Honda CR-V engine feels very hot after driving

Marvin, one more thing to check. Start the vehicle and turn on the AC. Open the hood and make sure the electric fans have turned on right away. Also then turn off the AC and let the engine idle and note when the electric fans turn on. Once they turn on note the temp guage level. This will also let you check the guage for measurement. Most cars have the electric fans engage once the coolant reaches 220 degrees farenheit.

One important note in your observations: the temperature gauge is electronically compensated.

The needle will be in the middle over a wide temperature range.

So, seeing that the needle is in the middle doesn’t tell you much at all. The engine could be much hotter than normal, or slightly cooler than normal, and the needle will be in the middle

Astro14: are all coolant temperature gauges on modern vehicles electronically compensated to moderate the response displayed in the middle region of the scale? I was not aware of that on Hondas, but will compare the dashboard gauge's display with my ScanGauge II values throughout this week.

I love how we all learn something new daily from this BITOG community!

I don't know if the the older CRV would show the temperatures on an OBD2 plug in with an App like OBD Fusion. Something like the VeePeak BLE+ is only $35 and great to have. I keep my plug ins in each car to read codes. My 19yo daughter has used it multiple times on her '08 CRV and to help her friends. My 23yo son has done the same. Used to used it often on the '04 CRV. I use it on my '19 Pilot to monitor transmission temp and other data. On the Pilot ECT1 is the coolant sensor in the block, ECT2 is the radiator for fans. CRV should have the same.

Check between AC condenser and radiator to see if something made a home or other junk is there.

I have S-VCM installed on Pilot to keep VCM from activating so my ECT1 stops at 165F. It would show actual otherwise.
OBD fusion Maine.jpg

Astro14: are all coolant temperature gauges on modern vehicles electronically compensated to moderate the response displayed in the middle region of the scale? I was not aware of that on Hondas, but will compare the dashboard gauge's display with my ScanGauge II values throughout this week.

Many of them are “dumb” gauges today, meant to sit in the middle. Prevents worried people from pestering the dealer about non-issues.

I won’t say ”all” but I’m sure it’s in the “just about all” today. Maybe sports cars don’t, since they are supposed to be warmed up before leaned on, so maybe they avoid this automotive sin.

[I sorta got bit by this years ago on a diesel car, got around to plugging in my SGII one day and found that the dash read 190F but the SGII was sitting at 160. Failed thermostat. When did it fail? no idea. At least as a diesel it was non-issue, it didn’t run rich to compensate. But ever since I’ve been a bit soured on this “feature”.]

Almost all cars are that way now. The manufacturers got tired of people seeing the gauge slightly above normal, and thinking they had a problem. Pretty certain that my 2016 Tundra is that way. All my Volvos are that way.

My 2005 Mercedes has an actual, accurate gauge. It reads between 85C and 95C normally. 100C when stuck in traffic on a hot day. But most people don’t realize that bit of variation is normal. So the manufacturers make anything in the normal range display as needle dead center.

In case anyone was wondering, I brought this into the dealer for the annual inspection and mentioned this again.

They insisted it wasn't running hot and said the scent was from the oil, after all (how embarrassing). They said it was from oil on the frame holding the engine (or something like that) and cleaned it off.

I'm not 100% certain that accounts for the scent but I'm guessing most likely it will (as people here suggested).

Anyway, thanks to all who took the time to reply.

Back