Extreme extended drain time: How much oil drips out over a week?

When I started helping my father in his shop and when it was still cost effective for the customer to have him do oil changes (circa 1970), he described the oil change procedure to me. Me: 🥱

What got my attention was, "Put the drain plug back in when you get a slow drip and don't mess around filling it back up. There are pumps which can lose prime if the crankcase is left empty for an extended period of time."

I don't know how true this is (his frame of reference started prior to WWII) but it's something that I've practiced ever since.
The 3.2L 5cyl diesel engine in the 2011-2021 Australian Ford Ranger is notorious for this. All mechanics know the oil change has to be done and dusted within 15 minutes otherwise there is a risk of the oil pump losing prime. Many a 3.2L engine has been destroyed from letting them drain for too long.

I often leave the filter on every second oil change. That means the oil held back by the ADB valve, and the oil in the filter itself mixes with the new oil. After running the engine, wiping the dip stick, inserting it and looking at it again, It looks just as golden as 100% new oil. The engine doesn’t care. :D

When i did services at the dealer, I'd pull the drain plug when the car was on the lift and undertray removed, remove the filter as soon as the flood calmed down so the recepticle could cover both, then went over the rest of the car, did brakes if needed etc... and last thing I did before putting the tray back on was a new filter and the drain plug. so anything from 5 minutes drain to 1 hour, depending on the situation. 1 hour extra if we had to stop for the noon break.
That's what I would do. Except I wasn't doing brakes or anything, so I would put it up high enough to pull the plug then put it down a little so I could lube all hinges etc. Then put it back down and do any under car stuff before putting the plug back in. 4wd trucks for the best treatment because I still had to check front and rear differential and transfer case while it drained.
It actually bugs me a bit to see someone mention oil change and leave it to be the last, most rushed item, often on a vehicle that's been sitting 10+ years and being revived.

One of my college roommates claimed he and a friend literally did that to his motorcycle, in order to dump his cigarette lighter out of the fuel tank. I didn't ask what he was doing when he accidentally dropped it in.

Turned my quad upside down one time.
It hurt bad.

Back