2013 Toyota Tundra Oil Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then you have the 3UR-FE engine. That engine is certified for up to 10k oci's using 0w-20 TGMO. Since you will be towing a boat, Toyota recommends considering a higher grade (30). Don't forget about diff and tranny fluid early changes too.

Recommend PYB 5W-20 for a couple of early oil changes before 10K (with minor light towing - otherwise 5W-30) and then the TGMO 0W-20 after that.

I also agree that the differential and transfer case should be changed early on too - about 5K.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: danthaman1980
TGMO 0W-20 might be the best choice. Nothing wrong with M1 0W-20, but the TGMO is a better oil.

It is a lighter oil with a higher VI that probably makes it a better oil for this application. But that doesn't make it a better oil overall.

Ditto...

I have an '08 Tundra and I have been using Mobil 1 0W20 since I owned it, no issues at all. I am curious, but what (if anything) makes the Toyota oil better for a Toyota 5.7L? I only buy the Mobil because I get it cheaper on sale, and I like the big jugs for collecting my used oil.

Originally Posted By: Oldswagon
I have an '08 Tundra and I have been using Mobil 1 0W20 since I owned it, no issues at all. I am curious, but what (if anything) makes the Toyota oil better for a Toyota 5.7L? I only buy the Mobil because I get it cheaper on sale, and I like the big jugs for collecting my used oil.

Toyota oil is made for Toyota's engines. It has......,never mind. There is easily 1000 pages on tgmo. If you want to know why there is a search functionn

Originally Posted By: Oldswagon

It is a bit lighter at temp and has a higher VI, so it is lighter at most start-up temperatures you are likely to encounter as well. It is, IMHO, primarily a fuel economy driven lubricant development and you can draw your own conclusions from that.

TGMO 0W-20 might be the best choice. Nothing wrong with M1 0W-20, but the TGMO is a better oil.

It is a lighter oil with a higher VI that probably makes it a better oil for this application. But that doesn't make it a better oil overall.

I do think TGMO is a better oil overall but I'll concede that M1 could be better in some applications.

I do think TGMO is a better oil overall but I'll concede that M1 could be better in some applications.

It's all application. TGMO isn't approved for anything other than use in Toyota applications, so if you put it in your Mustang GT and spin a rod bearing, it certainly wasn't better for that application
wink.gif
That's what would potentially make the slightly higher HTHS of the M1 0w-20 result in it being a "better" lubricant... In that application. Because Mobil recommends it for 5w-20 applications, whilst the ultra light Japanese OEM oils are lighter than your typical 5w-20 and so cannot being given the same universal application/interchangeability recommendation.

It's all application. TGMO isn't approved for anything other than use in Toyota applications, so if you put it in your Mustang GT and spin a rod bearing, it certainly wasn't better for that application
wink.gif
That's what would potentially make the slightly higher HTHS of the M1 0w-20 result in it being a "better" lubricant... In that application. Because Mobil recommends it for 5w-20 applications, whilst the ultra light Japanese OEM oils are lighter than your typical 5w-20 and so cannot being given the same universal application/interchangeability recommendation.

Yes you are right. I was looking at it narrowly as in vehicles calling specifically for 0W-20.

Yes you are right. I was looking at it narrowly as in vehicles calling specifically for 0W-20.

cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back