Winter Tires or All Weather Tires

A correction to my ealier post.
Currently studded tyres are not illegal in all european countries. Even in the uk, it is not "recommended" but not illegal.

So I was given incorrect information when driving in norway back ni the 90's!

3PMSF rating is an EU standard not US so M&S, winter tyres are not automatically 3PMSF rated
Canada has provincial guidelines wrt tire studs …

Mandatory winter tires in one Canadian Province - Quebec ( December 1 - March 15 ). They allow studded tires.
The law only applies to Quebec drivers.

I have General 365AW ON 20’ Equinox and I used them in the snow for the first time. Going up son’s steep driveway with AS tires never made it. With AW tires I went right up, no problem.

After experiencing glare ice, Im pretty happy with my CC2s. I went up a steep (15-20%) curvy road covered in glare ice this morning. All 4 tires spinning for about 1/4 mile. The car still went right where I pointed it, even up hill and through corners. Part of that is being an EV with an amazing traction logic system, and part of that is the cc2s. At no point was stopping an option. You'd just slide off into the ravine.

Would snow tires do better? Maybe a little? I dunno. I think carbide studs would be needed to say you really improved.

After experiencing glare ice, Im pretty happy with my CC2s. I went up a steep (15-20%) curvy road covered in glare ice this morning. All 4 tires spinning for about 1/4 mile. The car still went right where I pointed it, even up hill and through corners. Part of that is being an EV with an amazing traction logic system, and part of that is the cc2s. At no point was stopping an option. You'd just slide off into the ravine.

Would snow tires do better? Maybe a little? I dunno. I think carbide studs would be needed to say you really improved.
They would better, by a lot.
And 15-20% grade in glare ice didn’t happen if you went up easy. There were imperfections that allowed tire to hook on. AWD is good only as tires are. If there is nothing to grab, it doesn’t matter what AWD you have.

They would better, by a lot.
And 15-20% grade in glare ice didn’t happen if you went up easy. There were imperfections that allowed tire to hook on. AWD is good only as tires are. If there is nothing to grab, it doesn’t matter what AWD you have.
There probably were SOME imperfections, but if I stood on the road and you shoved me, and I could maintain balance without falling, I would have slid until the road curved and I flew off. I made a short video of driving up it this morning. I would say 75% or more of it has melted, and it was still slick as all getout. However, I cannot quantitatively tell you that there were "no imperfections". I do know that if I stopped on it, I would have slid sideways off the road, because that's what happened/started to happen when I slowed. Just began drifting off toward the ravine, so I gave it sensible throttle and YOLO'ed it. Here the drive is today, 24 hours later, with a majority of the ice melted. The whole road was covered in that dark slick ice when I went up it yesterday.

Last edited:
There probably were SOME imperfections, but if I stood on the road and you shoved me, and I could maintain balance without falling, I would have slid until the road curved and I flew off. I made a short video of driving up it this morning. I would say 75% or more of it has melted, and it was still slick as all getout. However, I cannot quantitatively tell you that there were "no imperfections". I do know that if I stopped on it, I would have slid sideways off the road, because that's what happened/started to happen when I slowed. Just began drifting off toward the ravine, so I gave it sensible throttle and YOLO'ed it. Here the drive is today, 24 hours later, with a majority of the ice melted. The whole road was covered in that dark slick ice when I went up it yesterday.

Yeah, yeah. Ice tends to be slippery when you stand on it. That is not indicative of whether tores can grip or not.
CC2 are not snow tire, nor they are PS4S or Pilot AS4 (just to be clear, before you come in July to tell us how CC2 is just as good as PS4S).

Yesterday I was driving on wet ice that was forming as a mist fell on top of packed snow, very cold ground. 20 mph was the best I could do in my Accent with Cooper CS3s. When i got to the high crowns or banked curves I had to put one wheel off into the side and snow to steer.

Usually have some Michelin Xice and they would have done better but still no braking traction to speak of.

I installed a set of CC2's and have been very impressed with their winter performance. They seem to hook up well and braking and cornering are impressive in 4-6 inches of snow. I do think they are a little noisier than the all seasons I had previously but the trade off is worth it.

Back