Will Mitsubishi Leave the US Market?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by wings&wheels

Agree, it is sad what a limited selection we have compared to other countries. Protectionism... Funny, I was just looking at a very nice, survivor 1988 Dodge Raider/Mitsubishi Montero as a car for the vacation place... Those are great and capable little vehicles and I probably won't see to many others coming around the corner.

For sure protectionism doesn't help. But I believe a bigger reason is that in the US market buyers prefer to buy from a larger manufacturer and are hesitant to purchase the niche vehicles where dealers may be far and few between, indy shops prefer not to work on them and parts are not readily available. The Kia and Hyundi brands were once poor sellers, but those manufacturers made very huge investments in the US market and have succeeded after a number of years.

Originally Posted by Miller88
The Mirages sell like hotcakes. I expect them to really sell well with the economy in a downturn.

Where I live many people will live in a barely livable shack so they can make payments on a expensive F150 or f250.

Originally Posted by 02SE
Originally Posted by IndyIan
If their pick up wasn't so ugly they should bring that over. I did a recent trip to NZ and Australia and I can't believe no one is bringing over a pickup in full "outback" spec.
[Linked Image]

They wouldn't sell like a full size but there must be some room to undercut the crazy prices for the jeep gladiator.
I really wanted an Outlander, it would be the right size, with the capability for the odd 7 passenger trip but the V6 with a timing belt, low hp and premium fuel recommendation, was a deal breaker for me atleast. Their cute ute's does actually sell pretty good here as our local dealer is quite good.

Your post seems to imply this is a Mitsubishi, unless I misread because I really should be asleep...

This is a Toyota Landcruiser 79 series.

I know this one is a Toyota, its just a picture I took of an example of what a well equipped pickup looks like there. Here's a Triton that Mitsubishi New Zealand put together. It just needs a utility box on the back.
[Linked Image]

I dunno, seems like something like this would sell enough to be interesting for Mitsubishi.

Well they must have come with roll protection at some point … but watched a guy roll one trying to beat a red light on a LH turn in Dallas (late 80's). He was alright … but we left him waiting for a tow truck …
PS: That box stayed on its side sliding and sparking and spinning … what a site …

Yeah … sales and service matters. Here in my small town the domestics are still more common and the only dealerships …
I drive to Houston and it flips the other way except maybe LT/large SUV.

Originally Posted by Falcon_LS
Historically, Mitsubishi was quite an innovative automaker. They made the first mass produced car in Japan, started researching EV technology in the 70's, they were heavily into racing of all types and even licensed their "Silent Shaft" patents to Porsche, Saab and Fiat.

In the late 80's, they produced the first sedan with electronically controlled suspension and introduced traction control in the 90's, as well as a revolutionary shift on-the-fly 4WD system, the first of its kind on any Japanese 4WD. They even mass produced the first GDI engine in '96.

While they haven't done very well in the United States, for whatever reason, their primary markets have been East and Southeast Asia, Oceania, the Middle East and to some extent, South America. A lot of Chinese automakers buy complete drivetrains from Mitsubishi, and their 4WDs and pickup trucks have quite a following in Australia, with a huge aftermarket for modifications.

I, personally, do not think they will be leaving the U.S. market, especially considering they are now part of the Renault/Nissan alliance. Perhaps, it will be strengthened through Nissan's presence.

They still are innovative in some respects. Their latest battery powered vehicle at the Tokyo Auto Salon had a gas powered turbine used as a battery extender.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
I see more small Mitsubishi box trucks on the road than their passenger vehicles.

Not surprised if they leave the American market.

Mitsubishi Fuso is part of Daimler Truck. They are using the Mitsu name under license from a holding company, like Volvo Cars(Geely) and Volvo Truck & Bus have rights from AB Volvo to the name.

An interesting fact is that while the Mitsu Fuso diesel engines are made in Japan, the architecture is a Mercedes platform that is also sold under the Detroit Diesel DD series.

