Your Biggest Motor Oil Fears

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your oil concerns are valid, but I have freed myself of oil company scare tactics over the
years. Oil works much better then they claim and lasts longer too as I saw in the UOA I’ve got done.
Plus I DIY all my oil changes so I know if it's right or wrong it's down to me.

Since you’re in Canada like me, I switched to full synthetic a few years back and stock up when on sale!
Cold flow is vastly better! I placed 2 samples of oil in the freezer, one dino, other syn, waited 3 hours
and checked the viscosity – what a diff!

If there was anything else I could have done years sooner it’s FilterMags on my spin-on oil filter in
combo with more bar mags, 8-9 months clean oil and better UOA!
Good PDF with nice pics to check out:

FILTERMAG vs HOMEBREW
https://app.box.com/s/uxvu8dmscf5wcgftutdm0ejqwgn86tw7

By not taking things any more seriously than many things posted here … for example someone just wrote put an icon next to sarcasm … can you picture how many smiley icons that’d be?

The only thing oil related I fear is that the ramps I use could somehow give way or the vehicle falling somehow. I don't obsess about this at all, but I guess you could say the issue is "on my radar" every time I slide underneath for an OC.

Everything else mentioned above is 100% trivial to me.

I use the products I use (Valvoline, Schaeffer, Amsoil, Wix) so I don't have any fears.
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Every time I have my oil changed in my truck they end up getting some on the drive shaft so for the next couple days it drips on to the drive way so my biggest fear is it not being that but that they didn't actually get the filter tight enough.

You think they would get mad if I handed him a couple shop towels and asked them to cover the drive shaft next time
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: danez_yoda

2) I hope the caps on these used oil jugs stay on tight and the jugs don't fall over in my truck between here and the local oil recycle facility

4) Are oily spots under the motor after oil change due to sloppy work or a slow leak???....
smirk.gif

^^^These... for some reason, people get all uppity lately at Autozone/Walmart about bringing in my 16Qt drain pan/container. There's no way in [censored] I'm trying to poor all that oil back into quarts/gallons, nor do I trust them not to leak once opened. I'm assuming they get [censored] because they can't tell what's in it and too many people have been dumping a whole lot of whatever in their bins. I guess if you had to pay for the romoval of an asbestos (from old ATF/clutch material) tainted load, you'd get pretty anal too about what people were dumping.

As far as the oil spots - my grand marquis actually has a little plastic drain catch under the filter and on top of a cross member to direct the flow of oil down into the pan without dripping all over everything. - If there's a 10MPH breeze, it blows the oil everywhere and it drips for days - I can never seem to get ALL of it cleaned up.

Biggest fear is that the PP jugs( with the infamous lack of an inner seal) I buy at walmart have had the motor oil replaced with vegatable oil and then returned for a refund by some slimeball, and that I do not recognize this. How far would a car go with Mazolla in the crankcase?

Last edited:
^^^ Ha cooking oil is expensive. They would fill it up with water instead. You should notice water.

The old clear QSUD bottles would cure that problem.
smile.gif

Paranoid #5 for me is that foil seal. Did any of those foil flakes fall into the jug? wheres my daym paint filter?

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
6) Spilling the oil while moving a drain pan full of oil.

7) Spilling the oil while pouring it out of the drain pan.

Those aren't my fears. Those are inevitabilities when averaged out over say three oil changes. My biggest fear is stepping in the full drain pan, but that hasn't happened yet. I'm sure to try it at least once before I die, though.

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
What are you biggest motor oil fears?

Here are mine:

1) Draining too early
A DIY oil change costs me around $70 for 2x M1 0W40 4.4L $26, 1x oil filter $10, 13% tax. I want to get my money's worth from the oil without going too far. I get the oil change itch sometimes and have to resist it.

2) Cold flow properties in the winter
I change my oil in the Spring, so by the time winter rolls around it's been more than 6 months. We all know that used oil doesn't have as good cold flow properties as new oil, so I'm wondering if the used oil still flows ok inside the engine at cold starts.

3) OLM running down to zero in the winter.
I don't like changing the oil in the winter.

4) Not getting a quality filter if I don't change my own oil.

5) Paying for synthetic and getting dino if I don't change my own oil.

6) Spilling the oil while moving a drain pan full of oil.

7) Spilling the oil while pouring it out of the drain pan.

you are paranoid as all get out, you can diy $20 oil changes and still get 200,000 miles easy.

I have no oil change fears at this point. I change the oil myself and have done so for 50 years. I change the oil more frequently than required which gives me peace of mind. I use the best oil and filter I can find that meet OEM specifications (I do not try to second guess they guidance in the owner's manual). I use a torque wrench on the drain plug and tighten the filter correctly. I live in FL so weather is not an issue. I do not fear spills from the pans (they will happen) and just clean them up. However, I am terrified of the day that I am no longer physically able to change the oil myself.

Last edited:
Being humiliated and ridiculed on the BITOG website for admitting that I only change the oil once every five years in the E350 due to it's very low use.

Originally Posted By: NibbanaBanana
Being humiliated and ridiculed on the BITOG website for admitting that I only change the oil once every five years in the E350 due to it's very low use.

Your fear is well founded. Your example is just one more reason I do not buy used cars, even if they look good and have low mileage.

Most of my oil fears have to do with the too tight / too loose issues that come with tightening the drain plug without a torque wrench.

I also hate mixing oils just because of the possible additives not working well with each other. It's not really that rooted in real world worst case scenarios, but that's just how some fears go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back