Will slightly too much oil damage the engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was adding some oil last night because my car has a small oil leak. I filled it up until it was just under the "full" mark. However, when I checked it again this morning, the oil came up about 1 cm above the "full" mark. Is this okay? Or do I need to drain some out?

Thanks!

No. I overfilled by 1.5qts when I was younger. Added oil right after turning it off on a hill. That was dumb. Next day I was driving and I hear a sloshing sound. Then the engine got really sluggish. I pulled over and started checking things. It was foamed up oil from being too high. so I just untwisted the oil filter and let some out. Problem solved. no harm no foul. The engine let me know it didn't like it, nothing bad resulted. So just leave it if your not feeling anything strange. If you do, untwist the oil filter and let a little out.

Originally Posted By: civicmike
I was adding some oil last night because my car has a small oil leak. I filled it up until it was just under the "full" mark. However, when I checked it again this morning, the oil came up about 1 cm above the "full" mark. Is this okay? Or do I need to drain some out?

Thanks!

What is the distance between the max and min mark? How much oil does the car hold and what does it list for the difference between the min and max marks (The answers will be in your handbook)?
The best way to avoid over filling the oil when topping up is to calculate how much oil you need to add. For example there is a 2 ltr difference on my engines dip stick from max to min, so if it drops by about one third of the distance from full to fill, I add half a ltr and then check it.
1 cm is probably not a problem on a 3 cm interval stick, but if in doubt ask the dealer as you can damage the oil seals or blow out the crank vent on some engines.

Originally Posted By: skyship

What is the distance between the max and min mark? How much oil does the car hold and what does it list for the difference between the min and max marks (The answers will be in your handbook)?
The best way to avoid over filling the oil when topping up is to calculate how much oil you need to add. For example there is a 2 ltr difference on my engines dip stick from max to min, so if it drops by about one third of the distance from full to fill, I add half a ltr and then check it.
1 cm is probably not a problem on a 3 cm interval stick, but if in doubt ask the dealer as you can damage the oil seals or blow out the crank vent on some engines.

The car holds 4.4 quarts at max. The max and min dots are about an inch apart, and the oil level is about 1/4 that amount above the max line. After driving for 15 minutes, then waiting about 5 minutes for it to cool off, I checked it again and it was still over the max.

Most garages will have a simple suction line and I would not recommend disturbing the oil filter once fitted.
If it happens at home then buy some clear thin tubing and tape a bike pump to one end then suck it out of the dipstick, although I don't bother with the bike pump if it's used oil as you can see it well enough not to get a mouthfull.

lol.gif
skyship your too much. Oil filters are not one-time screw on fitment. Where do you come up with this stuff?

I would be very surprised if that is enough to cause a problem. The only incidents with blown out seals and gaskets or foamed out oil were from double fills when the grease monkey went to lunch and the next one filled up without checking if the previous expert had drained the oil. You can wreck the bigger diesels and old blocks if you fill them right up from a hydraulic lock breaking the engine.

listening to skunkship isnt recommended.

he will give out advice that is almost spot on.. then crazyness in next sentence.

Last edited:
The maintenance manuals. Never disturb a used oil filter unless you change it, tightening within limits is OK but not using it as an oil drain. All it takes is a fragment of gunk or particle to flow out when you tighten it back up, or some debris to drop down from above and you can start a small oil leak.

I stood next to a Detroit diesel once that broke when started because the clowns doing the oil change used a suction line pump to suck out 25 ltrs into the used oil drum, BUT the switch works both ways as does the pump, so they had in fact added some old oil. The sucking sound made the clowns think the oil was all out, so they poured in 25 lts more and never checked before starting, which caused a big puff of white smoke and a sort of boink as the engine broke in a very expensive way. They were doing an oil only change at the time, otherwise they might have noticed when changing the filter.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
lol.gif
skyship your too much. Oil filters are not one-time screw on fitment. Where do you come up with this stuff?

God knows. Probably from the chaps on the bus.
lol.gif

This guy is the energizer bunny of misinformation, if he doesn't know he will just make it up then bounce off to give his expert insight on something else.

Stop it. I'm using a 15k Fram Ultra twice right now. The sky has never fallen from unscrewing a filter. Ever.

Well good luck if it's a Fram in particular! The sky only falls for an engine once from oil leaks.

That little bit over the full line won't hurt anything in your engine. Roughly speaking, you're 8 oz over, but the point is, it's only 1/4"... Not several inches, where you would get problems...Relax.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav
lol.gif

God knows. Probably from the chaps on the bus.
lol.gif

This guy is the energizer bunny of misinformation, if he doesn't know he will just make it up then bounce off to give his expert insight on something else.

The chaps on the bus are geeks, but this would be one of many reasons from the manual:
1 - oil filter gasket itself, for one reason or another - if the filter gasket was not lubricated with oil before it was installed, or the filter has been on the vehicle for a long time, it can stay stuck on the vehicle when the filter is removed for an oil change.

If you have to remove an old oil filter and it is of the spin on type that does not allow the seal to be changed, then you have to fit a new filter according to the good books.
In reality you should tighten the filter only once when fitted and if it leaks it should be replaced, that way the face can be cleaned again in case any debris is stuck on it, so trying to use it as a drain is one bad idea.
Some new generation filters use better synthetic seals and do allow complete removal, cleaning of the fitment face and refitting, but I think they are mostly truck units.

Skyship, what are your impressions on Purolator and perf.form oil filters? I use both and exceptional reviews, could not give me a Fram Filter, just take one apart and you will see why this is said, seems like you have already done this, yes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back