Originally Posted by wings&wheels
Originally Posted by Silk
As an outside observer I have noticed the US has a smaller range of all vehicles available to consumers than other countries...eg NZ. Used to be the US was the biggest market and everyone wanted to sell there. But with so many restrictions to comply with, I don't think some can be bothered to make a US only model, the market in the rest of the world is much bigger now. Mitsubishi does very well in the rest of the world.

Agree, it is sad what a limited selection we have compared to other countries. Protectionism... It is a deep and sordid topic, but as an enthusiast w/ a taste for niche vehicles one of the end results is that smaller, niche manufacturers are effectively shut out of the market to the detriment of the consumer.

Funny, I was just looking at a very nice, survivor 1988 Dodge Raider/Mitsubishi Montero as a car for the vacation place... Those are great and capable little vehicles and I probably won't see to many others coming around the corner.

I'm not so sure about protectionism, since back in the day when so many and varied imports were available here the Detroit big three still ruled the market with VW hitting only 300K units in their then best year of US sales in 1970.
Since then, the formerly imported nameplates have been building here and in Mexico and most of their output has been in very similar cars built for this market.
The thing is that vehicles available in the US market have been so heavily homogenized. Long gone are the days when you could buy imported cars that were actually different from what was on offer from the established makers here.
Things like old-school Fiats, Renaults, MGs, Triumphs, Minis, old-school VWs, Citroens, Simcas, early Subies including the 2-cycle twin 360, early RWD Toyota sedans as well as early Hondas, like the 600 mini Civic, or the first gen Civic or the even earlier RWD S500, S600 sports cars.
There was once so much real diversity in the car market while today it breaks down to FWD sedan, FWD/kindaAWD CUV or pickup truck.

Originally Posted by nthach
Originally Posted by Mr Nice
I see more small Mitsubishi box trucks on the road than their passenger vehicles.

Not surprised if they leave the American market.

Mitsubishi Fuso is part of Daimler Truck. They are using the Mitsu name under license from a holding company, like Volvo Cars(Geely) and Volvo Truck & Bus have rights from AB Volvo to the name.

An interesting fact is that while the Mitsu Fuso diesel engines are made in Japan, the architecture is a Mercedes platform that is also sold under the Detroit Diesel DD series.

They were Iveco designs at one time, it's a Frankentruck...

I see a good amount of Mitsu economy cars all over South Texas. Good basic transportation. Also see a lot of cars with Mexican plates driving Mitsu.

Looked at a used outlander sport, still would consider one if the price is right for my wife. Japanese SUV, bland interior, it fits a nice niche and a price point for used buyers.

Don't really care if there is a dealer around. We have a couple here locally anyways.

Originally Posted by 5AcresAndAFool
Originally Posted by Miller88
The Mirages sell like hotcakes. I expect them to really sell well with the economy in a downturn.

Where I live many people will live in a barely livable shack so they can make payments on a expensive F150 or f250.

I have the picture somewhere on my phone, but around me there's a house with a brand new Powerstroke Platinum Aluminum Superduty. It has a pretty substantial lift, 37s, gaudy wheels. It sits taller than the 700 sqft shack in which they live. Priorities, I guess.

Mitsubishi doesn't build bad cars, they are just behind the times and feel old. My friend's father had a 1999 Mitsubishi Galant V6 and put 210k miles on it. Only unscheduled repairs were a new radiator, horn, and a battery cable that frayed. Other than that, original transmission and engine AND the car was not taken of well, either. It still had the original transmission fluid at that mileage. Obviously this is anecdotal evidence at best, but I drove the car many times and it drove very nicely.

I honestly like the 90s feel of their cars, as I feel that was kind of the golden era of cars. They had just enough electronics to make it more reliable, but not so much to turn into a money pit of electrical gremlins. As long as my car has power windows, locks, mirrors, keyless entry, AC, and power steering...I am good to go.

Last edited:
I think it's more about how many will sell that makes it not cost effective to try to enter the US market.

