Extreme extended drain time: How much oil drips out over a week?

That won't flush much of the old oil out because the old oil is dispersed throughout the engine. High spots and low spots, front and back. The pint will take the gravity path of least resistance. Might get 1/10 of it out or something like that.
If you're that concerned about it, then drain the oil. Leave the filter. Refill thr crankcase. Crank it and let it run for 5 minutes. Then drain it all again, including the filter.

OR, take a deep breath. Move beyond your OCD and just change it all normally and don't worry about the dripping at the end...

Winter drain is extracted thru the dip stick. Summer drain thru the plug. Open plug get a cup of coffee, donut, play with grand kids. Go back out finish the job.

Doesn't everyone suck it out with a vacuum cleaner like me? Thought I was odd ...

(just kidding, I wait for the drip and put the plug back in. my oil changes are always done at 5000 to 7000 miles so the oil left behind is still in good condition anyway.)

The whole idea of an oil change is not to let the engine set after the warm up for drain. There is plenty of lube in the engine for it to turn over to get the new oil circulating. Allowing the oil to drain for a week and starting up is a very bad idea.

The whole idea of an oil change is not to let the engine set after the warm up for drain. There is plenty of lube in the engine for it to turn over to get the new oil circulating. Allowing the oil to drain for a week and starting up is a very bad idea.
How is it any worse than just letting the vehicle sit for a week ?

Thanks to the OP for doing this and posting. Won't change much of what each of us is already doing but does give some interesting information about what is old oil is left in engine with most oil changes.

I did not want to start a new thread but I did test this. Overnight or over a whole week (what this sample is) would be the same which doesn't amount to much oil to make any difference. Car was a 2007 Mkz 153,000 miles, Quaker State 5w-30 Synthetic is what came out @ 8,000 miles on oil. Car was supported at front with jackstands rear tires on ground, drain hole facing rear of vehicle. After initial drain and couple minutes of drip I put a water bottle under and came back to my shop one week later. This is what it collected:

View attachment 194731

View attachment 194732

Under 3oz.
Thank you for the time and patience. It's good to know!

And then the wife hops in and drives down to the mall for some baking soda.
[Husband’s cell phone rings]

Husband: Hello.

Wife: Hey sweetie, I had to run to the store this morning… but um, the car… it is kind of making a funny noise and acting weird… and I think the… uh, genie’s lamp light is on?

Husband: Dear God… [hangs up phone]

Husband: [Immediately opens up BITOG, goes to the General Auto Sub and starts a new thread]

If you're that concerned about it, then drain the oil. Leave the filter. Refill thr crankcase. Crank it and let it run for 5 minutes. Then drain it all again, including the filter.

OR, take a deep breath. Move beyond your OCD and just change it all normally and don't worry about the dripping at the end...
I am not at all concerned about it. I don't do this at all. I was just responding to other posters. I have no OCD. In fact I advocate for changing filters every other oil change.

Back