Blend door actuator does not respond to hot/cold knob

Picked up a 2013 equinox 2.4 a month ago. Had a few minor issues so the price was right. Repaired, all was good until I tried the heat. Just blows cold. Further investigation, I see the blend door actuator is unplugged. Ordered a new OEM blend door actuator. Installed, performed a calibration procedure that includes pulling the HVAC fuse. I can hear the actuator moving, then it stops. Heat! The next week I needed AC. Nope! Now it’s blowing nothing but heat. Unplug the blend door actuator, back to cool again. Ahhhh that’s why the blend door actuator was disconnected. The prior owner was disconnecting seasonally between heat and AC 😂. I would like to fix that, but I’m not sure what to do next. It does not have an auto button, I don’t see any temperature sensors in the vents, so I’m assuming it’s a manual system. Where should I go next? What would prevent the actuator from responding to the temp knob? Also, there is something in the headliner that looks like a cabin temperature sensor. But when I took the cover off, I don’t know what it is. Not sure where to go from here. Took some pics for reference. Last pic is how I found the actuator. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.
IMG_4372.jpeg
IMG_4374.jpeg
IMG_4318.jpeg
IMG_4278.jpeg

There should be more than one blend door actuator. My Chevy truck has three. Can you hear it clicking when moving the temp controls?

I have worked on some GM truck issues like this of that vintage. IF it is the same basic systems, there is usually one or two temp sensors actually in the under-dash ducting. They clog with lint over time and become in/op, creating just this. Google and see if that is an Equinox issue, also. With them, you just dropped them out, cleaned the filament, and you were back in business. My mother has an Equinox of this vintage but we’ve never had an ACC issue with it so I don’t know the deets on it in particular.

Coincidentally my Dad’s Lexus is in the garage right now for a bad blend door actuator so the subject has been on my mind… ;)

Rock auto says you have 3 different actuators, each of them for a separate door. They also say there's a 1st design and a 2nd design.

What I've had happen with the actuators is sometimes the shaft gets turned 180 degrees out. I imagine that's what the calibration procedure is for, but maybe the procedure can't account for a full 180 out.

RockAuto

Have you unbolted the actuator and hooked it back up to the connector and tried operating it with the Hvak controls to see if it is responding to the commands of the buttons you push? Is the door binding inside the housing?

Hvak module could be bad or you are missing some inputs to the actuator. A wiring diagram would be helpful to have.

It is actually a temperature sensor. It has a small diaphragm that is supposed to pulse and pull air flow across the sensor. It can make noise at which time it needs to be replaced.
Ummm. No it isn't. It's one of two microphones used as inputs to the active noise cancellation system. There's another
mike above the rear seat and a subwoofer in the cargo area to cancel road noise. I understand other GM models sample the
temp and have sensors to do that but this is a lower trim level AC / heat system so there's no need for air temp sensors.

Regards,
John

So I see we have an airbox that could have automatic climate control. But this being a base model GM decided to shame the buyer by putting in a cobbled together not-automatic climate control using 99% of the came parts. And then they made it unreliable, presumably for planned obsolescence purposes. :(

So I see we have an airbox that could have automatic climate control. But this being a base model GM decided to shame the buyer by putting in a cobbled together not-automatic climate control using 99% of the came parts. And then they made it unreliable, presumably for planned obsolescence purposes. :(

Yes, I'm sure that was their evil plan all along. *Cue up evil laughter*

And here is the grill of an Equinox noise cancellation microphone. I searched for a 2013 but this came up. Can’t say it represents a 2013.

And here is the grill of an Equinox noise cancellation microphone. I searched for a 2013 but this came up. Can’t say it represents a 2013.

View attachment 182971
$51 C for a 2 inch plastic grill !?!? Think if I needed a replacement, I'd head to a "recycling center".

Regards,
John

Well, it IS a 10 yr old GM, but when I see posts in automotive forums for other brands too, where people had their entire center console replaced and some programmed too, at a cost in excess of $1500, because an HVAC button or dial doesn't work, instead of just swapping a ~$30 switch, I'm feeling like that may not be progress to have everything integrated and automated.

Back