Honda CR-V engine feels very hot after driving

We have a 2003 Honda CR-V and I've noticed the last year or so (not sure if I just didn't previously notice it) the engine feels - and smells - very hot after driving even a moderate distance. There's no smoke but the garage smells kind of smokey afterwards.

The engine isn't over-heating; the temperature gauge is about half way and the dealer said it was measuring accurately. Someone at the shop first said it seemed normal and a technician thought friction from the wheel bearings may be generating heat (turned out not to be the issue).

So I'm wondering if this rings any bells with anyone and if I need to be concerned. Thanks

Friction from the wheel bearings... may be making the engine feel and smell very hot. You can't make this stuff up!!

How about a slightly leak from the valve cover(s)? If the temp gauge is working properly and you aren't loosing excessive oil, or (any) coolant, I wouldn't worry about it. You're probably just paying more attention now, engines do get hot.

Wow, 8 posts in 19 years!

Friction from the wheel bearings... may be making the engine feel and smell very hot. You can't make this stuff up!!

How about a slightly leak from the valve cover(s)? If the temp gauge is working properly and you aren't loosing excessive oil, or (any) coolant, I wouldn't worry about it. You're probably just paying more attention now, engines do get hot.

Wow, 8 posts in 19 years!
I was a long time lurker. You guys know more about this stuff than I do!

I'll take a close look for any oil leaks. Thanks. (The car isn't driven that much; about 111K miles.)

I noticed something similar in a '99 Accord 4cyl that I had. Although i got rid of it shortly after. I'd replace the thermostat with an oem one if that hasn't been done. Make sure engine fans come when they're supposed to.

I had the 2005 version, 284k, never replaced anything but the coolant. Never had the issue you're speaking of. Sounds like oil may be dripping onto the exhaust. The oil filter on those is in a less than ideal position. Check for double-gasketed filter potentially. Happened to me once.

On a 2003 CRV with the K24 motor, check the VTEC solenoid for gasket failure resulting in a significant oil leak that runs down to the exhaust. It is a $5 part that takes less than an hour to change with a 10mm socket wrench. Here is a video that illustrates the process if it is a leaking VTEC solenoid gasket.

He doesn't need a forum since he has a technician dealer or indie to take care of everything.

Smells smoky is... burning fluid, oil/antifreeze/brakefluid/psf/transmission fluid.... or your location... rusty brakes that are dragging

I would take anything the shop says with a grain of salt.

I would wager something brewing. The leaks mentioned are a good start.

If issue continues:
If not already addressed, I would change the coolant, thermostat, and radiator cap. Don't rely on the tech or your dash gauge. Change the ATF. Bleed the brakes. If hydraulic, change the PSF. If AWD, change the diff/xcase fluids. And inpect/clean/lube all 4 corners of the brake system. Change the serpentine belt and make sure no belt driven component is dragging... alternator, idler pulleys, tensioners, a/c compressor etc.

This is something that only a visual inspection can really resolve. Anything else is just wild-*** guesses or wild goose chases.
Obviously nobody can diagnose it for me online but I was just wondering if something like this happened to anybody else.

I'll take a look around the valve cover later and put the car up on the ramps this week and give it a closer look. Thanks all.

One other long shot is a failing or plugged catalytic converter. This might also cause other drivability issues, and I would think would cause code with check engine light. Some converters get really hot when they are partially pluggged.

Pretty much any fluid can have a dye added to it to help find a leak.

Plugged cat is worth investigating... backpressure test, visual inspection....

Its a decade old.... how many miles? maintenance history?

Obviously nobody can diagnose it for me online but I was just wondering if something like this happened to anybody else.

I'll take a look around the valve cover later and put the car up on the ramps this week and give it a closer look. Thanks all.
Sorry that you have gotten some interesting comments, check your AC Condensor and make sure there is no debris that is blocking any airflow to your radiator.

Do you have an Infrared Gun?

Sorry that you have gotten some interesting comments, check your AC Condensor and make sure there is no debris that is blocking any airflow to your radiator.

Do you have an Infrared Gun?
No infrared gun. Perhaps AC and Cat are suspects. So far I haven't noticed any oil leaks in the areas I've checked. The AC runs fine; would that rule out a blocked AC condenser?

As mentioned, the car has over 111k miles, but under 3K a year probably the last decade. I checked the symptoms of a clogged catalytic converter and the car doesn't show any of them. (Not sure, but I believe this was repaired about 5-6 years ago due to the check engine light coming on.)

Last edited:
One important note in your observations: the temperature gauge is electronically compensated.

The needle will be in the middle over a wide temperature range.

So, seeing that the needle is in the middle doesn’t tell you much at all. The engine could be much hotter than normal, or slightly cooler than normal, and the needle will be in the middle

Back