People here are buying CUVs and SUVs. I do know that Mitsubishi makes one, but couldn't tell you the name without thinking a bit. I think they reused a name, Eclipse perhaps. What was once an AWD sports coupe in the '80s and 90s is now a CUV. But you don't see many.

You have to remember, the number one selling vehicle in the US is the Ford F150. Toyota and Nissan both have tried to enter that market and struggle to be relevant compared to Ford, GM and FCA.

I think it's more about what US consumers want and do other car makers make that. If not, it doesn't seem to make sense to try to break into the US market.

One other thing to consider, Ford, GM and FCA all are getting rid of many of their smaller cars. Demand isn't there. Demand is there for light trucks, CUVs and SUVs.

If you don't already make those, it may not make sense to come up with one, just to enter the US market unless you have some other compelling trait, such as an all electric or some hybrid innovation.

Originally Posted by Silk
As an outside observer I have noticed the US has a smaller range of all vehicles available to consumers than other countries...eg NZ. Used to be the US was the biggest market and everyone wanted to sell there. But with so many restrictions to comply with, I don't think some can be bothered to make a US only model, the market in the rest of the world is much bigger now. Mitsubishi does very well in the rest of the world.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by parimento1
Mitsubishi has not been doing well in the US market recently.

Recently? They've been struggling for years. I'm surprised they're still here.

They never really recovered here from that 0% for 24 months no payments fiasco way back when.

Yeah, I recall that and it just about took them down at the time.

I wanted an excuse for a time to consider a Mits. Thought the Diamanté was interesting and kinda sporty for a sedan but earlier times, really liked a few years of the Montero.
A car salesman I work with on anything I'm looking into pushed me/us away from considering a Mitsubishi when my son was shopping. I was thinking of 'value' for what you get for the $$ at the time but the sales guy kind of scolded their integrity or build quality. I checked them out anyways b/c I'm kind of bull-headed. I immediately felt and heard a tinny sound when I open and shut the doors on most of what we seen at the time. Once that's in your head, it's difficult to look past when comparing and shopping. Maybe they are better now as this was 8 to 10 years ago.
I don't wish them gone from this market though. I see a few of their SUV types on the road here in town. Not sure I ever heard any reasons to doubt their motors / drivetrain.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bachman
I see a few of their SUV types on the road here in town. Not sure I ever heard any reasons to doubt their motors / drivetrain.

Yea despite their lack of presence in North Americam their power/drivetrains are actually pretty stout and tend to fix issues early when a new model comes out. Although one gleaming issue I've noticed was the amount of engines that start leaking oil when the miles really start piling on (like 200K+ miles.)

Originally Posted by Pew
amount of engines that start leaking oil when the miles really start piling on (like 200K+ miles.)

At 200k miles, you got your money's worth

Even if owned by Nissan, if they view their Mitsubishi U.S. arm as unprofitable, they certainly can pull it out of here.

Their Mirage, while a price leader, is, let's just say, controversially styled, especially on the hatchback. I would imagine I'm not alone in thinking that I'd pay $2,000 more for a Hyundai Accent or Kia Rio. A transparently desperate move was to affix the Eclipse name to their latest CUV, although that only alienated current and prior Eclipse fans, some of which may be CUV shopping as they age.

SUVs are a tough crowd to stand out in, which is what they're trying to do with their latest designs. But all I see when I look at them is "blah". Bright, shiny noses with VW Atlas-like bodies. I do hope they survive here, as competition makes everyone step up. I, for one, truly loved the fruits of the Mitsubishi-Chrysler alliance. Wish they'd partner with their owner to produce some truly great cars again.

When Nissan led the way to bring Mitsubishi into the Nissan Renault Group, one thought I had was that Nissan might co-brand some dealerships to improve economies of scale. That didn't happen for whatever reason.

A stand-alone Mitsubishi dealership is becoming rare in the US and that is one of the primary reasons that sales are low. Customers want dealerships accessible for sales and service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back