have you ever bought a car without looking at it first?

a friend is selling a vehicle on FB market place. he has a person flying in from a couple of states away to buy the car. all this person has seen is pix online of the vehicle. buyers says he has all the financing done and will bring a cashiers check. they want to fly in , pay for car and drive it home .

i think its kind of odd to buy a car unless i have seen it in person, even if its far away. i told him to be careful and check to see if the check is real before signing over the title.

have you ever bought a car that you have not seen in person ? what precautions should my freind take to be sure everything is legit?

Is this a niche or collector vehicle? If so, not that unusual at all. I've bought 2: our 993 and 2002. The 993 I had inspected intensively by a third party and the 2002 was done by me virtually w/ Zoom calls, lots of pics and video. Very happy with the way both purchases turned out. Sent one to a special interest consignment dealer the same way; few pics and a long telephone call and they sent a truck to pick up the car w/o any in person inspection.

....and make sure the bank check is real, several ways to do that.

Is this a niche or collector vehicle? If so, not that unusual at all. I've bought 2: our 993 and 2002. The 993 I had inspected intensively by a third party and the 2002 was done by me virtually w/ Zoom calls, lots of pics and video. Very happy with the way both purchases turned out. Sent one to a special interest consignment dealer the same way; few pics and a long telephone call and they sent a truck to pick up the car w/o any in person inspection.

....and make sure the bank check is real, several ways to do that.
its a 2011 BMW with M appearance package. Not exactly a collector car .

Done it twice, had a ball both times, but it was with reputable dealers and not an individual.

This is pretty much the business model for Carvana. I traded in an Audi A6 for a Ford SUV through Carvana. They delivered my Ford and took away my A6 on the same flat bed. I had one week to the hour to let them know if I was keeping the Ford. I did not have to give a reason to them if I nix’ed the deal. They allowed me 400 miles on the Ford and it was expected I would take it to a mechanic and have it inspected. If I said no, they would bring me back my A6 and its unsigned Title and take the Ford back.

I kept the Ford and got the title in the mail three days after the 7 day inspection period was up. No paperwork fees. I paid exactly what my state DMV charges for title and registration.

OP your friend is getting roped into a scam! Tell him in the strongest possible words!

-- The cashiers check will look genuine.

-- Friend's bank will take it, and post the money. They legally have to, it's a federal banking rule.

-- The check will bounce in ten business days. Buyer will be gone with the car.

-- THere will usually be a "misunderstanding" where the check is written for too much money. Might be $1000 over, but if your friend gives the guy $300 he can "keep the rest." There'll be a cock & bull story about how they threw money in for sales tax or whatever.

Have the buyer convert the check to cash with their own ID at a local bank if he wants the car. BTW, the bank will be some banana republic bank, not something like Chase or BofA you can find a local branch of. If he insists on a check for whatever reason, tell him it can be on a national bank you have a local branch at, and the buyer is still cashing it at the teller window, where you can give him the keys and title. Gauge his response, it's likely to be playing super dumb.

Stop and ask yourself, what bank would finance a car if they don't get the title when they cut the check? Banks hate private sales, BTW, because of scams on the seller end of things, like two friends "selling" each other a totalled wreck for blue book value. They prefer licensed dealers because there's a bond to go after.

If it's a personal loan, the bank can make the check out in the buyer's name. Buyer will frantically insist that the seller has to be the one to cash the check.

RUN!

Last edited:
what precautions should my freind take to be sure everything is legit?

Greatest concern today is the possibility of fake paper money (cash; cashiers check; Postal MO). It's not unheard of for people to get fraudulent cashier's checks.

I'd have the purchaser fly in and look at the car. If the buyer likes the car, then go with that person to the bank and watch the check drawn at the counter. Then I'd know the money is good and would be willing to turn over the title and vehicle. When you see the funds drawn and check printed at the bank right in front of your face, you know the money is good.

