Mobil 1 question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Donald
The ambient temperature of Texas is irrelevant at the engine operating temperature. Only comes into play at cold startup. Follow the temp compensated chart in the owners manual.

Agreed. Good post my friend. Follow the manual also known as the directions. Always.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Originally Posted By: stcif
I have the same truck and motor. I've been running Mobil 1 0W20 EP for about the last 2 years. I've thought about going to 0W30 also but to say this is all confusing to me is an understatement.
Toyota specs 0W20 but then says you can use 5W20 but if you do you MUST switch back to 0W20 at next oil change. Then they mention in the manual you can use a heavier oil if conditions call for it (not in those words). What conditions? I've read on BITOG that lighter oils cool and lubricate better.
I'm keeping it simple and going by the speced oil. Just tried QSUD 0W20.

I would say stick to M1 0W20 EP.
As for 5W20, I think Toyota is trying to make it clear for customers what to use. 0W20 will have better cold start and that is when most of wear and tear happens to engine. They probably think that is big issue, so they want to make a point.

I will probably switch back to Mobil at some point. Thanks for the info. I have a lot to learn.

Originally Posted By: njohnson
I have the same truck and motor. I've been running Mobil 1 0W20 EP for about the last 2 years. I've thought about going to 0W30 also but to say this is all confusing to me is an understatement.
Toyota specs 0W20 but then says you can use 5W20 but if you do you MUST switch back to 0W20 at next oil change. Then they mention in the manual you can use a heavier oil if conditions call for it (not in those words). What conditions? I've read on BITOG that lighter oils cool and lubricate better.
I'm keeping it simple and going by the speced oil. Just tried QSUD 0W20.

The manual doesn't say what those conditions are? Toyota didn't spell out what conditions they are referring to?

Our dad had a Toyota rental vehicle a few years ago, his company paid for a rental car for him to use in travelling to their glass plants. He brought it home before he left on his trip, and we checked it out. I browsed through the owner's manual in the glove box out of curiosity.
I remember it saying if extended highway driving or towing was to be encountered, a 5W-30 would protect the engine better.

Yes it did specify. I checked the manual and couldn't remember specifics. I thought it was more vague. It says a higher viscosity may be better suited if the vehicle is operated at high speeds or under extreme load conditions.

If 0W20 is said to lubricate and cool better why might a heavier oil be better suited under these conditions? I know this has been beaten to death.

- A step up in grade gives you indisputable greater margin of safety under HTHS high load conditions.

- Mobil 1 is not be all end all. Many would prefer Pennzoil or Edge or

Originally Posted By: Moondawg
A question for the experts of motor oil: I have a 2015 Tundra with the small V8. I have been pondering about changing to Mobil 1 EP 0w-30. Would this not be an improvement over 0w-20? Would Toyota allow it while under warranty? I live in So. Texas and to say it is hot most of the year is an understatement. The truck gets 75% highway miles and a fair amount of towing a trailer and contents that weight about 3000 lb.
Do any of you have an opinion on changing from 0w-20 to 0x30? The 0w-20 just seems to me to be very very thin.
Thanks in advance for your words of wisdom.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't your owner's manual say that for towing, sustained high speed etc that a heavier oil isrequired for adequate protection? I've seen that in several Toyota OMs posted here on BITOG, and it's likely in yours as well if you read carefully.

That said, by all means I think a 0w30 would be a great oil for your Tundra.

EDIT: missed this post:

The manual doesn't say what those conditions are? Toyota didn't spell out what conditions they are referring to?

Our dad had a Toyota rental vehicle a few years ago, his company paid for a rental car for him to use in travelling to their glass plants. He brought it home before he left on his trip, and we checked it out. I browsed through the owner's manual in the glove box out of curiosity.
I remember it saying if extended highway driving or towing was to be encountered, a 5W-30 would protect the engine better.

Yes it did specify. I checked the manual and couldn't remember specifics. I thought it was more vague. It says a higher viscosity may be better suited if the vehicle is operated at high speeds or under extreme load conditions.

If 0W20 is said to lubricate and cool better why might a heavier oil be better suited under these conditions? I know this has been beaten to death. [/quote]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back