What Healthy Dog Food For 5 Yr Old Doberman ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am asking my Bitog friends because everyone here is great and this is an important question. what dog food is the best to keep my Doberman Healthy ? Not really worried about cost just good food for my best friend.

Find something with a specific meat or meat meal listed as the first ingredient. Avoid most grains if you can. Probably a good idea to skip the 30 lb bag for $20 stuff at the store (i.e. Alpo, Ol'Roy, Pedigree, Purina, etc.).

I've had dobes for 15 years now. Best we've found is raw meat by AFS sold as Majestic. We spent about 220/month for 3 dogs. However, with dobes very likley tendency to DCM they need reduced protein at older ages (5+) in the event they do succumb to heart issues and need diarehetics which tax the kidneys heavily. This with phosphorous from high animal derived protein can prove very sickening if not lethal do the dog.

Your vet will not know squat.

Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
I would ask a Veterinarian, or better yet a group of vets.

+1. All the stuff you read about Chinese sourced animal food of questionable quality being sold by brand names is scary.

They are only two brands that stand out for me.
Wellness and Blue Buffalo...

Blue does their antioxidant and vitamin in seperate kibbles ( two kinds in the box ) and every dog i know just ignores those bits so its waste in my book.

They are completly made in USA , and they are into hollistic no filler stuff.

They can get pretty expensive compared to big bags Costco has, but I think its worth it.

I switched my medium breed between brands before, and aside him being VERY picky his coat has always been best with WEllness.

I like their CORE line up, alot of protein, medicore fat and alot of antioxidants and vitamins.

Last edited:
Have had many dogs, and all did well on Purina Dog Chow. Stay away from.really cheapo stuff, poor nutrition and fillers as mentioned, your dog will be hungry and volume of stool will be ... magnificent.

I feed my dogs Acana Pacifica. I started off with Taste of the Wild then most of the brands had recalls. Including Costco's.

Also Alpo, Ol'Roy, Pedigree, Purina, etc. from the store are all corn. Would you be able to eat corn every day and expect to be healthy?, NO!

You're not suppose to feed corn and grain to your dogs. The number one health problem is from their poor and terrible diet.

I only recommend Orijen and Acana

Top tier:
Orijen/Acana
Blue Wilderness
Wellness Core
Taste of the Wild

If cost becomes an issue, The Tractor Supply house brand 4Health is made by Diamond and is pretty good quality, and I think about $37 for the big bag if you get the grain-free variety. It's good middle of the road food, is lacking a lot of the fillers and trash that Wal-Mart food has, and unless you're feeding a herd, it doesn't cost much more than the generic corn chunks. The grain-free is in the dark brown bags.

Vets and kennels often learn about nutrition from pet food sales reps, and push the Nestle brands (like Science Diet, which is junk) for that reason. Stay away from any of Nestle's brands and anything from Wal-Mart.

You can really judge any food yourself. The first few ingredients should be specific meats. Avoid anything with soy, corn, grains, or anything labeled by-product. A higher percentage of protein is usually good as long as it isn't from soy or another plant.

I have found that BARF is the best diet for dogs.
BARF is an acronym for Bones And Raw Food or some people call it Biologically Appropriate Raw Food.
Either way it's the same thing.

There are books available on the subject.
Naturally a google search will yield results.

I had a dog that was dying from incurable cancer which prompted me to try whatever I could to help him fight the disease.
I initially put him on the BARF diet and within a couple of days, it was like winding the clock back 2 or 3 years. He was like a new dog. Unbelievable.
He eventually succumbed to the disease, but it was very beneficial for him while on the BARF.
I have a new dog now and he only gets BARF or other raw food.
He's like a lean mean machine.
I have never had a dog with so much power and vitality in my life.
His stools are perfect at all times as well, which is a good indicator of the quality of the diet.

Avoid corn and other cheap fillers and look for meat as the 1st ingredient. Rice and fruits/veggies should make up most of the rest.

My personal top choices are...

Wellness
Natural Balance
Blue Buffalo
Taste Of The Wild

I don't know what formula would be best for your dog( i.e; lamb & rice, fish and sweet potato, venison, etc... ). I would talk with your vet and see if he/she has a recommendation that is right for your dog.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: andrewg
This is the very best dog kibble I've ever used. I've had dogs all my life and in my opinion, this brand is truly fantastic.
Read the ingredient lists to the various canine formulas.
Great stuff!!
http://tasteofthewildpetfood.com/products/
I second TOTW... An excellent, high protein food. Very little waste on the exhaust end. I get mine at TSC. Currently on sale, 30 pound bag, 42.99 .

Originally Posted By: andrewg
This is the very best dog kibble I've ever used. I've had dogs all my life and in my opinion, this brand is truly fantastic.
Read the ingredient lists to the various canine formulas.
Great stuff!!
http://tasteofthewildpetfood.com/products/

I agree with this one, my pooch never really thrived until we got her off the grain based foods.
YMMV
Smoky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back