School me on pepper spray, gel, foam, etc. Bonus point points for actual experience on dogs.

So lately, I've taken to walking about my rural area for exercise and (not to mention escape from the women folk) and I sometimes do it after dark. Usually, everyone has their dogs under control around here, but I'd rather not have to shoot one in case someone's Fido is out and decides I'm a bad guy. I was about to order some Sabre brand spray just now, but thought I would ask for "expert" advice before I just picked one (It seems we're all experts on everything here, LOL) . What is the suggested brand, format and delivery system you all prefer? Real world experience is tops.

I carried Mace pepper spray from Cabelas for years on the bike. Now I have some OC spray I got from somewhere I can't mention. The pepper spray I used it on the leader of a pack of dogs and that was enough to make it stand on it's head.. the others stopped and wondered what just happened. The OC spray all you need to do is spray it upwind and it gets their attention. I've only had to do so 3 times over 10 years.

How about actual experience on people? When I was in the Navy I had to get pepper sprayed for the "Auxiliary Security Force" (Voluntold position). It was to learn compassion for it's use. We carried a 9mm or M16 as well. I asked why they were not shooting for the sake of compassion. Everyone laughed.

It hurts and I was not at all pleased. I think, if memory serves me had 1.2 and 2 percent. They always told us it was enough to stop a dog.

whatever you get buy an extra can and try it out to see how it sprays so you are ready if you need it.

Spray, foam, fog.. whatever.

I use a stun baton like this..
1708632809820.jpg

It works better because it will stop an attacking dog instantly, just like it will do to a human. Once the dog is knocked down by it they will be done attacking you and will run off. Most of the time it will stop an attacking dog before it ever gets to you because of the loud snapping noise that it makes. Dogs tend to be terrified by this noise. Make sure that it is at least 15" long (I purchased the 18.5" model) because you don't want the dog coming anywhere near your arm.
The problem with pepper spray is that when you use it outside the wind will blow some of it on YOU, they are very hard to aim effectively, and it may not stop an aggressive pit.

Last edited:
I carried Mace pepper spray from Cabelas for years on the bike. Now I have some OC spray I got from somewhere I can't mention. The pepper spray I used it on the leader of a pack of dogs and that was enough to make it stand on it's head.. the others stopped and wondered what just happened. The OC spray all you need to do is spray it upwind and it gets their attention. I've only had to do so 3 times over 10 years.
OC = Pepper Spray Same Same.

I've been sprayed twice on purpose. It sucks. Just remember if you spray, you are GOING to get it on you. There is pretty much no way you can avoid it. It won't be much, but you're going to either touch your face at some point, or breathe some in. I would recommend showering as soon as you get home, and washing your clothes.

It does work on dogs very well, but you have to be able to hit them. Usually it sprays in a pretty tight stream so what @Rand said, buy an extra can and spray it for practice.

I've not ever sprayed anyone, and probably won't ever, I have people for that, but I have certainly responded to the aftermath of sprayings, probably a dozen times over the last 5 years. It always sucks to play around in, even with good ventilation. Outside it would be better, but like I said, there's a 95% chance you're going to get some on you somewhere.

I believe you get a better aim if you use your thumb, NOT your forefinger to apply the spray.
I carry pepper spray all the time (I watch the evening news).
I have never used it, but I like the 'gel' more than the atomizing spray.
Out in public .... I carry Mace 2.8 ounce container.
While at home .... I have 11.6 ounce near the door.

I think the 'bear' sprays are atomizing.
Most people would not have a steady aim if a bear is about to attack.

Last edited:
I love OC as a defensive weapon and have used it on plenty of 2 and 4 legged animals. We currently carry Sabre Red (10% oleoresin capsicum) in the stream delivery 2oz. cans. Regular spray is light and gets all over everything including yourself in the slightest breeze. Gel makes a mess for decon (not really a concern for wild animal) so we don't like it. I hate getting any OC on me. I've been sprayed (intentionally and not so intentionally) dozens of times and I'd much rather be Tasered than sprayed. All that said, OC can be iffy on animals. I've sprayed a couple that have just kinda shaken it off and attempted to continue their attack. Works much better on human targets though. Don't know about stun poles etc., you have to get close to use them. Tasers work right up until the point the current stops, then the animal runs and the leads are broken giving them another chance to attack. There is a kinetic device out made by a company called Byrna that may be another option as well. In the end, the only sure fire way I've stopped an animal attack was with a firearm unfortunately. Lots of concerns with that method though.

I love OC as a defensive weapon and have used it on plenty of 2 and 4 legged animals. We currently carry Sabre Red (10% oleoresin capsicum) in the stream delivery 2oz. cans. Regular spray is light and gets all over everything including yourself in the slightest breeze. Gel makes a mess for decon (not really a concern for wild animal) so we don't like it. I hate getting any OC on me. I've been sprayed (intentionally and not so intentionally) dozens of times and I'd much rather be Tasered than sprayed. All that said, OC can be iffy on animals. I've sprayed a couple that have just kinda shaken it off and attempted to continue their attack. Works much better on human targets though. Don't know about stun poles etc., you have to get close to use them. Tasers work right up until the point the current stops, then the animal runs and the leads are broken giving them another chance to attack. There is a kinetic device out made by a company called Byrna that may be another option as well. In the end, the only sure fire way I've stopped an animal attack was with a firearm unfortunately. Lots of concerns with that method though.
You sure live up to your profile photo!

I picked up a can of bear spray at ****'s a few years ago for dog walking. Had to use it on a Chow mix that wasn't planning to stop his charge. It sprayed almost all the way across the street. He reconsidered.

All that said, OC can be iffy on animals. ......... Works much better on human targets though.

Sometimes. I've had a few folks that came right through being sprayed like the terminator. Those are fun to fight. Not only are they usually crazy but now they're covered in OC and you have to subdue them.

Same thing with pepperball, which is what that Byrna 'gun' is. We had a guy that just wasn't phased by it.

Moral of the story is, nothing is 100%, make sure you have plan b in your back pocket in case you need it.

Sometimes. I've had a few folks that came right through being sprayed like the terminator. Those are fun to fight. Not only are they usually crazy but now they're covered in OC and you have to subdue them.

Same thing with pepperball, which is what that Byrna 'gun' is. We had a guy that just wasn't phased by it.

Moral of the story is, nothing is 100%, make sure you have plan b in your back pocket in case you need it.
Yep, had a 2 legged one that seemed to like it. Buck naked and crazy as a something-house rat. Full moon and was loads of fun to play with. Not. Good ice-breaker story for dinner parties though.

I think Byrna also has hard nylon balls for knock down too.

And in this biz, you need plan B,C,D all the way into double letters.

How about one of these: BYRNA Launcher

I had a brief relationship with the company and remain impressed with the products. The launcher obviously fires the irritant projectile, but it also generates a distracting sound and the animal feels the (significant) impacts all of which should contribute to pausing an attack. The BYRNA is a complex piece of kit, and had a lot of teething issues, but all of those are in the past and the folks there want to make a good product.

OC spray was banned, then restricted in Massachusetts at one point, so I managed to get a can for a girlfriend who spent a bit of time walking in Boston. Leaving her place, I remember to give her the can from my car, tell her how to use it and she says "I need to try it..." as I try to say "No...", she launches a big burst into the wind....

The Sabre Defense works great. I’ve had to use it a couple of times. A squirt gun loaded with ammonia works good too. My handgun is backup. I really don’t want to shoot someone’s dog.

Back