Confused about Nissan 0w-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bigt61
Just follow whatever is on the oil cap and you're good IMO.

Just to be nit-picky, I don't think Nissan puts the oil recommendation on the cap. There is usually a small sticker on the bottom-side of the hood that tells you what viscosity is recommended.

Having said that, what does the owner's manual say? If it says 5w30 is ok to use, then use that if it makes you sleep better.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
The only thing you'll accomplish with 0W-20 is make the engine noisier and wear it out quicker.

+3

Use the older Nissan spec 30 weight.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
The only thing you'll accomplish with 0W-20 is make the engine noisier and wear it out quicker.

Have you tried 0w10. It's like having a Game of Thrones episode for engines. Someones gonna die and it's going to be epic.

Originally Posted By: Russke
I use an excellent, but cheap Full Syntheic brand called "Tuxton".

Have you made a single post on this forum that has not referred to this brand by name? Is there any reason you're shilling?

Maybe they changed something inside the motor. I kinda doubt it. More like, they tested a bunch of motors and found "acceptable" wear. Maybe it wore the motor faster than 30 weight but at a still acceptable rate. Or maybe it was the same rate of wear, or maybe even less; no way to know.

Someone on here posted that Ford (?) determined going to a 20 weight oil was worth about 0.6% gain in mpg. Most users are hard pressed to measure that.

if you lived more north it might be interesting to try 0W20 in the winter. Less drag until the engine heats up on cold days. Otherwise I'd stick with 5W30, I don't think 0W30 buys you that much in your climate.

Normally something in the engine has been changed to lower the friction when 0w20 is recomended. The primary changes are rollerized valve trains and hydraulic lash adjusters, at times sump capacity is increased, and or an oil to coolant exchanged is added.
Not my engine so I am not interested enough to look it up, but I would see if design changed occurred.

+1 Chevy Badger
Never heard of TUXTON ,, and WHAM a big promo but I cant find much on it won't in my motors and second question how do you RE CALIBRATE an engine for a differnt oil???
50.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nitronoise
and second question how do you RE CALIBRATE an engine for a differnt oil???

You decrease the bearing clearances until only 0W-20 will fit in there.

I am glad I found this thread. I just bought a new 2015 Nissan Pathfinder 4WD - gasoline 3.5 V6. Manual recommends Genuine Nissan Ester Oil 0W-20, but specifically says "SAE 5W-30 conventional petroleum based oil may be used and meets all specifications and requirements necessary to maintain the New Vehicle Limited Warranty."

Does this mean plain ole yellow jug conventional Pennzoil 5W-30 is acceptable?

I am going to change oil every 3,000 - 3,500 miles regardless of what I use.

I was really fretting over picking out a synthetic oil. Given my rigid OCIs and the wording of the manual, does anybody see any concern with conventional 5W-30.

conv is fine but with the now low cost of some `syns , I would go with a cheap syn on sale, any 5w or 0w is good.

Originally Posted By: andrewp1998
conv is fine but with the now low cost of some `syns , I would go with a cheap syn on sale, any 5w or 0w is good.

The manual seems to say either synthetic 0W-20 or conventional 5W-30. Is there any reason synthetic 5W-30 wouldn't be ok in light of that? I would be more comfortable making the jump to synthetic if the 5W-30 would be ok. If I go synthetic, I am trying to decide between the Pennzoil synthetics and the Mobil 1 synthetics. Thoughts on any of those decisions?

I'm not too excited about the idea of Nissan Ester 0W-20. Based on the lack of discussion on that oil, I surmise that it's not all that great and/or a rip-off gimmick. Plus I don't want to go 50k miles on some weird oil and then it all of a sudden be discontinued.

Originally Posted By: CT8
CAFE. Tighter clearances no.

CAFE? Not so much. I use 0-20 for the performance and protection it gives my engines.

Originally Posted By: tig1

CAFE? Not so much. I use 0-20 for the performance and protection it gives my engines.

+1....same reason here. I'm currently using QSUD 0w20.

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian

I understand what y'all are saying about 0W-20 and performance. Do you also mean that it provides better engine protection than 5W-30? Or even every bit as good?

Originally Posted By: New2Syn
Does this mean plain ole yellow jug conventional Pennzoil 5W-30 is acceptable?

It's perfectly fine, and I did so for a long time in my G37. If you read even more carefully, note that they don't even ask for an ILSAC 5w-30. You technically can use a C3 or an E6, E7, E9 5w-30, provided SN is on the packaging. Castrol agrees with me and states that gold bottle 5w-30 C3 dexos2 is acceptable.

Originally Posted By: New2Syn
Originally Posted By: Oregoonian

I understand what y'all are saying about 0W-20 and performance. Do you also mean that it provides better engine protection than 5W-30? Or even every bit as good?

What's the extra protection from a 0W20 ?

35.gif
36.gif

Pennzoil Oil Selector recommends 5W-30 in synthetics and conventional for this 2015 Nissan VQ35DE engine that's in my Pathfinder. I emailed them a copy of where the manual recommends Nissan Ester 0W-20. Shell emailed me back and they emphatically stand behind their 5W-30 recommendation for this engine for both synthetic and conventional. In the email, they suggested I use 5W-30 Pennzoil Platinum. That's what I'm going to do.

Reading between the lines of things I've read here, other fora, and in my owner's manual, I have concluded that 0W-20 is to appease the EPA gods. Most any engine these days will get you to the 120,000 mile range regardless of how its treated, and Nissan (and others) are sure that 0W-20 will do that well. That gets the average driver 8 - 10 years, and past the warranty period and the economically unsound 72 month payoff. Then you get a couple or 3 more years of service out of your vehicle. Then it bites the dust--it has lasted longer than Nissan (or whoever) guaranteed so it must have been a good ole car and you can't wait to go buy another one. You're happy; Nissan (or whoever) is happy; the banks are happy; and the EPA is thrilled to have another "old" car off the road and--guess what--it's 2024 now so you can use 0W--16 (or maybe even 0W-12 or 10).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back