New to us!

Wifie and I just purchased a 2017 Ford Explorer Limited with every option, stupid low miles and priced right! First thing I did was change the oil, oil filter, air filter and cabin air filter. All were due! Used Havoline Pro-DS 5-W30 synthetic, Fram Synthetic filter, Fram air and cabin filters. The Havoline comes in a 6 quart box, perfect for the 5.7 quart capacity and filter, straight out of Wally World. She Drove it 700 miles home and loves it ! Win!!! It has the 2.3 L turbo 4, any better suggestions for oil??
2017 Explorer.jpg

Great car. Sorry you had to change the cabin lol. The first time I ever changed the cabin in one of these I broke the entire bottom of the glovebox and costed the shop a ton lol. I say use whatever oil you like that meets spec. Motorcraft is always a good choice for a Ford. 🙂

Is it the awd model. If it is buy amsoil or hpl 140 gear oil for the diffs. As for the engine use a 0/5w-40. Change the trans fluid too. The coolant is coming up but i might do that in a couple years.

Does it have a PTU ?
Yeah if it's got awd the ptu needs it soon not later. And with the best 140 grade no less. But is the ptu serviceable on the 17. I believe some early ones were sealed and you had to drill and tap it. Hope his isn't that.

We have a bought new 2017 Explorer XLT with the 2.3L EcoBoost. Over all it's been a real nice vehicle. It's a great driving vehicle for long distance trips. It's smooth and quiet, you'll being doing 75+ and not even realize it. The electric steering is precise, brakes are great and fuel economy is good for such a large heavy vehicle, much better than the previous 2005 4.6 Explorer. The PTU has an easy to reach drain and fill plug, It's being done at ~ 20,000 mi intervals. The transmission fluid is easier to change than the engine oil and filter. The rear diff fluid is a beatch to change. Ended up using a mighty vac to change as much as possible at 20,000 mi and did it again some 40,000 mi later. Initially changed the ATF at 10,000 mi and again at another 10,000 mi. The initial drain was nasty, the second drain was less nasty but still looked bad. I've been doing 20,000+ mi drain and fills and it's been much better. Our's had a leaky water pump at 20,000 miles. Warranty replaced the pump and it's been fine since. It's an external pump so it was "easy" to replace thankfully. The only other more serious issue was the leaking timing cover, had it replaced twice under warranty. They got it right the second time by being much more careful with the cleaning prep and application of the RTV, it does not have a gasket. It has 87,000+ miles on it. The rear factory brakes lasted till 50,000 mi and the factory front brakes lasted to about 87,000 miles. Also ours has a sunroof and for a few years we'd have some water leaks. I read about cleaning out the drains. So far that has not leaked. Enjoy yours!

Wifie and I just purchased a 2017 Ford Explorer Limited with every option, stupid low miles and priced right! First thing I did was change the oil, oil filter, air filter and cabin air filter. All were due! Used Havoline Pro-DS 5-W30 synthetic, Fram Synthetic filter, Fram air and cabin filters. The Havoline comes in a 6 quart box, perfect for the 5.7 quart capacity and filter, straight out of Wally World. She Drove it 700 miles home and loves it ! Win!!! It has the 2.3 L turbo 4, any better suggestions for oil??View attachment 180209
So you finally stopped her from jumping in one of your airplanes, to grocery shop at Publix Supermarket?
What a nice ride you got her. Sounds like you'll take of care it too.

Had a 2017 Explorer patrol car. Bigger motor but the thing was bullet-proof (excuse the pun). My patrol beat was a rough/rural area and I beat the heck out of it. Got it was 32 miles on the ODO and turned it in with 110,000 in 2020. Only thing ever replaced was a radiator and alternator. Great car!

Back