Your Vehicle is listening

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use Apple CarPlay which is nothing more than a glorified touch screen for an iPhone in our VW. I have doubts they can access anything from phone as I have blocked Bluetooth access. None of my calls etc show up in the call log etc for built in phone interface. Just thru the phone App on iPhone.

If one bothers to read the article:

- in ford's case, ford has no access to and no way to retrieve texts stored in the car for use by ford.
-Law enforcement still has to get a search warrant to access this data.
- Nobody forced you to connect your phone to vehicle. It works without it. You as the operator chose to connect it and agreed by doing so with how it works.

Further, it's hilarious that anyone believes just deleting a text deletes it...

If one bothers to read the article:

- in ford's case, ford has no access to and no way to retrieve texts stored in the car for use by ford.
- Nobody forced you to connect your phone to vehicle. It works without it. You as the operator chose to connect it and agreed by doing so with how it works.

Further, it's hilarious that anyone believes just deleting a text deletes it...
It’s equally hilarious to believe that Ford cannot retrieve text data, yet the police can. These warrants must have magical powers.

It’s equally hilarious to believe that Ford cannot retrieve text data, yet the police can. These warrants must have magical powers.

Ford argued and won on exactly that point. Believe what you want or believe an actual lawsuit won by Ford. Your choice...

"TERMINATOR BABY" Its coming and its just a matter of time I say. A friend said "NO" they will always still need us to assemble and fix them. He is very a highly intelligent man, Yet very very naïve as to what mechanical robotic devices are capable of, especially with 5G speeds and better. Its a great time for technology though. Oh good luck with your guns and knives.

Yup, they managed to convince a senile judge that knows as much about technology as a door knob.

I guess mechanics know more about cars then the manufacturers too?

Actually it was an appeals panel of 3 judges and the original case judge. Since I'm not a neurologist, I'll withhold judgement on them being senile.

And it was 5 different cases against 5 different manufacturers....

Actually it was an appeals panel of 3 judges and the original case judge. Since I'm not a neurologist, I'll withhold judgement on them being senile.

And it was 5 different cases against 5 different manufacturers....
Cool so they managed to convince 3 judges. That’s all the proof I need.

Why develop such capability in the first place and then be incapable of using it? Or was it developed specifically for government use?

Yes, this shouldn't be shocking.

After all, your phone and carrier have all the texts. The information can be retrieved from those sources if need be.

We live in a digital age, cameras take your picture on the street and at Walmart and your DNA or part of it from a family member is in a database somewhere.

There is no stopping technology, it will literally assimilate us all at some point.

Ever talk about something with your wife or friend and then get a face book notification about the item you were just talking about? Yes? AI is learning and listening. Sound scary? You decide. I can't convince you one way or the other. AI knows more about you than you know or can remember, yourself. Period

Why would anyone have facebook?

Cool so they managed to convince 3 judges. That’s all the proof I need.

Why develop such capability in the first place and then be incapable of using it? Or was it developed specifically for government use?

What capability?

They did not develop the process to read texts left in the memory of a vehicle - an outside vendor did.

The outside vendor is in the business of shaking down companies for money as they find (or exploit) what they see as vulnerabilities.

The lawsuit was never even about the ability of manufacturers to read, see, download, or disseminate texts. It was about a harm that that the texts existed at all in the memory of a device in the car that they could be discovered by law enforcement, making it a percieved invasion of privacy. Nothing more.

The lawsuits failed as the auto manufacturers showed they don't have the ability to see the texts, let alone share them, that there are ways to delete them (Ford even provides the directions on how to do so to the user) from the physical memory, and the folks who sued could not prove any actual harm (ie: they were never subject to the use of the outside vendor software).

A parallel to what this case tried to do would be suing the manufacturer of the computer I am using to type this for a perceived invasion of privacy.

My computer has the ability to see and save my text messages from my cell phone, and I can send them using this device - which goes via my paired cell phone.

I have no idea how or where on the physical media the data resides or how to wipe it. Law enforcement can certainly execute a search warrant on my computer and find records of these texts on it, likely via a third party software, same as what is happening on vehicles.

That was what the lawsuits were about - not the ability of the automakers to see and share the data themselves -with themselves or anyone else. It was the fact their device (in this case a car, in the hypothetical a computer) that they manufactured could collect this data and keep it in physical memory, all without the user explicitly agreeing to it. (Ever actually read the legal agreements and terms of use before using a device or software?)

This intrigues me, so I just spent 15 minutes going through my texts, pics, history, and the worst thing I could find on my phone, was a meme sent to me by my fiance.

It is a picture of a woman in her doctors office, they are both dressed. He asks her if she is on "Any other form of birth control besides her bi....y personality ".
I remember when she sent that, I laughed.
If someone was to get ahold of my phone, and go through it, there is nothing to blackmail me with, arrest me for, or anything else. I'm going to guess that this is true for most people, so they have nothing to be concerned about.
If someone is a spy, drug dealer, selling corporate secrets, buying nukes, robbing banks, a hitman, well then I am all for them getting busted, and prosecuted, and doing 50 years in prison.

You probably have to pull the cell module, or remove or shield it or it's antenna. Or remove the SIM It's most likely on the same fuse as other things.
It would be a lot easier to just not attach your phone unless you’re trying to accomplish something differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back