Winter Tires or All Weather Tires

I’ve owned two sets of Michelin X-Ice and one set of Michelin X-Ice Snow SUV. They were used on Dodge/Chrysler vans with good results. I only used the X-Ice Snow for one season and was able to recoup much of the cost when I traded in my Dodge van for a Honda. The Honda needs two new tires. I’m debating between going with another set of X-Ice Snow and then I will need new summer/fall tires this spring. If I go this route, I will need a second set of rims, TPMS sensors, and tires which will set me back around two grand unless I can find used rims. It’s easier and cheaper to buy rims than have tires remounted twice per year.

I just discovered “all weather tires”. If I go that route I’m looking at Michelin Cross Climate2 tires. It would be much cheaper to go this route. They have the 3PMSF symbol and are rated for severe weather. Some reviews I have seen have stated that you should get a dedicated snow tire if you live in a severe weather area.

So, what is the consensus on All Weather tires (not to be confused with All Season tires)? Will the Cross Climate 2’s perform well in deep snow?

They aren't as great as some dedicated snow tires, but I think they make sense if you don't do too many miles a year, and don't need maximum snow capability, and pay someone to swap your tires.
So for my retired parents, who put 8-10k miles a year on their Forester, I think they make sense as they don't need to go out in really bad driving conditions and they get a new set every 4-5 years.
For me who puts near 20k miles a year on my fwd car and have a steepish driveway, swap tire sets myself, 2 sets of dedicated tires makes more sense as all-weather tires at 5-6/32" may not get me out of my driveway, but snows could.

The snow I drive in tends to be wet and heavy, so the CC2's suck when it gets deep, around 4 inches or more. They are great when the roads are plowed though

I average 20k miles per year. Maybe that will be less now that my in-laws have moved to town. Medical appointments and just the logistics of living in South Dakota dictate a lot of trips to “town” ; either one hour away or two hours away depending on where we need to go. Highway driving.

Number of years ago, I went through at least one set of Hakka snows, I think two, then elected one year to try out the WR's (maybe gen 2?). Was disappointed. Wore fast, got loud. Seems like they compromised on everything, in order to do a bit of everything. I didn't have the confidence that I used to have in snow. Went back to dedicated sets.

Point being, if you are used to the performance of snows, and drive "a lot" in snow, you may not like the compromise--I didn't. Then again, if you have been driving less and are willing to try out, then why not, maybe they will fit the bill for you.

Edit: not too familiar with SD. Lots of snow, or slush, or does it stay fluffy with roads well plowed?

20k/yr, around here that means almost 10k/yr on all seasons and 10k on the snows. I mean, sometimes I've gone Thanksgiving until sometime into April on snows (now that I have a garage, I can rotate on at moments notice).

The All-Seasons are pretty good in snow due to the aggressive treads, but not nearly as good on ice. The All-Season compound is a lot less grippy on ice than the Winter Tire compound.

I’ve owned two sets of Michelin X-Ice and one set of Michelin X-Ice Snow SUV. They were used on Dodge/Chrysler vans with good results. I only used the X-Ice Snow for one season and was able to recoup much of the cost when I traded in my Dodge van for a Honda. The Honda needs two new tires. I’m debating between going with another set of X-Ice Snow and then I will need new summer/fall tires this spring. If I go this route, I will need a second set of rims, TPMS sensors, and tires which will set me back around two grand unless I can find used rims. It’s easier and cheaper to buy rims than have tires remounted twice per year.

I just discovered “all weather tires”. If I go that route I’m looking at Michelin Cross Climate2 tires. It would be much cheaper to go this route. They have the 3PMSF symbol and are rated for severe weather. Some reviews I have seen have stated that you should get a dedicated snow tire if you live in a severe weather area.

So, what is the consensus on All Weather tires (not to be confused with All Season tires)? Will the Cross Climate 2’s perform well in deep snow?
CC2s are great on packed snow and virgin powder up to about 4”. Deep snow will give them some trouble. Note they’re still better than pretty much any all season tire in the winter. They’re also surprisingly good in wet, dry, etc. They’re a great option if you don’t want to swap tires each year.

Note, the Nokian WR G4 might exceed the CC2 in winter slightly, the expense of summer performance.

If you might benefit from a more rugged tire and are willing live with the downsides of noise, MPG loss, and reduced on road handling, three peak rated all terrains will be as close to a winter tire as you can get without being winter tire. The Nokian Outpost AT and General Grabber ATX, among others, are great in snow, for example. I have driven my Tacoma through 14” of snow while riding on General Grabber ATXs.

