Oil capacity 1967 Ford 352

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 67 F250 2wd barely took 4 quarts with filter change when I changed the oil. Looking online, I see people saying everything from 4 to 7 quarts at oil and filter change. Anyone have experience with these Ford FE engines? I wonder if my dipstick is wrong...

You might have some work to do. There were different oil pans with sumps located in the front and back depending on the application. You pick up might have an engine and/or oil pan from a different vehicle. The dipstick might not be the correct one as well.

Here's one link with some info.

I'd start looking around and trying some different forums and start to become an expert on your problem. Try some local rebuild shops that specialize in complete engine rebuilds, too.

Also check to see if your engine has B9AE-6090 stamped on either side of the cylinder head? These were early production engines for the pickups and they have had the valves machined an additional 0.015 further into the heads. Consequently, the valve stems were shortened 0.032”. This has been a problem during head work and can make a mess out of an otherwise careful job.

These Y-Block engines are really durable and will outlast you with reasonable care.

I had an old Galaxie with a 390 in it, that motor held 5 quarts. Kind of funny that those old big blocks only held 5, and my little 2.0L Focus engine holds 6.

A 67 F250 2WD is an FE (not Y block).

Though 67 models are somewhat of an oddball it should have a front sump pan.

Many folks overfill them by a quart due to the propensity to slosh oil backwards and lose pressure under acceleration. Milodon makes a cobra jet reproduction pan with baffles that minimizes that tendency.

Two best places for info:

FE Forum

The 1967-1972 Ford F-series Pickup Resource

You may find this particularly on point:

Oil Pans and Dipsticks

Originally Posted By: ryanschillinger
My 67 F250 2wd barely took 4 quarts with filter change when I changed the oil. Looking online, I see people saying everything from 4 to 7 quarts at oil and filter change. Anyone have experience with these Ford FE engines? I wonder if my dipstick is wrong...
Those base FE motors weren't too hard on oil, most of them seemed to come with 2 barrel carbs, & they weighed a LOT-we had a '68 F-100 Ranger & a '67 Galaxie 500, both with 390 2 barrels, they would run on just about any oil you put in them, we usually used straight 30 or 10W40. Now a 427, might be a different story-a little 15W50 might be a better bet.

Yeah I read that fordification article about dipsticks. Seems like dipsticks and tubes vary, but capacity should be same. I know it's the original engine, and probably original oil pan. Changing the pan is a big job on these...
Couple guys say they run 6 quarts with no problems in these engines. They said to put 6 in, let it settle, and use a file to mark the dipstick where it sits. Just odd that it would only take about 4 quarts including filter change.

Originally Posted By: Jason8691
I had an old Galaxie with a 390 in it, that motor held 5 quarts. Kind of funny that those old big blocks only held 5, and my little 2.0L Focus engine holds 6.

The oil performs a considerable amount of the cooling hence the larger amount of oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back