Your Climate Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Kurtatron
Hello everyone, I am quite foul tempered as of late due to the weather. I was born and raised in California. We all know about California weather. I grew up with fairly consistent, and sunny weather all my life. I had to leave the state for work 3 years ago, and now find myself in Michigan. I learned that I really like summer here for 1 reason, lush greenery. I fell in love with green grass and lush canopies of maple trees. Paradise to me is a green meadow, forest and a calm lake making soft water sounds.

But I am disappointed becausethis year with how long winter was. We had an ice storm the 3rd week of April, and we were experiencing 10 below average degree temperatures for 3 weeks of April. May is well underway, and many oak trees are just barely budding. I have come to the realization there might be other states better than Michigan, at least from my perspective. Don’t get me wrong, Michigan summers are gorgeous, with the beaches, Great Lakes, and forests, but it’s just too short for me. We only get a solid 5 months of green, and then back to clouds, cold, and graveyard scenery. So I want to know about your climates.

Is your climate ideal for you? What do you like and dislike about t? I am specifically wondering if you can suggest to me similar states to Michigan, where the grass is green, the trees are abundant, and the summers last longer. Are the summers miserably hot and muggy? We don’t get too hot up here. Let me know, thanks.

I'm about 30 miles from you on the Canadian side.
The last couple of years have not been normal in the Great Lakes area.
Hang in there and you'll have some great years.

I used to love winter when I was young and still going to school, but once I started working full time, in an office where I would leave for work when it was dark and came back home when it was also dark, the lack of sun exposure really gets to me. I hate winters now.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
I used to love winter when I was young and still going to school, but once I started working full time, in an office where I would leave for work when it was dark and came back home when it was also dark, the lack of sun exposure really gets to me. I hate winters now.

I hear ya. I don't think I hate them, but once Jan rolls around I've about had enough. Feb just last too long.

Right now I'm in this awful stage where summer rolls around and family stuff slows down. August, while hot, turns into this month where all I have to do is go to work during the day, but the evenings are mine--no kid activities. That comes to a screaming halt in Sept--and the days suddenly get shorter. And the colder. Ugh.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I live in the hottest city in the U.S., in the summer it's miserable. I hate the heat. In the winter it's wonderful though.

It'll be 105 today.

Came here to say pretty much exactly this. I hate the Phoenix heat. Everything in my garden dies, it's nearly 100 degrees some nights @ midnight, changing the oil and washing the car means getting up at 6 am just to make it bearable.

Oh, and when I come out to my car, if it's been parked in the sun for any length of time, it's about 150F inside.

I don't live in Phoenix because I like the weather.

Stuck in Michigan with ya brother! My daughter moved to Colorado and loves it there. Still have the seasons but lots of variation. And the best thing is about 300 days of sunshine a year.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I live in the hottest city in the U.S., in the summer it's miserable. I hate the heat. In the winter it's wonderful though.

It'll be 105 today.

Came here to say pretty much exactly this. I hate the Phoenix heat. Everything in my garden dies, it's nearly 100 degrees some nights @ midnight, changing the oil and washing the car means getting up at 6 am just to make it bearable.

Oh, and when I come out to my car, if it's been parked in the sun for any length of time, it's about 150F inside.

I don't live in Phoenix because I like the weather.
I'll try to remember to bake cookies in the car again this summer!

In the Fox Valley area of WI. Everything you could want, close to Milwaukee, close to Green Bay, fairly close to Madison. And close to the northwoods. There is nothing like the forests in winter (snowmobiling) or boating up there in the summer. We didn't really have a spring this year, either, but that is how it goes.

South East England is my home. Never gets below 20, above 90 makes the national news. It got to 100.6 once since records began (2003).
We never have prolonged drought, tornados, hurricanes, or catastrophic flooding.
Yet when it comes to moaning about the weather we Brits are in a league of our own.....

Claud.

In Northern IL, so pretty close to the weather of Michigan.

I'm not a fan. I'd prefer a summer of dry 90-95 temps every day with no rain. Everyone panics around here when it doesn't rain for a few days.

Winters are just too long. I don't mind the cold so much, but -10F and/or a week below zero and/or a month below freezing is just too much to me. (Aside: This is why I laugh at some of the BITOG "cold start" threads). Peeps in southern IL have spring temps starting in late February. It takes forever to get north.

This would be one of the last places I'd ever live completely voluntarily (like retirement).

I like to ski, so winter is my favorite season.
We have touched -20F at home and -30F up at our ski place, and the Noreaster snowstorms can be intense with up to 3' totals. Ice seems to have become more common in the last 5-10 years, though. We had a stretch of bad summers when we first moved here and it would touch 100F now and again, but we haven't seen that in a while. Summers tend to be humid and anything over 90F is usually uncomfortable for me. Springs tend to be muddy, buggy, and sort of ugly all around, but fall is usually a really nice time of year (except for raking).

When I left for a cruise two weeks ago, St. Louis wasn't even leafed out yet. Like living in South Dakota in my youth. Now it's 90. Guess there was no spring.

May have posted this before but about five years ago I heard a climatologist say we were in for about fifty years of global cooling because of sunspot (lack of) activity. Little ice age. Said it would begin in 2018. Wasn't a global warming denier. Said once the sun spot cycle returned to normal it would get really hot. Probably wrong, cause it doesn't feel like a little ice age today.

Three months of wonderful here followed by 9 months of inferno. I HATE it.

Break a sweat just walking to the mailbox. In the rainy season, you'll have 10 mosquitoes on you by the time you get back to the house.

My yard is a charred desert inferno at the moment.

This winter I had a pipe burst causing $80K worth of damage to my house. The adjusters said there was so much of that here going on around New Years, that they had to bring in adjusters from other states.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back