Battery powered impact wrenches for automotive

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a little one, not for lugnuts, but it eats all the stupid 10mm fasteners for breakfast.

I have a 1/2 in Harbor Freight impact. Works surprisingly well for lug nuts and suspension work.

Originally Posted By: Stewie
Am I the only one around here who uses them for that?

Search is your friend. Lots of discussion on this subject.

Don't like them. They (or at least some of the people that use them) seem to break things a lot.

I have a nice Japanese hit-it-with-a-hammer impact driver which is pretty essential for motorcycles.

I suppose they'd sometimes be useful with a rotating assembly that you couldn't easily clamp, but for standard fastners I don't see the need.

Unless you're a pro. Then your time is money

Last edited:
I used my Ni-Cd powered one until the battery wore out. By then there was an air compressor in the picture, so it didn't get replaced.

Originally Posted By: user52165

Revive a 10 y/o thread?

Originally Posted By: user52165

Revive a 10 y/o thread?

Try these recent ones:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3931715/Cordless_impact#Post3931715

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4010821/Cordless_ratchet:_3/8%22_or#Post4010821

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3852199/Impact_wrench_world-#Post3852199

Last edited:
I use a cordless DEWALT all the time. Mostly lugnuts, to be honest, as I swap tires a lot at the track. Works great. Not the most powerful impact, but for may nuts and bolts, it's more than enough.

robert

I use Milwaukee M18 Fuel 1/2" impact wrench for lug nuts & brake job, and M18 Fuel 1/4" impact driver for light duty things, such as removing the valve cover nuts. So I guess you are not alone.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
I have a 1/2 in Harbor Freight impact. Works surprisingly well for lug nuts and suspension work.

A big +1. It doesn't see daily use but has taken on some big jobs in the past couple years. I've found the nose cone gears loosen up over time, but a couple taps on the 1/2" square gets things back in line.

Back to the OP's battery impact topic. I haven't used the lighter weight impacts on car stuff but I have used them driving lags into lumber. Very impressive. I've love to pickup a porter cable 18v to use with my drill batteries...

Originally Posted By: dgunay

I use Milwaukee M18 Fuel 1/2" impact wrench for lug nuts & brake job, and M18 Fuel 1/4" impact driver for light duty things, such as removing the valve cover nuts. So I guess you are not alone.

I use the same setups. The new brushless tools are amazing.

I've recently added the M12 3/8" ratchet to my arsenal. One of the best tools I've ever bought. I reach for it constantly. No cords/air lines, or compressor noise to deal with.
58085_2457-20_1-lg.gif

I have the Milwaukee M18 Fuel high torque cordless impact wrench. Its up there with the best pneumatic wrenches for ft/torque and its my go-to impact for almost everything, especially things outside like trailers, Bobcat tires.

If I worked in a shop all day long I would have an pneumatic, while they need an air hose, they are lighter, more balanced and can probably take being dropped, dragged around, etc.

The key to cordless is to settle on a brand/battery and buy one set with battery/charger then bare tools.

Originally Posted By: dgunay

I got myself a set of Milwaukee M18 Fuel tools for Christmas. I just used the 1/2" impact last Saturday to pull the tires for a brake bleed job. Totally awesome. It made the job so easy. The model I bought has 4 RPM settings. I used the lowest one to put the lug nuts back on, and only allowed the wrench to pound on the nuts about 1/2 a second once they were spun on. It only took about 1/8 of a turn on the torque wrench for each nut. To me, it seemed that I couldn't have asked for a better setup.

I also have the 1/4" hex impact but haven't used it on the cars yet.

Love the idea of the 3/8" ratchet. I'll have to add that to my Milwaukee tool wish list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back