

I have had this car now for just over four years and have put about 31,000 miles on it in that time. Overall, t has been a great vehicle. With the 2.0 liter Budack cycle engine, I easily get 42-45 mpg cruising on a trip using 89 octane fuel. As I have noted before, these vehicles have a very large back seat with LOTS of room and a massive trunk, making it the perfect sedan for taking on a trip with a family or another couple.

PROS:
-Superb gas mileage
-Large back seat and trunk
-Very comfortable for long trips and about town driving
-Electric power steering feels fine on the road, perhaps just a bit numb
-Engine does not burn any oil between changes done at 5,000 mile intervals using VW 508 (0EW-20) oil
-Lots of knobs for controlling things
-Excellent performance in the snow and on wet roads with Continental Pure Contact tires

CONS:
-Wolfsburg edition does not have a lot of soundproofing so sometimes there is more road noise than I like
-Sound system leaves something to be desired but it still meets my needs. Car does have a CD player

The only warranty work on this car just occurred last week when the dipstick tube clamp broke or malfunctioned allowing the tube to come out of the block, causing rough running and some oil loss. Had it towed to the dealer and it was fixed very quickly.

These are not being produced anymore but if a decent used Passat comes up for sale, this is a good opportunity to purchase a great family vehicle. I would certainly give it a STRONG recommendation.

Yup great MPGs out of the VW's
I put several moving blankets in my trunk and that helped greatly with road noise- although my car is
like a sport back. I see so many really old VW's here even though dealers are 35+ miles away.
Against what we all hear they keep ticking along.

I wish they still made them. Same thing with the Avalon and a regular manual Corolla hatchback. Both stopped being made in '22.

I have had this car now for just over four years and have put about 31,000 miles on it in that time. Overall, t has been a great vehicle. With the 2.0 liter Budack cycle engine, I easily get 42-45 mpg cruising on a trip using 89 octane fuel. As I have noted before, these vehicles have a very large back seat with LOTS of room and a massive trunk, making it the perfect sedan for taking on a trip with a family or another couple.

PROS:
-Superb gas mileage
-Large back seat and trunk
-Very comfortable for long trips and about town driving
-Electric power steering feels fine on the road, perhaps just a bit numb
-Engine does not burn any oil between changes done at 5,000 mile intervals using VW 508 (0EW-20) oil
-Lots of knobs for controlling things
-Excellent performance in the snow and on wet roads with Continental Pure Contact tires

CONS:
-Wolfsburg edition does not have a lot of soundproofing so sometimes there is more road noise than I like
-Sound system leaves something to be desired but it still meets my needs. Car does have a CD player

The only warranty work on this car just occurred last week when the dipstick tube clamp broke or malfunctioned allowing the tube to come out of the block, causing rough running and some oil loss. Had it towed to the dealer and it was fixed very quickly.

These are not being produced anymore but if a decent used Passat comes up for sale, this is a good opportunity to purchase a great family vehicle. I would certainly give it a STRONG recommendation.
How are the brakes and suspension?

Thanks for a usable review.
Did VW make Passat Wagons up until the end?
Not for the N. American market.
Though Europe received them.
1691782422633.jpg

I foresee the full-sized sedan segment gaining in popularity again.
Hopefully in the near future.
🤞

My Passat was awesome, 56k of zero trouble miles out of mine. Smooth, quiet and huge inside, drove great. Was sad to see them go. Didn’t care for the Budack personally and got the last of the VR6’s.

Should have kept it longer.

The engine sound was unpleasant to my ears and I will actually not by a car over that (didn’t in fact).

Transmission tuning was not to my liking either but I hadn’t yet learned to use Sport mode.

I had a 2015 Passat TDI and loved it. I bought it in march and diesel gate hit six months later. VW sent me $1k dollars around Christmas that year as a whoops we screwed up payment. I put 62k miles on it in less than two years and hit a deer with it. VW buyback was way toooo good to pass up for a car with an accident on its record so I went for the buyback two years and three days from when I bought it.
Very roomy especially in the back seat and trunk. The tdi had tons of torque and it ate up highway miles and I achieved several 900+ mile tanks in it.
Ended up in an Audi A4 after the buyback and the A4 was slightly smaller but handled like a dream.

enjoyed my enhanced 1.8T 2001 wolfsburg stick of course for just under 200 thou + 10 years, NO rust in the rust belt because bodies are fully galvanized!! 38 mpg stock + 30 mpg with mods for 275 hp + tq best car i ever owned + replaced by a 2001 TT225Q roadster with 300hp + tq after mods my fun summer ride!!

Had a 1996 Passat, 6 speed manual. Great car. Solid, comfortable and smooth trans. 10+ years later shopping for a convertible, trans ran rings around Mustangs, Solstice etc. Surprised sales guys! Ultimately replaced with a Boxster S after a huge tree limb fell on it during a storm. The car was compressed down to the ground. I cut the tree branches way and it bounced back, remaining very drivable but most of the panels were stoved-in. Was able to band them out, mostly from the interior. Ultimately had to donate it as wife embarrassed by the eyesore parked in our driveway.

Great car!

Suspension is American tuned...a bit soft. But it is not unpleasant nor is the steering. Overall, a wonderful and very comfortable and economical hiway cruiser!

The engine sound was unpleasant to my ears and I will actually not by a car over that (didn’t in fact).

Transmission tuning was not to my liking either but I hadn’t yet learned to use Sport mode.
I don't blame you....
My VW is finicky on gas.
ExxonMobil and Valero run great. The others not so great.

my 2013 vw passat s has been really fine. bought it in 2014 as cpo with 7500 miles, now at 115,000. 25mpg suburbs, 35mpg highway. vw should have kept its 2.5 five cylinder in every model.

my brother made me an offer that i couldn’t refuse for his soon-to-be driving twin kids. so i am replacing it with a new 2023 vw taos s fwd, more on that later…

Back