Truck update

I think cab off is how you replace an engine in the Ford's. Someone correct me if I am wrong. Apparently its not that difficult to pull the cab - if you have the correct equipment I would guess.

My concern would be them getting all the wiring on and off without issues.

I’d be less concerned about the wiring, more concerned about a quality job refitting the AC.

The thing about wiring and FSM, is that direct referral shops will do lip service to checking out the functionality and calibration of safety systems, but won’t actually assign the time needed to do so. This actually turned into a pretty big deal in a minor repair that had to be done on my Accord. It was a sticking point between my independent shop and the direct referral rates that the adjuster was pushing.

I don’t know why anyone would think that a direct repair shop is the way to go. They will do subpar work at prenegotiated rates, using non-OEM parts and reduced labor rates to make the direct referral insurance company happy. The insurance company then uses these “proprietary” rates to justify a lower estimate for anyone not going to one of their shops.

You are right you don't know...

Aren't you the guy that thinks body parts like Odesssy tailgates come painted... :ROFLMAO:

You are right you don't know...

Aren't you the guy that thinks body parts like Odesssy tailgates come painted... :ROFLMAO:
What part of what I said isn’t true then? Did I hit on something a little too close to truth?

And just for the record, what you cite was asking for best practices. How is that a bad thing? And it was primarily about corrosion protection.

After going through two on my odyssey, I know the reality, thank you very much. I also know what thieves the insurance companies are, and the deltas between a direct referral shop and an independent.

ALL the shops I have consulted are in USAA's network and have a lifetime warranty. The local one I want to use is the best in the area. HUGE shop tons, of equipment, lots of employees, been in business for 39 years and it is a 1/2 mile from the local group of dealerships. They do not want to do it because they are well aware of the problems/hassle that come with the job, right from their mouth. I might actually be comfortable with them doing the job as their work is second to none. I can't even get pictures of the damage right now.

Here is the thing about the cab and bed removal done at the dealership or even a local independent shop, these guys are mechanics and in case anyone didn't notice I don't take my vehicles to those guys either unless I am strapped for time, and it is a shop I know. They probably do it fairly often.

Now I am relying on someone I have never used two hours away to swap fuel lines, brake lines, brakes, control arms, electrical, rear end all of my door items, complete drivetrain... you get the picture. They are probably not factory trained and it is not something they normally do if they are a collision shop. I can't even verify if they are changing things out like U-bolts for the rear end which are one time use.

A frame off "restoration"? Maybe for a collector car, but for a 2017 1-ton pickup, it is not the same as lifting the cab to do engine work or lifting the bed to get at the fuel pump. I wouldn't lose any sleep over that. There is a reason why the 6 to 8 other shops USAA and I called in network said "No thank you". Would I like the truck back? Sure, no payments are awesome, but I want it with 30 mins of me and not at the cost of my piece of mind. They are basically rebuilding the truck and I think my request is reasonable.

Last edited:
All of the BITOG banter from "that frame isn't bent the tow hooks are straight" to "the shop is pulling a scam and doesn't even plan to work on the truck" and everything in between doesn't matter because Mike has said he doesn't want this truck back. Can't blame him. Went out for a weekend of camping with the truck he looked for for 2 years, he knows inside and out and maintains it to a high degree and it's proven reliable. Totally understandable in my mind he doesn't want a truck that's been almost totally disassembled and reassembled and painted by a shop of unknown ability other than apparently less than stellar reviews. No other shop will touch it for a reason.

If USAA forces the truck repaired by this shop the 4 month estimate might be 6 or 8 months if the UAW strike lasts very long and parts availability becomes a problem. When he gets the repaired truck back he has to find a suitable replacement and go through the trade-in game with a truck with a reported major accident.

Wish you the best @ls1mike to be something close to being made whole at the end of this. Sucks.

None of it is universally true.
That’s a cop-out. Nothing is universally true if you want to make generic statements.

The reality of why the insurance companies push direct referral (since direct steering is illegal), and the financial reasons for the insurer and the shop, are absolutely the case. I even had to deal with this at law and had a favorable outcome.