Another option is to take the payment, and write out a bill of sale, but hold the title until the paper clears the bank and the account is credited. Then mail the title to the purchaser. The buyer can take the car and bill of sale and leave, but won't get the title until the money is proven good. If the check bounces, you report the vehicle stolen. If this is the chosen path, make sure you get good intel on the person (photo of his/her photo ID; etc).

Each state has slightly different laws which may or may not affect these types of transactions; investigate locally.

Bought a few and sold over a hundred on Ebay like that. Have the buyer email a copy of the check 48 hours before picking up the car and then run it by your bank. If anything seems fishy, tell the buyer you will be holding the title until the funds clear. If he is legit, there shouldn't be any problem. If he complains, tell him to bring cash or set up something with his bank that he can wire the funds while he is there.

Yes, a used BMW.
This was in the early days of the internet and the seller (fellow in his 40s) didn't have a digital camera to send me pictures.

My Silverado was pretty much like that. It was a lien sale at a tow yard. My friend worked there and gave me the heads up. Said it wasn't the best, but for $1500 it was a decent price.

I bought a new 2018 Subaru Forester online. But it was from a dealer. Never set foot in the dealership.

They delivered it to my work, and I cut them a check. I had never driven a Subaru before, or even sat in one, until I owned it.
Friend called me a "high stakes gambler" ;) But I liked the vehicle, so it all worked out.

Yes.

The V70R.

Looked at all the pictures. Talked with the owner (1 owner since new). Since he was selling on Swedespeed, and had a track record of posting there, I trusted him.

Sent him a certified/cashier's check from my bank for $2,000 as a deposit. Flew in with the balance in the form of a certified/cashier's check. Drove the car from Crete, IL back to VB.

Last edited:
Ebay 2002ish. 86 Dodge Lancer turbo for parts. Went to get it, was better than expected. Fixed it with my other car drove it as a winter beater for 4ish years. Gave it away to a kid who needed a car.

I bought my WRX nearly all via email. Then I went to the dealership and I was ready to finish the paperwork so I could be on my way home. I only test drove it because the sales guy kind of asked me to. You know, like in case there was anything wrong with it.

OP your friend is getting roped into a scam! Tell him in the strongest possible words!

-- The cashiers check will look genuine.

-- Friend's bank will take it, and post the money. They legally have to, it's a federal banking rule.

-- The check will bounce in ten business days. Buyer will be gone with the car.

-- THere will usually be a "misunderstanding" where the check is written for too much money. Might be $1000 over, but if your friend gives the guy $300 he can "keep the rest." There'll be a cock & bull story about how they threw money in for sales tax or whatever.

Have the buyer convert the check to cash with their own ID at a local bank if he wants the car. BTW, the bank will be some banana republic bank, not something like Chase or BofA you can find a local branch of. If he insists on a check for whatever reason, tell him it can be on a national bank you have a local branch at, and the buyer is still cashing it at the teller window, where you can give him the keys and title. Gauge his response, it's likely to be playing super dumb.

Stop and ask yourself, what bank would finance a car if they don't get the title when they cut the check? Banks hate private sales, BTW, because of scams on the seller end of things, like two friends "selling" each other a totalled wreck for blue book value. They prefer licensed dealers because there's a bond to go after.

If it's a personal loan, the bank can make the check out in the buyer's name. Buyer will frantically insist that the seller has to be the one to cash the check.

RUN!

OR the friend can verify funds by calling the bank who issued the check.

OR the friend can verify funds by calling the bank who issued the check.
Playing with fire! What if you google a phone number for a fake bank and the result is a co-conspirators cell phone?

"In God We Trust, all others pay cash."

In seeing all the comments that “your friend is about to get scammed!” - I can’t help but wonder why the owner of the V70R trusted me.

After all, I did exactly what folks are warning your friend about - cashier’s check. Fly in. Drive off.

I promise that the check was good, and it cleared. I was just a bit annoyed that I had to fill out the form for transactions over $10,000 at the bank and state my reason for wanting that much.

Back