Need Help Choosing a Vehicle.

Hi Everyone,

I'm having a difficult time picking a vehicle for nomadic Van Life. I've done this lifestyle for 2 years in my Mazda CX-5 turbo, but unfortunately the vehicle was totaled. I moved to Chicago for the accessibility purposes that mass transit provides. I'm having a difficult time adjusting to this new city. I have given it 7 months! I had an entire system laid out when I was in my CX-5. Planet fitness is my go to for showers. I used laundromat to wash my clothing. Winters were the best for the ability to keep food in my vehicle that is temperature sensitive. Warmth was simple with using hot hands warmers in a sleeping bag on nights that were 20s and below. Summer was the hardest due to early sunrise and persistent heat even at night. I truly miss the solitude of Van Life, and the ability to explore new towns and nature.

I'm looking at a first/second gen Toyota Sequoia for the amount of room and the reliability of the cast iron 4.7. The only downside it seems is the overall mpg and timing belt changes.

The Toyota Sienna is the next vehicle that I'm also looking into. The Sienna would be the second Gen 3.5 2GR motor which has a timing chain. The only downside that I've come across is oil leaks, but that is to be expected on an older vehicle with 100k+ miles. The second gen Sienna initially had a 3.3L V6 which was changed to the 3.5. I'm more in favor of the 3.5 since it has a wide range of uses such as the Camry and Avalon and Lexus ES.

Honda Odyssey or Pilot a last choice, because of weak and problematic automatic transmissions. The variable cylinder management has also caused problems with mounts and wear patterns in the motor. There's faint possibility of picking a GMC Safari or Astro, or 1500.

I'm looking at overall reliability. I don't want a huge expense down the road. I'm open to suggestions about other vehicles. I'm focused more on Toyota because of previous experience. I've also owned a few Hondas but with manual trans.

This time around in going to do a full build by pulling the second and third row seats out. I'd put in a simple plywood platform with scrap 2×4 for legs.

How about a pickup with a camper in the bed. You can get used ones all over the place with respect to price. Recent Ford F250 with 6.7 PSD. Decent mileage and trouble free.

How about a pickup with a camper in the bed. You can get used ones all over the place with respect to price. Recent Ford F250 with 6.7 PSD. Decent mileage and trouble free.
I'm concerned with insulation. I've only considered staying in the in the cabin for stealth reasons. If i did the back of a pickup it would be a safety concern with exiting and entering discreetly. There's also the quick accessibility tip start and drive off if there's danger or spooky feelings. I'd just put up reflectix that is stenciled to the window shape. Go to a fabric store to get some cheap black fabric. Glue to one side of the window insert for a very stealthy look. I was able to park in most areas when I had my CX-5. The trick is to keep your exterior clean and use window coverings for all windows.

Mazda 5? Can be found with a manual transmission too. I imagine a Savana would be a pretty reliable beast, and one with a bubble would be nice to stand up in?
Some of the older Prii did have the nice ability to run the AC when parked, using the drive battery and not run the engine until the drive battery discharged, then it would run the engine and charge the battery and shut the engine off again. I'm not sure if any other hybrids can do this, but would be nice in a bigger vehicle

You are buying old you are going to have problems even if it is a Toyota.

But out of what you listed I would pick the Sequoia, Sienna or Safari/Astro for overall reliability.

If you go for Safari/Astro I recommend 2002+ as the 4.3 LU3 received updated injectors.

I'm concerned with insulation. I've only considered staying in the in the cabin for stealth reasons. If i did the back of a pickup it would be a safety concern with exiting and entering discreetly. There's also the quick accessibility tip start and drive off if there's danger or spooky feelings. I'd just put up reflectix that is stenciled to the window shape. Go to a fabric store to get some cheap black fabric. Glue to one side of the window insert for a very stealthy look. I was able to park in most areas when I had my CX-5. The trick is to keep your exterior clean and use window coverings for all windows.
Some of the pickup campers have a real bathroom with a shower which would be a real plus to me.

I myself would not park in sketchy places. Smash a window and they are in. But that's me

Some of the pickup campers have a real bathroom with a shower which would be a real plus to me.

