Will Mitsubishi Leave the US Market?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Mr Nice
I see more small Mitsubishi box trucks on the road than their passenger vehicles.

Not surprised if they leave the American market.

Different unit, the Mitsubishi Canter cab over trucks are mostly owned by Daimler, and they pretty much suck. They had a similar automated manual as a Ford Fiesta with similar catastrophic failures, and lots of electrical issues..

Originally Posted by mrsilv04
I just checked the inventory level of the local Mitsubishi dealer. 29 total vehicles. 15 - 2020's, 14 - 2019's.

Pretty bad when you have nearly as many 2019's still around, as you do 2020's.... and the 2021 models aren't too far off.

And that your 2019 Lancer is pretty much a 2007 Lancer...

In any case, I've heard that the Mitsubishi line is just a loss leader for the bank in Japan and that's the reason they've stayed in the US market for so long, but IDK...

Most of the Mitsubishi dealers in the area, sell anything but Mitsu. They are really used car lots first, and then Mitsu dealers.

So what happens to the owners with warraties? while i was looking at car i considered mitsu. did not buy because of exactly the reason of their long term health in america

Originally Posted by WhyMe
So what happens to the owners with warraties? while i was looking at car i considered mitsu. did not buy because of exactly the reason of their long term health in america

Same here. Was considering the Mirage as a cheap daily driver, but I don't think I will for that very reason. I am now only considering a Chevy Spark, Toyota Yaris, Or Hyundai Accent/Kia Rio.

I have a 2014 Mitsu Outlander. I has been very reliable. Really too bad for the US market if another brand leaves. Maybe someday all we'll have left is GM/Ford and Toyonda.

I absolutely LOVED my 3000GT's. I think their problem is they stopped making their desirable high performance cars. The 3000GT,Eclipse turbo, their mini trucks,Montero,etc. Their sports cars were all over the place. They were very popular.

The Eclipse and Galant were excellent cars in the 90s. The 3000GT competed with anything else on the market and was arguably better than the 300ZX. My uncle actually owned the first generation Galant that came to US shores.

Last edited:
What was the last new Mitsubishi you saw in the USA.....they might as well have already left....

Originally Posted by Silk
As an outside observer I have noticed the US has a smaller range of all vehicles available to consumers than other countries...eg NZ. Used to be the US was the biggest market and everyone wanted to sell there. But with so many restrictions to comply with, I don't think some can be bothered to make a US only model, the market in the rest of the world is much bigger now. Mitsubishi does very well in the rest of the world.

Very true. And it's interesting that this observation comes from someone living in such a small country. That's not to belittle NZ in any way, but rather it amplifies the nature of what we are restricted from getting in the USA in the automotive area.

I always heard it was the cost of emissions and MPG ratings...

Originally Posted by Silk
As an outside observer I have noticed the US has a smaller range of all vehicles available to consumers than other countries...eg NZ. Used to be the US was the biggest market and everyone wanted to sell there. But with so many restrictions to comply with, I don't think some can be bothered to make a US only model, the market in the rest of the world is much bigger now. Mitsubishi does very well in the rest of the world.

We historically missed out on many Japanese vehicles, Some of it being because of the Left Hand driver position, Are GM & Chrysler products widely available in New Zealand? I'm not talking Holden here either! Let's say a 2500/3500 pickup?

US style pickups are useless here, they are just too big, you'd never be able to park one for a start ! If you need to carry a big load or do serious work a Mitsubishi Canter or Isuzu Elf is a better choice, they are COE and made to do the tough stuff...we don't want show ponies on a work site. RHD makes it easier for us with Japanese domestic, but since Mitsubishi and Honda shifted their engines to the right, LHD is not such an issue for them. The US, Australia and a lot of manufacturing countries push local made vehicles and tax imports, in NZ we are all imports, nothing carries a penalty, so we have a huge range of cars, motorcycles and other stuff too. We have no emission regs to speak of, whatever turns up is good to go. Crash specs need to be good though these days, so we don't see cheap stuff now.

Originally Posted by IndyIan
If their pick up wasn't so ugly they should bring that over. I did a recent trip to NZ and Australia and I can't believe no one is bringing over a pickup in full "outback" spec.
[Linked Image]

They wouldn't sell like a full size but there must be some room to undercut the crazy prices for the jeep gladiator.
I really wanted an Outlander, it would be the right size, with the capability for the odd 7 passenger trip but the V6 with a timing belt, low hp and premium fuel recommendation, was a deal breaker for me atleast. Their cute ute's does actually sell pretty good here as our local dealer is quite good.

Your post seems to imply this is a Mitsubishi, unless I misread because I really should be asleep...

This is a Toyota Landcruiser 79 series.

Remember when Subaru was on the verge of leaving? Somehow, they turned that around. Sadly, Daihatsu was unable to. They are doing well in Asia though.

While there are plenty of showboat/brodozer pick-ups around, The service/contractor industry here uses domestic HD pick-ups/vans with great success. The cost per mile is lower than a Japanese COE. The Isuzu NPR & NPR-HD uses GM drivetrain for gas models but the Isuzu specific parts are outrageous

If you look on carsalesbase.com their sales have gone up in recent years, but are still pretty dismal. Fiat is done in the US, I fear Mitsu isn't too far behind.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
The cost per mile is lower than a Japanese COE. The Isuzu NPR & NPR-HD uses GM drivetrain for gas models but the Isuzu specific parts are outrageous

No one would think of using a petrol powered truck here, they are ALL diesel.

I remember when Starions, Eclipses, 3000 GTs, and Evos were highly popular. I hardly think of Mitsubishi anymore in terms of affordable performance. Somewhere along the way they made a decision to abandon what gave them a name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back