HOA news

I have a prev post about HOA horrors. My neighbor has not bothered me much lately but has called the State Police on the neighbor on the other side of my neighbor. And has contacted the HOA board because the same neighbor mowed his grass and some of the grass got onto his new perfect mulch he had just put down.

As of the annual meeting today I am the HOA president. Its a small HOA, only 26 houses. We do not have that many things to deal with, but it's a 22 year old development. The road and gate are aging and some trees are dying.

I have a prev post about HOA horrors. My neighbor has not bothered me much lately but has called the State Police on the neighbor on the other side of my neighbor. And has contacted the HOA board because the same neighbor mowed his grass and some of the grass got onto his new perfect mulch he had just put down.

As of the annual meeting today I am the HOA president. Its a small HOA, only 26 houses. We do not have that many things to deal with, but it's a 22 year old development. The road and gate are aging and some trees are dying.
Sounds like your neighbor won't be bothering you at all now.......

And then we have our HOA that hasn't been a problem at all and we're happy to live here.

Was getting worried the weekly HOA bash wasn't going to happen this week.

@Donald, didn't you just move there?
I'm genuinely glad that's been your experience, and I hope it continues that way. There are obvious upsides - I don't want a neighbour painting their house with pink and purple polka dots, or having several non-running cars up on blocks in their driveway on an indefinite basis.

Add me to the short list that likes having an HOA. I don’t like living where anything goes with regards to property. I like yards to be mowed, no junk cars, nicely landscaped common area, no above ground pools or dog kennels.

Give me an HOA anytime, like most things moderation is the key. You can tell instantly when you drive into an area without one.

My brother had a neighbor (non HOA) that remodeled their bathroom and left an old toilet sitting in the front yard for months. This was about 30 years ago.

Yep. I do have an HOA and appreciate the fact it ensures my home value is protected. Yards/landscaping have to be kept up, no rentals, no multi-family flophouses, no RVs, Boats, and derelict cars, dog poop cleaned up, paint schemes approved, and outlandish noises. I’ve lived where there wasn’t an HOA. The house beside me towed in cars and jacked them up on blocks. Killed the sale of my home. Yes I have to pay to store my boat but that’s ok.

Last edited:
Some places need HOAs because the population there can't figure out how to behave without someone telling them what to do, and the threat of punishment if they don't.

Other places don't need HOAs. The neighborhood I used to live in before my family moved to Virginia has no HOA. It looks better now than it did 35 years ago.

Meanwhile, in this area of Virginia, I can point to MANY HOA neighborhoods that are declining.

I do agree that HOAs in a lot of areas have gotten ridiculous with what they charge and who is running them. It does seem to attract bored folks who like to ***** about everyone else. However, folks today will **** up a neighborhood because they are just lazy.

The Emperor congratulates you on your promotion. Soon, you will learn the true power of the dark side.

Add me to the short list that likes having an HOA. I don’t like living where anything goes with regards to property. I like yards to be mowed, no junk cars, nicely landscaped common area, no above ground pools or dog kennels.
Dont "short" yourself, it isnt a short list at all. 74 million people live in an HOA community and 67% of new home construction has an HOA.
It's a Democracy where the majority rules in your community vs the rules of your county and local governments.
That is something people neglect to mention, they all live under rules set by the public in their local governments, they can call it what they want. An HOA is a step up in community standards for sure.
... and all these "stories" of " I know someone" who the HOA did this and that, well, its most likely a good reason.

HOAs seem a bit like communism in that they should benefit the greater good, but then the wrong people come to control the collective and it all goes to heck.
ummmm ... if you know how an HOA works its actually the opposite. It's a Democracy, an HOA are your fellow neighbors who have been elected.
According to your statement your local and county governments are also like communism as there are laws governing what you can do with your property.
An HOA takes it a step further where the majority of the people of the community set the rules instead of waiting for local and county governments to do their job.

Dont "short" yourself, it isnt a short list at all. 74 million people live in an HOA community and 67% of new home construction has an HOA.

Local governments LOVE HOAs because many times the streets are maintained by the HOA, not the locality.

Not that you save anything in property taxes for this.

Local governments LOVE HOAs because many times the streets are maintained by the HOA, not the locality.

Not that you save anything in property taxes for this.
I haven't lived in one where the streets were part of the HOA but the HOA makes sure the county properly maintains them and rate walkways, way more than areas without an HOA.
Oh and that goes for drainage too.

Back