2018 VW Passat 2.0T reliability...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: edyvw
Originally Posted By: gregk24
For the 2018 model year, VW gave put a 2.0T into the Passat vs the previous offering, a 1.8T. Does anyone know if there are any flaws in the 2.0T? I know in years past they had issues with timing chains / tensioners etc. Thanks!

No issues. I had it on VW CC and never had single issue. ...

The 2.0t in the 2018 Passat is the EA888 Gen 3.B which I think is quite different than the older 2.0t in the VW CC.

FWIW, to OP, the 1.8T EA888 Gen 3 in my 2016 Passat has been fantastic so far and I believe the new 2.0t is very similar to that engine.

Originally Posted By: Vaca
Originally Posted By: edyvw
Originally Posted By: gregk24
For the 2018 model year, VW gave put a 2.0T into the Passat vs the previous offering, a 1.8T. Does anyone know if there are any flaws in the 2.0T? I know in years past they had issues with timing chains / tensioners etc. Thanks!

No issues. I had it on VW CC and never had single issue. ...

The 2.0t in the 2018 Passat is the EA888 Gen 3.B which I think is quite different than the older 2.0t in the VW CC.

FWIW, to OP, the 1.8T EA888 Gen 3 in my 2016 Passat has been fantastic so far and I believe the new 2.0t is very similar to that engine.

yes, it's a 3B version, but detuned compared to the Tiguan with only 174 hp and 184 lb-ft (and not much improvement compared to the 1.8TSI)... to get an extra 2 mpg on the highway.

So you'll have to find a VW508.00 oil for it.

Why not the v6?
It's less complex and more reliable as it ages. Owners strongly prefer it over the 4 cyl models.

Unless your only concern is a lot monthly payment. In that case, sure, get the 2.0 and flog it mercilessly!

coffee2.gif

I have the car until tomorrow night for a test drive. Loving it so far. Very sharp looking and everything feels very solid, stellar gas milage as well! Just not sure I am ready to pull the trigger just yet. I may end up trying to stash away money then put down a large downpayment a couple of years down the road. Although this model will be gone by then. Time will tell.

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
Why not the v6?
It's less complex and more reliable as it ages. Owners strongly prefer it over the 4 cyl models.

Unless your only concern is a lot monthly payment. In that case, sure, get the 2.0 and flog it mercilessly!

coffee2.gif

They ask a lot more for the V6. Not to mention it takes premium fuel and is pretty thirsty.

I'm thrilled with my Jetta, but part of me wishes I had sprung for a Passat. It has more presence, enormous back seat, bigger engine than the 1.4t I have. I leased and it was going to be something like $60 a month more and I simply didn't want to pry my wallet open that much.

Having said that, if I had a 50xxx mile Accord I might be inclined to just drive it until it blows up. I don't like Honda seats very much but a paid-off car is a paid-off car.

Having a competitive Passat available from VW is a good thing for us! More good choices, who doesn't want that?
wink.gif

The Avalon and Maxima are very fast in a straight line, but I imagine a Passat handles better. I did test drive the previous generation (year 2013) Passat and wasn't impressed overall despite the nice large interior, but maybe VW has improved it since then. Back then the Mazda6 (model year 2014) was the king of handling in this segment IMO.

I had a Passat as a loaner for a couple of days, I think it was a 2016 with the 1.8T. I would say if you have a long commute, it was crazy comfortable. Really floated on the road. Power seemed adequate and the fuel economy was also great in the time I had it. I'm not sure I'd trade a newish accord for one though, unless you get one with all the bells and whistles.

But I do like German/European driving dynamics. Not everyone wants a sofa on wheels.

Ideally, German road manners and Toyota reliability. The closest I find to that is Mazda.

Originally Posted By: DrRoughneck
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Originally Posted By: Speak2Mountain
Not quite sure why one would want a Passat when cars like Toyota Avalon and Nissan Maxima are available

Because people like different things. The Avalon is a snooze-fest and the Maxima is a "sporty" POS.

