old toyota; heat shield? Hot driver-side floor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I saw something similar here last night, so I hope you won't mind me posting.I have a 1991 Toyota corolla, with 220k miles. It is a lovely car, for an old one, with great gas mileage and runs and runs. However- hot feet! The driver's side floors really heats up, especially in summer. I should put a meat thermometer down there but I am afraid of what the reading will be. It's very, very hot.

Last year I had to be into the Toyota Dealer, and asked about the floorboard and if we could put anything there to shield the heat away. I was told it was impossible, the exhaust ran under my feet, and I would have to live with it. (Yes he was also creepy on other fronts).

Now, last week, a friend asked some engineers she works with, and they said to look for the heat shield. Is this possibly the answer? Any thoughts or advice are very welcome.

I have a better mechanic now; he is booked up several weeks. Any thoughts or advice. Given that it is a 1991, it is so well-designed, so I can't figure out how the Toyota designers would allow the floor board to get so very hot.

Last edited:
Heat shields do fall off.

I know one did on my father's Toyota previa, my wife's integra, and the neighbor's Nissan (which we saved). No issues with German or domestic cars at similar ages.

Here is what we did:

If the heat shield were still there, go to NAPA and get the LONG hose clamps. Then just clamp it in place.

I doubt it is there, so go to HD or lowes and get a small sheet of stainless or aluminum (preferably), otherwise galvanized or plain steel. Tractor supply and other places likely also have all kinds of types and sizes.

Cut if needed and pound to a roughy shape necessary to fit overtop.

Find some small copper tubing or other metal to use as "standoffs" from the converter body to the metal, so that it isn't just a conducting piece that gets fully hot.

Tighten it all up with the hose clamps. Don't make them too tight, since stuff expands when it gets hot, and you don't want to crush the converter.

Then you're good to go.

I'd definitely recommend replacing it, since otherwise the rustproofing/undercoating will burn away and you'll get a rust hole.

Good luck!

Also, if you've ever had any exhaust work done, check to make sure the exhaust isn't touching anything underneath. A buddy of mine had a fire in the rear seat due to this occurring.

Thank you! I know the Toyota service manager did not go look- he never mentioned a heat shield. I used to work in manufacturing so the idea that you could attach a shielding surface seems do-able (I would still get a real mechanic to do it!). So I just assumed he was correct (although I seem to remember huge parts charges for whatever was wrong,and I would call locally and find it for a 1/4 of what he was quoting.). I bet you are right, this could catch fire.... thanks everyone I really appreciate the ideas.

Thank you, will have that checked too. I get 30+ miles to the gallon, it is so light. And it goes fast!

That sounds so practical; I just checked and my mechanic (a really good one) is gone for a week. araghhh!

Thank you so much for these leads! I can't believe I gave up on solving this, because of the service manager....so very happy to see there are solutions. Got another auto shop reference today and will call them in the am. What great ideas!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back