Which 5w-20 oils meet ACEA A5/B5-10 and SN?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been searching this site and just plain Googling but I can't seem to find a 5W-20 oil that meets both the ACEA a5/b5-10 spec and API SN. 5W-30, yes. Is it simply a viscosity thing?

Originally Posted By: MajorCavalry
I have been searching this site and just plain Googling but I can't seem to find a 5W-20 oil that meets both the ACEA a5/b5-10 spec and API SN. 5W-30, yes. Is it simply a viscosity thing?

the minimum hths viscosity for A5/B5 is 2.9, which is out of the range of most 20W oils.

Thanks for the link. Maybe this is being picky, but do you know if the ACEA A5/B5 rating is the 2010 standards?

Originally Posted By: MajorCavalry
Thanks for the link. Maybe this is being picky, but do you know if the ACEA A5/B5 rating is the 2010 standards?

I have no idea, I just came across that on amsoil's page, maybe Pablo would know...and I don't know if that's even correct since it has hths as 2.8 when min is >=2.9. And as far as 2008 and 2010 looking at the acea specs I can't even tell if anything changed for a5/b5, but it has to be at least 2008 since they can't use 2007 after December 2010. Again maybe Pablo or some amsoil experts would know or can find out for sure...

If the ACEA spec for HT/HS is 2.9 min. - how can Amsoil (ALM) 5-20 meet A5/B5 with a 2.8 HT/HS? I believe Amsoil should comply with the actual ACEA testing criteria if they are claiming it in their specs. Please comment Amsoil reps, FWIW-- Oldtommy

Can I ask the not-so-off-topic question as to what would be some of the thinner 5w-30 oils that DO meet the A5/B5-10 + SN Spec?

Originally Posted By: CptnFormat
Can I ask the not-so-off-topic question as to what would be some of the thinner 5w-30 oils that DO meet the A5/B5-10 + SN Spec?

Not sure about -10 since ones i've come across don't say the -xx or how thin you are looking, but it looks like castrol edge syntec and titanium and mobil 1 and extended performance 5w30 says it meets a5/b5.

Originally Posted By: 2oldtommy
If the ACEA spec for HT/HS is 2.9 min. - how can Amsoil (ALM) 5-20 meet A5/B5 with a 2.8 HT/HS? I believe Amsoil should comply with the actual ACEA testing criteria if they are claiming it in their specs. Please comment Amsoil reps, FWIW-- Oldtommy

This has been brought up several times. So I emailed Amsoil - and they said they would change the site. Not sure if the IT guy hasn't done it yet, or what.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: 2oldtommy

This has been brought up several times. So I emailed Amsoil - and they said they would change the site. Not sure if the IT guy hasn't done it yet, or what.

Could this be an A5/B5-10 revision thing, or how long has the 2.9 min HTHS been the cutoff? I prefer ASM anyway.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim

Could this be an A5/B5-10 revision thing, or how long has the 2.9 min HTHS been the cutoff? I prefer ASM anyway.
grin2.gif

I don't think it's a revision thing. Right now the Amsoil guy I was working with is on vacation. My first email to him was 12/08/11.

I think it depends on how you look at it. The guys designing ASM were looking for a sweet spot, an oil that is a extended drain oil, flows well well cold, protects a wide range of engines at both temperature extremes. That landed an oil at 2.8. Some Armchair BITOGians will beat it down for being too heavy, others for too light. Must make it about right!
banana2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back