I myself would not park in sketchy places. Smash a window and they are in. But that's me
Typically when I look for a place to park and crash for the night I look during the day and return at night if I think it could be a promising place to sleep in peace. I've always done reconnaissance drives to scout out locations. The bathroom isn't so much of a concern for me. I just keep an empty juice jug in the event that I need it.

Mazda 5? Can be found with a manual transmission too. I imagine a Savana would be a pretty reliable beast, and one with a bubble would be nice to stand up in?
Some of the older Prii did have the nice ability to run the AC when parked, using the drive battery and not run the engine until the drive battery discharged, then it would run the engine and charge the battery and shut the engine off again. I'm not sure if any other hybrids can do this, but would be nice in a bigger vehicle
2021+ Ford F150 powerboost (hybrid) has this AC feature. People love it. Can also enable "dark" mode with software. Sleep in the cab by removing front passenger seat and sleep north-south. Not that I've thought about it much lol.

The Mazda 5 is an option the MZR motor within it is reliable, but for the price of a used Mazda 5 vs a used Sienna the Sienna is more space for roughly the same cost as the 5. Prii wouldn't work. They're far too small. I've camped out of an Accord, and Mazda 3. Both are uncomfortable to sleep in and heat up very quickly when the sun rises. The only hybrid option that is impossible due to financial constraints would be the current gen Sienna hybrid.

You are buying old you are going to have problems even if it is a Toyota.

But out of what you listed I would pick the Sequoia, Sienna or Safari/Astro for overall reliability.

If you go for Safari/Astro I recommend 2002+ as the 4.3 LU3 received updated injectors.
True, I will have some upkeep that is necessary, but I don't want the trans to fail or major internal issues with the motor such as excessive oil consumption. Seals will have leaks, but they are far cheaper to replace.

Have you thought about being an OTR truck driver?
Yes, the pay sucks and now that oil is getting more expensive I don't see it as a viable option. I just want to get something that has a reliable service record that is paid off. I would just work a restaurant gig here and there or perhaps hotel guest service. I just want to relax and not have to worry about a car payment. The video attached sums up the entire philosophy of nomadic Van Life. I'm in a roommate situation that I don't enjoy and in a city that I now despise.

Yes, the pay sucks and now that oil is getting more expensive I don't see it as a viable option. I just want to get something that has a reliable service record that is paid off. I would just work a restaurant gig here and there or perhaps hotel guest service. I just want to relax and not have to worry about a car payment. The video attached sums up the entire philosophy of nomadic Van Life. I'm in a roommate situation that I don't enjoy and in a city that I now despise.

Your situation sounds a bit like ForestyForest, https://www.youtube.com/@forestyforest/videos
Finding a good job that would allow long unpaid vacation time wasn't happening, and he couldn't find good roommates and paying high rent for essentially a bed, just didn't make sense to him either. He's now doing very well on youtube now just being himself, and showing his adventures with great camera work, and I think he could put out a book on backcountry hikes and hiking as well.

Probably easiest way to solve the hot at night problem is just to go to the rockies or somewhere with some altitude in the summer and visit the more southern states or near the coasts in the winter.

Welcome to Bitog. I met a lady Nomad at our local campground. She had a Chrysler minivan. Chrysler minivans are probably cheaper but certainly not as reliable as Toyota’s. Where do you typically park the van?
I typically pick hotel parking lots, but I get out and walk to see if there are any passes in other vehicles that would indicate that there's security or a towing company. I also park in mall garages during the day if I want to sleep, but I set my alarm to go off when the mall is closing. The other option is parking behind a shopping plaza. If the spot is an all new spot I sit for a good hour to 2 hours to car and people watch. During covid I parked at a hospice parking lot since I knew visitors were prohibited. Senior housing developments are also another that I've only done once

Welcome to BITOG 🥳

Get a Transit Connect

If you can find/afford it, Toyota made a 4-cylinder Sienna in 2011 and 2012. Of course the new one is a 4-cylinder Hybrid, but that might be out of budget.

Back