RockAuto oil filters

My question is a bit off topic. Help me understand what is the value of buying oil filters through RockAuto?

For my vehicle, the lowest priced filter, a Champ PH2867 is priced at $1.63. If I order one shipping is $4.99 for a unit price of $6.62.
If I order 3, shipping is $7.99 - unit price ends up being $4.30
If I order 4, shipping is $8.99 - unit price ends up being $3.87

At my local WalMart I have a couple of choices without having to buy in quantity and will cost less.
  • Fram PH7317 for $4.17 that has better performance specs and I can inspect it prior to purchase.
  • Supertech ST6607 for $3.84
You can only get certain things at Walmart. Back when I used wix I would buy a dozen and it was way cheaper than anywhere else. But as mentioned you can oftn toss then on an existing order for free.

I'm in. Haven't seen a centerfold in a while. Hopefully it's like the old snap on calendars.
Here is the centerfold for the first issue. Checkout the silicone on that pair!

Screenshot_20240326_205534.jpg

Great question.

I order a lot of parts off RockAuto (don't forget the discount code!)

If you have a cart full of brake pads, spark plugs, o2 sensor, etc. etc. before you check out, go add air filter, oil filters, etc. Look for the trucking symbol next to the items. Basically, that means they ship from the same warehouse so won't cost you anything more in shipping. So, your Champ XL will indeed cost $1.63 plus tax. I'm not so lucky, mine cost $3.47....

Getting parts from the same warehouse is much cheaper than having multiple warehouses, but adding more items from the same one still can increase the shipping cost.

Getting parts from the same warehouse is much cheaper than having multiple warehouses, but adding more items from the same one still can increase the shipping cost.
True, but not by much usually. Throwing some oil filters, Cabin Air filter, etc. may cause it to go up, but not by much. I went and looked at my last order and adding 4 oil filters and a cabin air filter was an extra $1.00. It can vary I'm sure, but this is by far the best way to do it.

Is that underwire-backed media?
Yeah its from a Donaldson P551132, cut one new sample open a few months ago here. I have like 9 of these with some Fleetguard LF16011 to vet someday on my car even though they're meant for diesel engines. Out of all the manufacturers products I seen, the Donaldson filter center tube louvers are deeply formed and open compared to the FRAM, Fleetguard and Purolator filters I have on hand. All 9 of the Donaldson are well formed where as the other brands mentioned have varied louver quality being Fram (endurance) and Fleetguard being the worst offender of louver shape variation that I ended up using a sharp flat head screw driver to pry them open.

My question is a bit off topic. Help me understand what is the value of buying oil filters through RockAuto?

For my vehicle, the lowest priced filter, a Champ PH2867 is priced at $1.63. If I order one shipping is $4.99 for a unit price of $6.62.

At my local WalMart I have a couple of choices without having to buy in quantity and will cost less.
  • Fram PH7317 for $4.17 that has better performance specs and I can inspect it prior to purchase.
Because you gotta buy other stuff with it, then its value. I wouldn't order it alone, lol.

Say you wanted Wix XP. Like I do. When I buy parts at rock, I will see if I can get filters included under the $12.99 I’m already spending on the parts that I ordered. Last time I could get 5. If I tried 6 it changed and shipping changed. That’s the value.

Because you gotta buy other stuff with it, then its value. I wouldn't order it alone, lol.
Yeah it’s like bundling. Sometimes yes it can get frustrating. For example, I got hood struts for the Lexus, $9. On Amazon the identical part was $28????? So they was savings even when paying for shipping. But there was NO way to get the trunk struts for the same shipping. It depends on what supplier is going to fulfill. But since they oversimplify it for is, there are letters representing warehouses, A, B, C etc

So again I keep adding items I know I’ll need until the initial shipping almost doubles. I back out the item that caused it…

Never added up to me either. I guess if you need to order a part anyway it might make sense to tag some filters on but otherwise shipping cost good out the savings.

There's no savings for me either. I'll support local stores and Amazon.

Back