FL-820S Cut Open

I cut open the last filter from my 820 stash.
Filter was in service on a 2020 Ford F350 7.3L
181hrs, 6049km (3780miles) on oil (Kirkland 5w30)
Typical wavy pleats.
I inspected closely for tears and found none.
Champ XL went back on.

image001.jpg

image003.jpg

image004.jpg

image005.jpg

image006.jpg

image009.jpg

I don't blame you for wanting to use a different filter. These Ford branded filters have had some declined QC. How do you like the 7.3? I'll assume they didnt offer that engine in the dual rear wheel & that your's is single rear wheel. Do I have that right?

I don't blame you for wanting to use a different filter. These Ford branded filters have had some declined QC. How do you like the 7.3? I'll assume they didnt offer that engine in the dual rear wheel & that your's is single rear wheel. Do I have that right?
Yes I wanted a filter that I could run for two OCI since I run short OCI anyways and the 820s weren't giving me a warm fuzzy feeling about doing that.

I like the 7.3L, I have about 70k miles on it and 3800hrs now. The power and and torque curves are similar to the early 2000s diesels that I owned and it reminds of of driving them. It should serve my use well as long as it doesn't eat the lifters and cam which it seems a very small percentage of them do when idled a lot like mine is, I don't worry about it however, I just keep changing the oil at 200hr intervals.

You are correct that my truck is a SRW but they also did offer the 7.3 in DRW configurations including even C&C and I believe F550 and F650s.

Last edited:
Yes I wanted a filter that I could run for two OCI since I run short OCI anyways and the 820s weren't giving me a warm fuzzy feeling about doing that.

I like the 7.3L, I have about 70k miles on it and 3800hrs now. The power and and torque curves are similar to the early 2000s diesels that I owned and it reminds of of driving them. It should serve my use well as long as it doesn't eat the lifters and cam which it seems a very small percentage of them do when idled a lot like mine is, I don't worry about it however, I just keep changing the oil at 200hr intervals.

You are correct that my truck is a SRW but they also did offer the 7.3 in DRW configurations including even C&C and I believe F550 and F650s.
Yeah, As soon as I heard about them launching a potential 7.3L I thought right away they were going to be at least close to the diesel horsepower/torque ratings. It looks like they beat the 1997 7.3L torque of around 450 & really beat the horsepower LOL. I think you got the 10 speed auto for 2020 & that is one of the best things they've done to these trucks in my opinion. If I may ask what your fuel mileage is? Fuelly is showing 12.15 - 13.09 MPG avg Fuelly 2020 7.3 gas

Your right about the 7.3L being offered in the dually. I didn't think they did but just did some ford forum searches & there they were. You must like your truck since you already have 70k... Nice!

Yeah, As soon as I heard about them launching a potential 7.3L I thought right away they were going to be at least close to the diesel horsepower/torque ratings. It looks like they beat the 1997 7.3L torque of around 450 & really beat the horsepower LOL. I think you got the 10 speed auto for 2020 & that is one of the best things they've done to these trucks in my opinion. If I may ask what your fuel mileage is? Fuelly is showing 12.15 - 13.09 MPG avg Fuelly 2020 7.3 gas

Your right about the 7.3L being offered in the dually. I didn't think they did but just did some ford forum searches & there they were. You must like your truck since you already have 70k... Nice!
I just did a hand calculated MPG from a trip of about 150miles, mostly two lane highway with some in town driving and about 30min of idle time and it came out to 13.0MPG. Thats with 37" tires and a 5" lift, heavy steel bumpers and about 1000lb of cargo. I have 3.73 gearing which with the 37s would be the same as 3.4 with the stock size tires.

Yes its the 10 speed. Can only get the 7.3 with the 10 speed in a pickup.

I just did a hand calculated MPG from a trip of about 150miles, mostly two lane highway with some in town driving and about 30min of idle time and it came out to 13.0MPG. Thats with 37" tires and a 5" lift, heavy steel bumpers and about 1000lb of cargo. I have 3.73 gearing which with the 37s would be the same as 3.4 with the stock size tires.

Yes its the 10 speed. Can only get the 7.3 with the 10 speed in a pickup.
Can't argue with those results that's for sure. Not bad for mass of this truck.

For what I have seen with the Motorcraft filter prices recently, I now expect better from these.

Back