Why no love for QS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: nickaluch
I use QSUD in my small company fleet for years no issues tried it in my beater no luck down a quart around 1000 miles.

^ this. If you want oil seepage on beaters and have to use a lot of make-up oil, then you won't find a lot of love for this oil. If OTOH, you don't care and are getting good placebo effects that won't be part of any data set, feel free. I haven't tried the 0w-xx weights of QSUD and therefore, I am referring to the 5w-30 and 10w-30 that I *have* used but yeah, ^ this. I now own a car that calls for 0w-20 and I've been using Phillips 66 Honda stock and no oil burning at all whatsoever, granted this car is new and not a beater but I've had Big Oil stalwarts like M1 and PP burn atleast .5 quarts per 5000 mile OCI on brand new cars (is it the VTEC engine or is it the oil though?) while this almost no name brand (lets just say nothing that anyone talks about here i.e Phillips 66) not burn a thang (not a VTEC engine but VTC so engine design comes into play here?). and when i say a thang, i mean not a drop. It ain't no thang but a chicken wing on a string. (so far, with this 0w-20 in a 2017 model car, your results may vary if you're essentially poor and your car is a beater)

Last edited:
"Broke in" on QS products.
They were featured in Popular Science articles which explained the SA-B-C-D-E etc codes when Quaker State De Luxe (the "D" in SD oils at the time) was introduced.
Austere, Brief, Common, De Luxe, Extreme...then they stopped assigning words. Likely because they weren't using the words in ads.

Then the synthetics came along. More to learn. More reason to be adaptive or stubborn. "Regular oils" were overshadowed.

There were rumors that all oils were improving so I didn't care. Should've stocked up on original Mobil1 when it was all PAO....but it was so dear.

Jug of Texaco. Jug of Pennsoil....sure.

PLUS: I avoid buying "Official Products of..." because those badges cost money I don't need to spend AND any race car team will dump its oil after a race AND/OR add chemicals to the engine oil as needed. Get real.

I'll chat about QS or Kendall or Standard Oil the same way I'll chat about AC Delco, Oldsmobile or Einbinder Flypaper....grand old names which may or may not mean anything now.

Global economy?.....in 40 words or less? You go first.

I have ran QSUD multiple times in multiple vehicles. QSUD is great oil for the price at Walmart -- under $20.00 for the 5 quart jugs.

Dale

I guess you could say "Why is there a thread that says that QS gets no love when QSUD, QSGB, and to a lesser extent QSED are mentioned here fairly often??"

I use QSUD and PP alternately and have for several years. Both are great in my estimation.

If I wanted to do longer oil changes I would go with something more expensive like M1EP. But I'm not good about leaving my oil in very long. So QSUD is good oil at a good price for me. Just bought 2 jugs of 0W-20 at WM for $19.97 ea. I have an old can of QS Super Blend 10W-20W-30 sitting in my den. Brings back fond old memories.

I just got some QSUD on sale, and also used QSGB the last few oil changes on the Jeep when I bought three jugs from the AZ $2 quart clearance sale in 2016. I tend to grab what’s on sale and/or has rebates available.

QS, PP, Mobil 1 are all solid performers. I do enjoy saving money though.

Originally Posted By: gmh101357
Valvoline was conventional oil.....5w-20 QS is syn blend....Highlander is a 4 cyl....it runs quieter and smoother.....even my wife noticed the diff which shocked me.

Valvoline conventional has actually been a synblend for a while as well.

Originally Posted By: KevinP
I don't trust any product whose name starts with the letter 'Q'.

Another troller in the bunch lately.

Originally Posted By: eyeofthetiger
The last engine that I filled with Quaker State blew up. Maybe I shouldn't blame the motor oil, but I can't exactly blame the brake fluid.

I think you meant to say that the only engine that ever blew up because of Quaker State was yours.

Former long-time poster and Shell employee Johnny used to say that Pennzoil was the premium product offering compared to QS and Formula Shell. Better basestock, etc. I don't know if it's still the truth, but Pennzoil does advertise their use of the highly regarded GTL basestock. Not sure about QS?

Last edited:
I've used Quaker State oils in many of my vehicles, since I was first starting to drive. Never had an issue with their stuff. Been thinking lately about using the brand in my Tahoe w/ the 5.3L. Always seemed to be a no nonsense quality oil, at a decent price.

Originally Posted By: Puckrobber
I've used Quaker State oils in many of my vehicles, since I was first starting to drive. Never had an issue with their stuff. Been thinking lately about using the brand in my Tahoe w/ the 5.3L. Always seemed to be a no nonsense quality oil, at a decent price.

Give it a try, I used to in my 5.3 avalanche and it loved qsud

I will blend the QS Ultimate Durability synthetic with Formula Shell conventional for a 50-50% syn-blend. Both are SOPUS.
Got the synthetic for $3.17qt (Meijer) and Formula Shell (Menards) for $1.79qt. Plan on running 6K OCIs.

Originally Posted By: sooners2win
Originally Posted By: Puckrobber

Give it a try, I used to in my 5.3 avalanche and it loved qsud

Thanks for the support! Just got the Tahoe after Xmas with 136,000 on her. Runs smooth and clean. Figured something like QSUD Or QSFS would do just fine in her.

Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
I only buy oils that are owned by American companies. Qs and Pennzoil are inferior products to Mobil or Valvoline and are owned by a Dutch-British company, meaning their profits don't end up here in America. My two cents.

Please don't take this personally, but I noticed (in your sig) that you own a Nissan. Don't their profits go to Japan?

Originally Posted By: RyanY
Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
I only buy oils that are owned by American companies. Qs and Pennzoil are inferior products to Mobil or Valvoline and are owned by a Dutch-British company, meaning their profits don't end up here in America. My two cents.

Please don't take this personally, but I noticed (in your sig) that you own a Nissan. Don't their profits go to Japan?

LOL now that right there is funny!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back