Truck update

Oh...that one. It would bring $15K at a salvage auction easy, maybe $20K with a clean title it has now. Take the $25,000 the insurance company will pay to fix it and then call Copart to haul it off and sell it for you. You'll have at least $40K in your pocket to go shopping with.
I don't think that is how it works. The Ins Co takes it when they total it.

I don't think that is how it works. The Ins Co takes it when they total it.
I thought you said the estimate was for $25,000 and the insurance company will fix instead of total it? If so, take the check and deposit it, then sell the clean title truck as is. They won't take the truck if they write the check for the repair.

I thought you said the estimate was for $25,000 and the insurance company will fix instead of total it? If so, take the check and deposit it, then sell the clean title truck as is. They won't take the truck if they write the check for the repair.
It was 25,000, but they only quoted 87 hours of labor, so we had questions. With diminished value, rental, loss of use, salvage, it was over threshold and the fact no one else would touch it they totalled it.

Here are a couple of trucks that were federal government owned and never driven. They are 2023 MY. These are less than three hours from you. That don't have all the bling----- but they have the bones you may want. I think these may sell at a very acceptable price.

My 02 2500hd was a Government truck. Was a good truck. I have my eye on a brand new 2024 3500hd LT trim

aHA. I had a feeling it would go this way… once they got it and got into it, the prices went up and out of range. @ls1mike, I’m glad this works out to the option you were leaning to. It’s been a bit of a wake-up call to me - I take good care of our vehicles, just in fact put down some money on upgrades for mine… and it’s easy to forget that though we want “forever car,” we simply can’t control or guarantee that outcome. im really glad you are not harmed in the accident. You are a stand up guy in our community here, and I’m sure even more real in person!

aHA. I had a feeling it would go this way… once they got it and got into it, the prices went up and out of range. @ls1mike, I’m glad this works out to the option you were leaning to. It’s been a bit of a wake-up call to me - I take good care of our vehicles, just in fact put down some money on upgrades for mine… and it’s easy to forget that though we want “forever car,” we simply can’t control or guarantee that outcome. im really glad you are not harmed in the accident. You are a stand up guy in our community here, and I’m sure even more real in person!
Appreciate the kind words. I think one of these is the next truck.
6.6 gasser and Allison branded 10 speed.

or

Appreciate the kind words. I think one of these is the next truck.
6.6 gasser and Allison branded 10 speed.

or
Those look great, Mike. I'm kicking around the idea of a 2024 3500 (dually) with the l8t as well. Can't wait to hear your comparison/thoughts of it to your current truck if/when you get the new ride.

Those look great, Mike. I'm kicking around the idea of a 2024 3500 (dually) with the l8t as well. Can't wait to hear your comparison/thoughts of it to your current truck if/when you get the new ride.
I drove the white one. I forgot about my poor ole 6.0. It feels awesome. More to follow.

I also know what thieves the insurance companies are, and the deltas between a direct referral shop and an independent.
The best of both worlds is a dealership shop that is also insurance approved, a rare beast though.

I took good care of that truck and it had some upgrades.
Upgrades and recent maintenance can increase your value. If you did brakes, new battery, etc, you will get partial credit. Let the adjuster know and have the invoices ready.

You have a number of professionals telling you that it can't be fixed correctly. I would listen to them.
And those professionals are in business to make money—yet they don’t want the business.

Someone not wanting to sell their bread and butter to you is a red flag. Like when I wanted a 96% furnace (more expensive) instead of the 80%, 2 places didn’t push them and could go either way. Red flag went on inside my head (I learned they have to bury a chimney liner expense into the quote and more labor).

And those professionals are in business to make money—yet they don’t want the business.

Someone not wanting to sell their bread and butter to you is a red flag. Like when I wanted a 96% furnace (more expensive) instead of the 80%, 2 places didn’t push them and could go either way. Red flag went on inside my head (I learned they have to bury a chimney liner expense into the quote and more labor).
The old boilers less efficient boilers last longer and far less complex and low repair costs compared to 96% types. Ask my in-laws with a super efficient German unit that ends up needing $120-$1500 in repairs every other or third year in their home.

The adjacent home they rent out with 85% gas boiler same age has very few problems high cost about 25% to fix.

There is also more slop allowed in less efficient boiler installation. A 96% boiler requires more precise installation or it will not work out as well. Not sure most companies have training or knowledge to do perfect ones .

The HVAC companies know this.

Back