All of the BITOG banter from "that frame isn't bent the tow hooks are straight" to "the shop is pulling a scam and doesn't even plan to work on the truck" and everything in between doesn't matter because Mike has said he doesn't want this truck back. Can't blame him. Went out for a weekend of camping with the truck he looked for for 2 years, he knows inside and out and maintains it to a high degree and it's proven reliable. Totally understandable in my mind he doesn't want a truck that's been almost totally disassembled and reassembled and painted by a shop of unknown ability other than apparently less than stellar reviews. No other shop will touch it for a reason.

If USAA forces the truck repaired by this shop the 4 month estimate might be 6 or 8 months if the UAW strike lasts very long and parts availability becomes a problem. When he gets the repaired truck back he has to find a suitable replacement and go through the trade-in game with a truck with a reported major accident.

Wish you the best @ls1mike to be something close to being made whole at the end of this. Sucks.
Yeah, it all is lousy, it all sucks. You can’t monetize the level of care and upkeep you do, condition beyond a point, the lengths you went to in order to find a specific something, etc., unless you have stated value insurance. Instead one is trapped by the range of pricing guides and comparable sales to establish a value. The burden of proof of anything else is just too much for the most part.

So in other words, the insurance company, and at law, nobody cares.

That hurts for BITOG type folks who tend to be savvy on what they own, how they maintain and keep it.

Frankly though, the damage doesn’t look that bad. Unfortunately OP hasn’t been able to provide more detail, and seems unable to do the trip to look over the vehicle.

Until we see that we can’t really tell beyond face value, if tow hooks are bent, what the damage really is, etc. And most of us armchair body men won’t really know what’s the reality either.

The concept of a shop underbidding and then doing an addendum is interesting. My experience has been that there’s always a base estimate and then an addendum of anything else is found. But the idea of trapping an insurance company into it once the job is underway is foreign to me.

I suspect that most shops don’t want vehicles taking up space and tying up their folks on such an involved job, nor the higher likelihood of a callback. If they can push more lower cost jobs through faster, get more billable hours, and more profit by doing easier jobs, I suspect that’s the rationale. They can say all they want about the complexity or the issues they may face. Some of that may well be true. But I suspect there is a strong factoring in of profitability of more lower price jobs versus fewer big ticket jobs, and they turn away jobs accordingly.

That’s a cop-out. Nothing is universally true if you want to make generic statements.
I really see little point in continuing to enter into this discussion with you, clearly i'm not going to change your mind, You have your experience, and even though i'm not the only one who said use a DRP you want to pick on my comment, when you look at it the context of when i stated it its plain as day that's a valid and probably the most expedient route to reach his desired conclusion.

"ALL the shops I have consulted are in USAA's network and have a lifetime warranty."
Possibly a lifetime of inconvenience.
Spot on! If I have no choice but to fix it once I get it back I will drive it daily for a few months to get any issues fixed and it will be traded in. I would hate the next person who gets it to have issues.

Pardon me if it this has already been discussed but maybe some of these shops suffer from the same workforce challenges/expertise challenges etc that countless businesses are reeling from.

Pardon me if it this has already been discussed but maybe some of these shops suffer from the same workforce challenges/expertise challenges etc that countless businesses are reeling from.
It is entirely possible. It sounds like all said and done it was going to cost way more than the intial estimate.

Well I just got the call it is totaled. I am getting what I feel is fair market value.
It’s incredible that such limited damage ends up costing so much.

The parts on that truck will be worth a lot. Sorry the whole thing is such a hassle.

Hope your are made whole enough to be satisfied with the outcome.

It’s incredible that such limited damage ends up costing so much.

The parts on that truck will be worth a lot. Sorry the whole thing is such a hassle.

Hope your are made whole enough to be satisfied with the outcome.
I am satisfied, even though I will be back in payments for a brand new one. It won't be much. Lets just say I was paid to drive the truck for 4 years.

Don’t be surprised when you see that truck in an upcoming GON thread.
I’d be interested to know what the buyback price is. Might be worth it if it can be driven up on a trailer. It’s not like the airbags were even deployed. There’s probably good value in a lot of it.

Last edited:
Back