12 quart box oil - where have you been all my life?

I was using enough 6 and 12qt boxes some time back that I had purchased a lisle jug like @JoelB posted above.

All of the vehicles I maintain now are 5qt sumps, so I prefer 5qt jugs.

An easy and accurate way to add oil from a larger container is to use the measured translucent paint containers, they come in different sizes. You can easily get them at Home Depot, Lowe's or most other home centers and hardware stores. They are cheap also. If you need to accurately add less than a quart to complete an oil change or to add oil they work great.

How did you know when to stop the tap at your capacity? That seems like the biggest drawback of doing this to me.
That's the only drawback I found. I'm pretty good at guessing oil volume by what's pouring out vs how long, but I erred on the side of caution and took dipstick readings about 3-4 times throughout before I was satisfied. Fortunately this is not an engine whose dipstick resides in an oil drain passage, as measuring this way would be a fools errand.

92saturnls how are you liking the 2.0 LTG?
Other than for practicality reasons (economy & easy to work on), I was never a fan of 4 cylinders. This engine changed my mind completely. I don't know if GM has some magicians on their staff engineering for NVH, or if this an attribute shared among other late model 4-cyl from other makes, but it's VERY smooth and refined.

If it weren't for all the torque management GM built in during certain driving conditions (especially 1st and 2nd gear), it might fool one into thinking this was an actual performance car. The powerband is broad and very torquey; has more than ample power in nearly all conditions, all while returning 27-28mpg average with the driving I do. Zero regrets.

I used the 12 qt box a few times works great on my traverse and enclave..One box does both vehicles no leftovers.I use a empty 5qt jug plus a empty qt bottle for my first 6 qts. Next car I just put the half empty box on the engine and open the valve.Im old school do the oil change in the street with passenger front tire on the curb just enough room to get under there with a rachet filter comes off from the top

Other than for practicality reasons (economy & easy to work on), I was never a fan of 4 cylinders. This engine changed my mind completely. I don't know if GM has some magicians on their staff engineering for NVH, or if this an attribute shared among other late model 4-cyl from other makes, but it's VERY smooth and refined.

If it weren't for all the torque management GM built in during certain driving conditions (especially 1st and 2nd gear), it might fool one into thinking this was an actual performance car. The powerband is broad and very torquey; has more than ample power in nearly all conditions, all while returning 27-28mpg average with the driving I do. Zero regrets.
I feel about the same way. The one in the Malibu except for the one broken exhaust bolt has been flawless. Runs solid, the rest of the car is decent too I have only had to do brakes. The 2.0 doesn't suffer from the carbon deposits like other direct injected cars. The torque management is not great, but tons of tunes available that won't hurt it. I don't need it removed, but the Cadillac and Camaro guys are doing some neat stuff with them. Everyone forgets about the 2.0 LTG but GM uses it in everything and compared to some other manufacturers with similar mills, it has a lot less issues. The first year 2013 had some growing pains with cracked pistons, but they got the settled. People here who don't own them would try to tell you otherwise. I would certainly trust this 4-cylinder turbo mill before a lot of other manufacturers.

I get the 6 gallon box of STP synthetic for $105 from my autozone commerial account. I then pour into used 5 quart jugs to use.

* Yes 6 gallons - check it out!

An easy and accurate way to add oil from a larger container is to use the measured translucent paint containers, they come in different sizes. You can easily get them at Home Depot, Lowe's or most other home centers and hardware stores. They are cheap also. If you need to accurately add less than a quart to complete an oil change or to add oil they work great.
Even better than those for me are clear plastic juice bottles with screw on lids, either 56 or 64 oz. Mark the quart increment with a Sharpie.

I feel about the same way. The one in the Malibu except for the one broken exhaust bolt has been flawless. Runs solid, the rest of the car is decent too I have only had to do brakes. The 2.0 doesn't suffer from the carbon deposits like other direct injected cars. The torque management is not great, but tons of tunes available that won't hurt it. I don't need it removed, but the Cadillac and Camaro guys are doing some neat stuff with them. Everyone forgets about the 2.0 LTG but GM uses it in everything and compared to some other manufacturers with similar mills, it has a lot less issues. The first year 2013 had some growing pains with cracked pistons, but they got the settled. People here who don't own them would try to tell you otherwise. I would certainly trust this 4-cylinder turbo mill before a lot of other manufacturers.

A little thread drift, but - I really like this motor.

I have a friend with an ATS and I’ve maintained (and driven it) a long while. Fantastic performance, easy to maintain, no issues, also shockingly easy on oil and good results (have done UOAs on it with M1 10w30 HM). I also once rented a Malibu with the slightly de-tuned version (17 model IIRC). Drove it hard all over Napa and Sonoma and had fun with it. I’d like to drive the awd CTS with it; I think that would be a very satisfying car.

I found that same Valvoline for $10/jug - had just three left … but that does two 8 quart changes if filter stays on …

Back