Your Best and Worst MPG Car

What cars you owned gave you the worst and best mpg?

My worst was a ‘65 mustang 4.7 L V8 that got 18-20 mpg on the highway.

Best is my 2015 1.0 L ecoboost Fiesta that gets 46 mpg.

Both cars weigh 2700 lbs and have about the same interior space. Mustang’s trunk seemed bigger but specs say not. Fiesta’s faster acceleration even though hp is less on comparable rating. Most be the torque curve is better.

My 11 Prius gets about 40 mpg and my 20 Ram 5.7 gets 14-15 in short-trip driving.

Best would be my 03 Accord V6. I've seen as high as 30mpg on the highway when it was newer.

Worst would probably be my old 1983 Camaro V8, but I never tracked MPG on that.

Currently it would be the Ranger when towing the camper at a whopping 9mpg on the interstate.

Best; '80 VW Rabbit diesel, 52 mpg w/o a/c turned on.
Worst; '69 Jaguar XKE, didn't care how much gas it burned

1687207596602.png

Bring a Trailer

Too many old clunkers to remember, so I'll stick to recent past. Best = Subaru Forester 30-35 mpg. Worst = Ford Expedition 15 mpg on a good day. Ford Edge and Jeep Renegade somewhere in between.

Beat 2003 diesel VW Passat 55-57 mpg highway
Worst 1958 straight six Chevy BelAir with three on te tree 17 mpg highway

My best is my current 2007 Mini Cooper S with about 30 to 33 mpg, depending on whether or not I get my foot on the gas or not. Just serviced the cooling system today.

Worst ever was the worn but trusty 1987 Plymouth Gran Fury I had 30 years ago. Old Wisconsin state patrol unit I got for $900, it had a 318 V8 with a 4 barrel carb with all four barrels open full time. Had good pickup but man, sometimes I could actually SEE the fuel gauge going down as I drove on the interstate. Yow! I’m guessing single digit mpg in the city.

I fixed it up just about completely minus working AC (nowadays I’d have that fixed as well), and I gave it my mom to use. She used it for a year, then traded it for her 94 Chevy 1500 Silverado. I heard that the old Plymouth died soon after when the dealership said it had an engine fire and they junked it. 🫣

My 23' Fleetwood Jamboree RV on a Ford 460 got 7 MPG, with fuel injection and overdrive. Hard to imagine what it would have done with a carb and C6.

If we're limiting to cars, my Lincoln Town car indicated 15-18 MPG, and my Volvo 940 turbo wagon did 16 MPG in the dead of winter.

2021 Prius Prime gets up to 80 MPG just using gas, not getting recharged with shore power.

Best is, of course, the Model 3. Worst current is the 2001 Tundra V8 at 17 MPG downhill.
Worst all time is 1970 Corvette 454 LS6 (CRR code form Chevelle), 4 to maybe 6 mpg.

Best - 2001 Jetta TDI 60 Imperial MPG highway (50 MPG US)
Worst - 1970 Chevelle LS6 9 Imperial MPG city (7.5 MPG US)

Best, any of the 5-speed Honda Insights I've had. EPA rated for 70 mpg and I've gotten mid 70's pretty easy.
Worst, probably the carburated modified ones like the 88 Camero and 84 Corvette. Don't drive them enough to check but single digit mpg most likely.

My Toyota Tundra averages 13.5 mpg

My Kia Soul averages 32 mpg. I think my 2014 Mazda3 averaged around the same but that was much more highway driving than the Kia.

2002 Saturn SL1 with a five speed manual . 41 mpg on highway. 1991 Ford F250 lucky to get 10 in the winter .

My old Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham got 13 mpg.
Dodge Dakota about 14.5 mpg. It was given to me used and could never pass emissions. Fortunately my son totaled it and I collected much more than it was worth.
My best is a 17 SantaFe at near 30mpg.

Best: Civic. It exceeds its EPA ratings no matter how or where I drive.

Worst: Camaro. Expectations met, though, as it's the largest-displacement engine in the fleet and sports a manual transmission.

Back