Clacking Sounds under vehicle.

MolaKule

Staff member
I thought I would share some results of this noise source that has plagued my 2012 Frontier for some time. Mileage on Vehicle: 97,000 miles.

Now clicking and clacking noises, at least to me, are different noises. o_O Clicking usually indicates a wheel bearing going out or those goofy heat shields getting loose (again).

I took it into my shop to have the front Transfer Case Flange seal replaced because it was weeping fluid as I had intended to go a trip. While in the shop, I asked them to try and determine the source of the clacking noise as well.

The front Transfer Case Flange seal was replaced without any problems. Now the "clacking" noise.

The clacking noise was found to be coming from two sources: 1) the left front CV joint since the boot had degraded and split and it had picked up road crud causing it to fail, 2) the driver's side lower control arm ball joint.

Now the driver's side lower control arm had been replaced about 2 months prior but apparently its ball joint failed again. It is under warranty so no biggie there. Opinion: it seems material quality has degraded with replacement parts.

But the passenger side lower control arm BJ is now also making a slight clacking noise as well.

I have asked the shop to order both the driver's side CV joint and shaft and the right lower control arm as well to be replaced, since not only do I make road trips, but I also take this vehicle to my hunting grounds which is rather remote.

Bottom Line: We OCD gearheads have to be careful to differentiate between "clicking" and "clacking" noises.😁

Last edited:
So if BJ's, under what conditions? Turning? Or hitting bumps? Or both? Or something else?

I wouldn't expect a bad BJ to make noise while driving straight on a relatively smooth road.

So if BJ's, under what conditions? Turning? Or hitting bumps? Or both? Or something else?

I wouldn't expect a bad BJ to make noise while driving straight on a relatively smooth road.
It is mostly on straight roads but also on very wide turns.

• Haha
Reactions: D60
I got very, very lucky I had a drivers side ball joint completely fail and rip the axle right out of the transmission and the tire collapsed…. Going like 5 mph.

If I’d have been going say 75 mph on interstate 64 and that happened then… Nascar wreck time… I was very glad it happened going so slow and so very close to where I live.

I got very, very lucky I had a drivers side ball joint completely fail and rip the axle right out of the transmission and the tire collapsed…. Going like 5 mph.

If I’d have been going say 75 mph on interstate 64 and that happened then… Nascar wreck time… I was very glad it happened going so slow and so very close to where I live.
Fortunately enough, ball joints tend to fail at low speed, typically when the vehicle is turning into a parking spot. I guess this is because they usually fail when the wheels are cranked over hard, and that's usually only at low speed.

In my experience, a clickety-clack is usually a train.
Yes, vey unnerving. 😂

I purchased this vehicle off lease and later found out it was operated by an oil driller in New Mexico. No doubt the front suspension had seen some rough terrain.

The front suspension has been completely replaced; two new struts (under warranty), one lower driver's side control arm (under warranty), one new passenger side CV joint and shaft, one new passenger side lower control arm, and realignment (under warranty).

Steering now feels solid and straight-on.

Now I do not hear any more voices, err, clacking. :rolleyes:

Click and clack show, to help you narrow things down in the future…

IMG_0003.jpeg

Back