Thoughts on 5W-40 for a turbo engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Everyone,

I'm currently using PU 5W-30 in my 2013 Hyundai Sonata 2.0T. But I noticed the manual allows for 5W-40 as well, are there any benefits 40 has over 30?

I know GDI motors shear oil, correct me if I'm wrong but basically 5W-30 becomes more like 5W-20 after some time.

-Thanks

30ts5jd.png

I'd give M1 0-40 a try and do an UOA. It's long life but also lighter side for a 40WT.

No harm would come of it. You might lose a bit of gas mileage and power might be down a small amount.

But the question I must ask you is this: what makes you think the 5w30 is not sufficient? Thicker is not always better.

In a turbi GDI engine I'd like a thicker oil in the summer,towing, any kind of sustained higher output driving.

in the winter 5w30 should be sufficient unless you are doing a track day in Florida etc.

I would give Mobil 1 0w-40 a try. I use it in my GTI (GDI/Turbo). Meets some serious manufacturer specs. 25 dollars a 5 qt jug at the Great Wall of Mart (Wally World).

Dave

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Surprised no one has mentioned Rotella T6!

That's my favorite for this kind of thing.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I wouldn't run a 0w-40, just because it's not mentioned in the owners manual. Want to keep warranty happy.

I disagree. I don't see any problems with using a 0w40 as long as it is API SM or better as stated in the owners manual. Castrol Syntec 5w40 is an option as well.

Swift, Amazon often has Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5w-40 at fairly reasonable prices. Right now it is about $39 on subscribe & save for 6 to your door, but sometimes it has been less than that. It's a very robust oil.

I agree with others than in a turbo application, a 5w-40 can make sense.

Of course, if you're going to use 5w-30, you chose a good one.

Last edited:
Advance Auto or Autozone may have Castrol Black Edge 5w40, and on occasion, they have a sale where you can get 5 quarts and a premium filter at a low price.

I use those sales often. I chose 0w40 instead of 5w40, but I think the price is the same.

Do you have some reason to believe 5w30 is not serving this engine and driving conditions well? Have you done any UOA?

What does the manual require for industry specs? I see the note about GF-4 and API SM for the non-turbo, is there something on another page for the turbo engine?

An intermediate step between 5w30 and 5w40 would be the use of a heavy duty 5w30. These are usually intended for European cars and can be quite spendy, but they're generally very good oils. Examples include Mobil 1 ESP 5w30, Motul X-Clean 5w30, and Liqui-Moly Top-Tec or High-Tech 5w30. All have HTHS above 3.5 cP and qualify as a "5w35" much like M1 0w40. If the manual allows for API products older than SM, Mobil 1 High Mileage 5w30 would be an affordable heavy duty 5w30 choice, unfortunately most cars today require API SM or newer and M1 HM is API SL.

Originally Posted By: Swift101
Thanks everyone for the advice, I'll be sticking with PU 5W-30
smile.gif

Considering Hyundai doesn't specify a synthetic oil, I think that is a pretty good up-grade choice even for hot summer time use; it's a shear stable oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back