MIDAS oil filter manufacturer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am curious, who is the manufacturer of MIDAS oil filters. I know that it is not Fram or Champion for sure (the print on the side of the filter I can see lists their filter models as being compatible with it).

Are these ok to use for 6,000 mile oil change intervals or so? On my last oil change, about 2000 miles after MIDAS put oil in my car, I had trouble removing the MIDAS oil filter my hand, so I left it there. The filter was used for 2000 miles, and I intend to keep the new oil for 3,000-4,000 miles, 5 months or so. If it's not ok, I could buy an oil filter wrench and replace it I guess.

Last edited:
IMHO, most "quick-lube" places use the absolute cheapest filter they can get away with. I would not go more than 5,000 miles on one on a regular basis.

So today I did some investigative work while car was on ramps. I took a picture of the back side of the MIDAS filter. The back side says "Service Pro" and M4651. Then I went to service pro web site. The only information that I could find is a strange chart that said:

Service Pro Part# M4651
Mfg Name: MIGHTY
Mfg#: M4651

So I wonder now, does MIGHTY manufacture its own filters? Are they ok to be used for 5,000 mile OCI? I could always pop out the MIGHTY filter and put in place a Microguard I got during an oil sale. However, I am not conviced that MG filter will be better. Either way, the filter has 2000 miles on it on "old" oil, and I need to go another 3000 miles on the new oil. Also doing some more google searches suggests that MIGHTY filters are made by Purolator. Sigh.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back