Change viscosity? High mile 4.6 2V burns oil

I’ve been kicking around the idea of changing the viscosity of my oil. My truck (2002 F150 4.6 226k miles w/no leaks) and the reason for the decision is because my truck burns about 1/2 to 3/4 of a quart roughly every 3000’ish miles. I always use PUPS 5W20 and Fram Ultra Synthetic oil filters.

I do remember finding old literature from Ford stating that burning about 1/2 a quart around 3K miles after the last OCI was normal but I could never confirm this with Ford techs or dealerships service centers.. so who better to turn to than the oil fanatics on here 😊

Any recommendations for other viscosity/weights?

Your oil consumption is very minimal for the mileage of your vehicle.

I would go to 5w-30. Ford made the switch from 5w-30 to 5w-20 to meet CAFE regulations with no internal changes to the 4.6/5.4. Plus, you can get Dexos1-approved oils for an additional peace of mind with higher minimum performance, although PUP 5w-30 is not Dexos1 approved to my knowledge.

I ran 40 and 50 in my 5.4 even when it was new long ago. Completely ignored the silly 5w-20 recommendation. Switch to a 40 grade. I'd use 15w-40 since you're in ca and it doesn't get cold. I currently use 15w-40 in my old gm trucks and 5w-40 in my new one which specs 0w-20.

Your log-in name here is Twisted1. Your vehicle should be named Freaky1.
It's very-very rare for a 18 year-old truck with 226k mileage not to have any leaks and only do 2/3rds if a quart of consumption in 3k miles driven.

Most of the recommendations here suggest a bump to 5w30. I suggest 0w40 and Walmart carries a good one in Mobil-1. If you can't find it there, then grab any name-brand synthetic in 10w30. Then watch as the next 3k miles pile-up, your consumption concern will go Buh-Bye..... All Gone..... Nice Knowing You.

Last edited:
I ran Mobil 1 0w40 in my 5.0 F150 all the time and it was a 5w20 factory fill. I've put that oil in nearly every vehicle I've ever owned. I don't know if that would help your oil consumption, but the engine would run just fine on a higher viscosity.

Before that I always used 0w30 Castrol. the Mobil 1 0w40 is just easy to get nearly everywhere.

Your log-in name here is Twisted1. Your vehicle should be named Freaky1.
It's very-very rare for a 18 year-old truck with 226k mileage not to have any leaks and only do 2/3rds if a quart of consumption in 3k miles driven.

Most of the recommendations here suggest a bump to 5w30. I suggest 0w40 and Walmart carries a good one in Mobil-1. If you can't find it there, then grab any name-brand synthetic in 10w30. Then watch as the next 3k miles pile-up, your consumption concern will go Buh-Bye..... All Gone.

Freaky1 would actually make a whole lot of sense haha!

A little history behind my username “Twisted1”..
I work in behavioral health and most of my time is spent at men’s prisons either counseling or monitoring behaviors (for recording or reporting purposes). I hear the most TWISTED things from inmates that suffer from either personality disorders or are just full blown psychopaths (medically diagnosed).. And sometimes, I feel like I’m the only “1” that hears all of the twisted evil things that are said by these inmates either towards me or others that work there..

So in conclusion, that was the reason behind the name “Twisted1” lol.

Your oil consumption is very minimal for the mileage of your vehicle.

I would go to 5w-30. Ford made the switch from 5w-30 to 5w-20 to meet CAFE regulations with no internal changes to the 4.6/5.4. Plus, you can get Dexos1-approved oils for an additional peace of mind with higher minimum performance, although PUP 5w-30 is not Dexos1 approved to my knowledge.
I’d use an ACEA C3 in 5w30 long before I went out of my way to toss some shekels into GM’s pocket. The M1 0w40 is a solid recommendation as well.

I’ve been kicking around the idea of changing the viscosity of my oil. My truck (2002 F150 4.6 226k miles w/no leaks) and the reason for the decision is because my truck burns about 1/2 to 3/4 of a quart roughly every 3000’ish miles. I always use PUPS 5W20 and Fram Ultra Synthetic oil filters.

I do remember finding old literature from Ford stating that burning about 1/2 a quart around 3K miles after the last OCI was normal but I could never confirm this with Ford techs or dealerships service centers.. so who better to turn to than the oil fanatics on here 😊

Any recommendations for other viscosity/weights?
That is not bad consumption at all. Wait till the engine consumes a quart every 1500 miles, then make a change..

I'd run 5w30 or 5/10w40 int it. I have a 5.4l 2v and run 10w40 in the summer camper pulling season. And I have 0w40 PP in it for the winter.

I would run a 5w-30 or 10w- 30 H.M. oil at this point for the rest of the trucks like

Not saying this will help, but many of us here have oil consumption issues with Pennzoil Platinum and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. Maybe worth trying a different brand for a few runs.

Reactions: wlk
Back