You could get the CC2 and try it to see if you are happy with them. Go out when it snows before they plow and after. Keep in eye out for spare rims in the meantime, you might even find them with winter tires on them. If you are not happy with them in the first couple snows, get new winter tires also.

There are multiple all weather options. I prefer tires for the other 3 seasons that are asymmetrical so I can cross rotate for wear if needed.

The other part to remember is that once the All Weather’s hit 6/32” it will have reduced snow performance just like true winter tires that have the separate wear bars there also. Depending on your driving you might only get 1-2 winters out of the All Weather’s. You would then need new all-weather if you want to keep the performance as it was even though they have ½ their life left.

I think I am going to go with winter tires. Michelin X-Ice Snow SUV. In the meantime I will look for an extra set of rims to mount new summer tires on this spring. I can usually get 4-5 good years of wear from the two sets rotating this way. When the winter tires are on their last season, I can run them through the fall.

There are different kinds of all-season tires. The ones with the 3PMSF symbol are actually winter tires with more durable compounds that work fine in the summer. Michelin CrossClimate 2, Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons, etc. are really good as winter tires and better than winter tires in wet and rainy conditions. However, if the demands are pure snow 90% in winter, winter tires are better because they start with a deeper tread depth of 8–9 mm. Meanwhile, Crossclimate2 starts at 6.5-7mm thread. From November to April 15th, Austria and Switzerland required a minimum tread depth of 4mm.

Most people only need all-season tires with the 3PMSF in winter and summer tires or non-3PMSF-symbolic all-season tires. All-season tires are just better for wear and wet grip. However, summer tires are in a different league when it comes to handling in the summer.

European climates are mild, moderated by the surrounding oceans, even to some amount in the alpine mid continent.

North America is more unpredictable and extreme, we regularly get 0 C and snow where I live followed the next day by 20 C.

CC2s are great where weather is wildly variable.

///

If you might benefit from a more rugged tire and are willing live with the downsides of noise, MPG loss, and reduced on road handling, three peak rated all terrains will be as close to a winter tire as you can get without being winter tire. The Nokian Outpost AT and General Grabber ATX, among others, are great in snow, for example. I have driven my Tacoma through 14” of snow while riding on General Grabber ATXs.
Giant caveat here.

The 3 peak test is only a test of straight line acceleration on packed snow* and controlled temps between -2° C and -15° C (28 to 5 degrees F). No measure of stopping or turning.

Truck tire manufacturers have figured out that with the deep tread depth of their tires when new, they can easily pass this test. Once that tire wears, or temps are colder, the tire might or might not perform well.

So the way the market is working, tire manufacturers offer rebates in the fall. So you have new A/S’s for the first seasonal snowfalls, when temps aren’t that cold. Then comes January and February, with deep snow, ive covered roads, and much lower temps.

Our 4Runner has 3pms AT tires. So do our Outbacks. We still use winter tires Thanksgiving to St Patrick’s day.

* ASTM F1805-06.

European climates are mild, moderated by the surrounding oceans, even to some amount in the alpine mid continent.

North America is more unpredictable and extreme, we regularly get 0 C and snow where I live followed the next day by 20 C.

CC2s are great where weather is wildly variable.
The Alpine part of Europe is far more challenging than anything here in continental US. It is far more unpredictable in Alps, that part of Central Europe.

Giant caveat here.

The 3 peak test is only a test of straight line acceleration on packed snow* and controlled temps between -2° C and -15° C (28 to 5 degrees F). No measure of stopping or turning.

Truck tire manufacturers have figured out that with the deep tread depth of their tires when new, they can easily pass this test. Once that tire wears, or temps are colder, the tire might or might not perform well.

So the way the market is working, tire manufacturers offer rebates in the fall. So you have new A/S’s for the first seasonal snowfalls, when temps aren’t that cold. Then comes January and February, with deep snow, ive covered roads, and much lower temps.

Our 4Runner has 3pms AT tires. So do our Outbacks. We still use winter tires Thanksgiving to St Patrick’s day.

* ASTM F1805-06.
Which non-winter tires perform better than the ones I cited in winter?

This is a recent test by Tyre Reviews. Ironically the BFG Trail Terrain is what we use on our 4Runner - for three seasons. We use a winter tire for Thanksgiving - St Patrick’s day.

IMG_9955.jpeg

Reactions: Ws6
FWIW took a picture of the BF Goodrich Trail Terrain TA and the Nokian R3 SUV winter tire. The TT is considered an “80/20” highway/all terrain tire. They are the same diameter.

2022032514324049-722275783384727931-IMG_1904-L.jpg

I have the Firestone all-weather tires for 2 years now and I find them very good in all conditions

Back