Cut 3 Motorcraft Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
So been hearing and seeing all the bad about Motorcraft filters and decided to check some myself.

I cut open a used FL820S that looked good except the end glue was not attached to the steel cap on the threaded side.

Then I have 2 dented filters (Rockauto rejects) that I had on the shelf and cut them open. The 820S had very bad pleat spacing and some glue resin looked like it started to separate. I used a hacksaw so the damage to the media was from that.

The FL400S looked great.

I am feeling good about the 400s, but not so much on the 820. Think I will be using Wix next time as I can get the real WIX brand for under $4.00 through a work discount.

I was going to post the pictures but don't have my own webpage - never heard of needing that. If anyone wants the pictures I could send them.

You just need a place to host your pictures. Look at imageshack.com, its still free I believe. Upload the picture, once uploaded, use the imageshack options to get a "forum" link to the picture and paste it here.

Originally Posted By: ShotGun429
i open many MC 820s For the Crown vics I service here. always look good. I truely dont see your point.

There were some torn FL-820 photos posted here a while back. Guess the point is that there have been some reported Motorcraft filter failures ... more than what would be considered normal.

cmlind: you can shoot me a pm with filter pics and I will gladly post them for you
smile.gif

Last week I cut open a MC FL 910S and it was excellent. Also I removed a MC 2017B from the Fusion and it was very good. I personally have never seen a bad MC oil filter of mine.

Last edited:
Please DO NOT use ImageShack to post photos, and please stop recommending people do so.

I have no idea how ImageShack found it's way to be the most commonly recommended host for photos used in forum posts, but it's the worst of a large number of possible options.

It is obvious that people who recommend it never have read the terms of use.

If you don't follow the terms of use, and especially someone who uses ImageShack once to post a photo to a forum post has about a 1% chance of doing so, do not realize that ImageShack will delete your photos in 6 months time, so that someone reading your post cannot see your photo ever again.

They also have a habit of replacing your photo with an advertisement once their hosting time limit expires.

If the photo is worth posting in the first place, it's worth being viewable next March as well as this one.

I recommend imagr, but there are dozens of image hosts that won't delete your photo from a forum post in x amount of time. Use one of those instead, please.

http://imgur.com

I guess my point was that people seem to like to see filters cut open here. I have been spending way too much time looking also. Thought I would share my experience with no failures on my end. There have been quite a few pictures of torn media lately.

Yes, please don't use imageshack.

So many forum threads become effectively useless after a time because imageshack is so awful.

I'm kind of excited I just found one of the old, larger FL-400S's circa 07/2009 at an Autozone in the boonies.
Mf7f56K.jpg

I'll run it next change, probably with an extra quart of oil to compensate for the extra-oversized filter, and pop it open afterwards.

To post images like that, put
tags around the URL imgur gives you when you upload the image. To upload to imgur, you can simply drag and drop into imgur's site to start the upload

Code:
Mf7f56K.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: car51
WellOiled: he sent me the pics and I will post them up Friday or Saturday
smile.gif

thank you - car51
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back