Cruze TCM Reflash/Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've known for some time that there was a TCM update for the 2011 Model year Cruzes that fix a lot of the oddities, especially low speed confusedeness, better shiftpoints, smoother shifts, etc.

Finally made an appointment yesterday, and brought it in today. Took all of 2 hours for them to check. At firs they didn't want to do it, saying there was nothing wrong with it. They finally called GM and they gave them the go-ahead. So two hours later I go back to pick it up, and so far, it's better. Low speed driving, start/stops is much better. It actually feels like it disengages the wheels when slowing down, you don't feel the downshifts nearly as much as you could before.

In other words, it doesn't feel nearly as "clunky" in stop and go driving. The shift points are vastly improved, it doesn't want to hold onto 2nd gear forever, and shift quality in general (especially the 3-4 shift) is immensely better than it was. They assure me that it will "re-learn" again, and improve even more. So, I'm quite pleased. I prefer a gearbox that will hold onto higher gears longer when I press the gas down some, especially with an engine with as much torque as this one has, to get up hills. It's more improved in that, it stays in higher gears just as much as I'd like it to.

It was a BCM update that included updates for both the ECM and TCM, and it shows. The engine and transmission actually feel like they are working together, rather than fighting one another, like it often did before. So I give this free update a 10/10 in satisfaction.

Nick, a reflash like this CAN affect MPGs so keep track of how this pans out too. Let us know in a couple of weeks if your gas mileage stays the same or changes.

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: 91344George
Nick, a reflash like this CAN affect MPGs so keep track of how this pans out too. Let us know in a couple of weeks if your gas mileage stays the same or changes.

Thanks!

And there's also no going back at this point, so it is really a moot point.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: The Critic
laugh.gif

Not if it results in a class action

Originally Posted By: Shannow
laugh.gif

You can't flash the TCM to an earlier calibration once it has been updated. And I don't see why there would ever be a class action for this, especially since the updated calibration was loaded onto Nick's voluntarily.

I had a tsb done on my RX. Very similar to yours, and it did make a difference. Fuel millage stayed the same in mine. Oh I also find out later that if your battery dies with in the procedure, it destroy`s the ecm!

Last edited:
laugh.gif

You can't flash the TCM to an earlier calibration once it has been updated. And I don't see why there would ever be a class action for this, especially since the updated calibration was loaded onto Nick's voluntarily.

Except the aftermarket flashers and chips.

laugh.gif

This is not entirely true. At the plant we flash backwards and forwards all the time when testing new calibration files. Now - at the dealership level it is more difficult because the system (called TIS) does only hold the latest calibration files for use. HOWEVER - if a customer like NickR was not happy with the new flash, the dealer can call GM and have the previous file made available to flash back to.

Small chance of that happening however. I drove quite a bit today running errands, a lot of it around downtown saratoga. And the difference is night and day. It's not placebo, it shifts at completely different RPMs, and whereas before you felt most of the shifts, with this calibration most of them cannot be felt, they are seamless. It's not quite perfect, but it's a massive, definite improvement over what it had before. I'm glad I went ahead and had it done, it was worth the little bit of time and effort. It feels much closer to the calibration of the same 6T40 in the Malibu, or the 6T75 in the equinox, than it used to.

I can't figure out why GM didn't release the vehicles with this calibration to begin with.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nick R

I can't figure out why GM didn't release the vehicles with this calibration to begin with.

That's because we ARE the testers for real world driving conditions for extended periods and the volume of vehicles. It's nice to see that they, the manufactures, still listen to us and try to improve the vehicle even after the sale was done.

Whimsey

Sounds like they re-did the 2011 settings to be closer to the 2012 settings. There are many fewer AT complaints from 2012 Cruze owners than from 2011 Cruze owners.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back