The Passat is a solid car. I'd buy one over anything else in its class.

I'm not quite sure either except for the stereotypical moron who ideolizes everything German engineering related. Despite constant let down from VW these stick to their belief with religious conviction.

The Gen 8 Accord has to be the most boring Honda ever built.
It is a good freeway cruiser and is very quiet and does have ample power if you allow it to reach deeply into the second half of the tach and even sounds good doing so.
Fuel economy is very good in actual use and reliability and durability have been exemplary in mine up to the 86K it now has.
However, it lacks the playful handling found in Gen 5,6 and 7 Accords and lacks their ride compliance as well.
The Gen 8 also lacks the hands-off track accuracy for which Hondas were long well known and actually requires regular small steering corrections.
My guess is that the VW would offer better ride and handling as well as possibly better tracking. It'll have less power but may offer better fuel economy.
Durability and reliability have not typically been associated with VAG products but things may have improved in recent years.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
It'll have less power but may offer better fuel economy.

Passat has less HP, but more torque throughout the entire RPM range. Being an NA engine, the Accord does not reach its peak torque until 4,400 RPM. And at 1,500 RPM, the Passat has more torque than the Accord at 4,400 RPM.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Passat has less HP, but more torque throughout the entire RPM range. Being an NA engine, the Accord does not reach its peak torque until 4,400 RPM. And at 1,500 RPM, the Passat has more torque than the Accord at 4,400 RPM.

I test drove the Passat and came VERY close to purchasing it. I decided I just can't bring myself at this time to trade in my well cared for paid off Accord with only 53K miles. Maybe in 5 years, maybe sooner who knows. When that new car itch hits me it hits hard lol. I have to say though, The Passat felt less punchy than I thought it would. I know our Jetta is a smaller car by comparison, but that thing feels MUCH more lively than the Passat did.

A couple things to note about the Passat that I noticed during the time I had it. Very comfy ride, soaks up bumps nicely even with the 19" wheels. Nice quiet cabin also. Great gas milage! It's pretty nice cruising around in such a large car and getting economy car MPG numbers. Steering and handling were great. Fit and finish was very nice save for the 1 spot I noticed in the headliner that wasn't tucked in properly (that would have drove me nuts). It is a sharp looking car and will age well! Smooth transmission although not as responsive as the 09G in our Jetta. Again I will slightly complain about power. It is certainly sufficient, I just figured they would put a little more OMPH in the 2.0T. Hondas 2.0T by comparison makes about 100 more pound feet of torque. One of my biggest gripes is the stereo system. It is lacking, A LOT. The stock system in my Accord is much better, the Passat sounded very tinny.

Most of those things are me just being nit picky though. I LOVED the car, and if I can hold off another 5 years and if the current Passat at that time still has the same characteristics this one does, it will certainly be on the top of my list. Glad I can still scratch my VW itch by hoping in our Jetta for a spin haha.

Edit: as nice as it is to drive these Turbo'd VW's around, there is something about winding out my n/a K24 to 7K with that VTEC pop at 5K. Feels and sounds so good! haha.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

So, as I wrote, the VW offers less power than does the Honda.
Not surprising that the master of four cylinder engines builds a stronger one.
Any turbo engine offers torque.
That's the whole point.

So, as I wrote, the VW offers less power than does the Honda.
Not surprising that the master of four cylinder engines builds a stronger one.

If you define "stronger" as strictly having higher peak HP, with disregard for all other important engine characteristics, then yes.

Also, VAG does have "stronger" 4-cyl engines available in their portfolio, but they chose not to give one of those to the Passat.

Since BHP is the accepted measure of the work that any powerplant can do, it isn't really a matter of my definition.
Honda too has made higher output four cylinder NA and turbo engines than those offered in the Accord, although I have to agree with you in that something like a 240 bhp 2 liter NA four might not be a happy match for any Accord.
In practical terms, the Accord is probably a more responsive vehicle at highway speeds than is the Passat, although the Passat represents a real value if it proves to be a durable and reliable car in typical use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back