Do you short-shift your manual transmission vehicle?

In my case, 5th gear gets skipped 95% of the time. The 4-5-6 spacing in the Regal is just too close, so I've found that holding 4th gear up to 55 and then shifting directly to 6th lands me right around 1,800 RPM. 2k RPM is really the sweet spot when cruising, there's plenty of torque available to pull off a 55-75 passing maneuver without downshifting out of 6th.

The owners manual specifically calls out this this procedure (skip-shifting) and admonishes it in big bold type. I've driven manuals long enough to know this is nonsense, but I'm curious if anyone else regularly skip-shifts in their car.

I used to go 3-5 all the time in my Saturn. I'd basically accellerate at 1/2 throttle all the time and just upshift sooner or later depending on how quickly I wanted to speed up. Fourth gear was good for interstates at 65 on hills when it wouldn't hold fifth.

When we had sticks I used to do this routinely. Redline second in a Gen 5 or 6 Accord and you'd be going sixty or more. Shift directly into fifth. These old four cylinder timing belt engines loved to rev and the old 1.5 liter Civics we had were even better. Smoother and better shifters than the Accords.

Fifth gear sees very little action in my TSX. The only time is when I've got her loaded down with people. Mainly, it's just my commuter, so it's fast and furious first through third, then quickly into fourth for the last few MPH of relaxed acceleration and then into sixth for cruising.

Drove 700 miles this past weekend in our 2005 Accord , routinely skipped from 3rd to 5th when accelerating briskly .
I didn't know this was an issue 🤷‍♂️
Been skip shifting on everyone of our manual vehicles we've ever had .

Granny shifting not double clutching like I should.
1709604526611.jpg

Back