Why isnt there more love for Quaker State?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
There should be more love for QS Durability's nearest competitor too.... Castrol Magnatec full syn.

Well my feeling is Castrol makes some good oil but there tactical hat and t-shirt rebates suck. I'll start buying of that oil when they start paying $10 rebates a Jug.

There should be more love for QS Durability's nearest competitor too.... Castrol Magnatec full syn.

Very much this. I'll take Magnatec over a SOPUS brand any day.

Originally Posted by BLND1

Very much this. I'll take Magnatec over a SOPUS brand any day.

This is merely opinion and not a logical one.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson

Well my feeling is Castrol makes some good oil but there tactical hat and t-shirt rebates suck. I'll start buying of that oil when they start paying $10 rebates a Jug.

If it's all about the promotions, then there's no sense in discussing how one stands against the other.
Sometimes Johnny, oil companies keep their prices in-check with the competition, by not promoting it with free offers attached. Sometimes it's because Magnatec might be more costly to make than Durability.

It's the same reason why Amsoil, Schaeffer, Motul, Red Line.......etc.....etc.... remain in business today. Lots of buyers don;t care if the product doesn't feature free items attached.
All these companies have budgets to answer to. They also have old stock / overstock that must be moved 1-2 times per year. Every company deals with the inventory differently. Every buyer deals with their wallet differently too. Some are frugal - some aren't.

BTW... I paid full price for the Castrol Edge in my Hyundai currently. I could have put in Mobil-1 or Pennzoil Platinum instead, both purchased with rebates. But I didn't. Paid full price for Valvoline Advanced too. That's going in next time. I have two jugs of Mobil-1 scheduled for 2020 and two jugs of Pennzoil scheduled for 2021.....lol

Beyond 2021????...... then it's GF6-Time.....lol. I will wait until all the GF6 bugs are gone first......lol

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson

If it's all about the promotions, then there's no sense in discussing how one stands against the other.
Sometimes Johnny, oil companies keep their prices in-check with the competition, by not promoting it with free offers attached. Sometimes it's because Magnatec might be more costly to make than Durability.

It's the same reason why Amsoil, Schaeffer, Motul, Red Line.......etc.....etc.... remain in business today. Lots of buyers don;t care if the product doesn't feature free items attached.
All these companies have budgets to answer to. They also have old stock / overstock that must be moved 1-2 times per year. Every company deals with the inventory differently. Every buyer deals with their wallet differently too. Some are frugal - some aren't.

BTW... I paid full price for the Castrol Edge in my Hyundai currently. I could have put in Mobil-1 or Pennzoil Platinum instead, both purchased with rebates. But I didn't. Paid full price for Valvoline Advanced too. That's going in next time. I have two jugs of Mobil-1 scheduled for 2020 and two jugs of Pennzoil scheduled for 2021.....lol

Beyond 2021????...... then it's GF6-Time.....lol. I will wait until all the GF6 bugs are gone first......lol

Hey your car your money spend it like you want and I'm going to do the same.

Originally Posted by kschachn
In other words you all choose to stay ignorant and misinformed?

Why do we do this? I still remember scraping the gray sludge off the bottom of the screen on my '72 bug.
I mean I can see it in my mind like it was yesterday and it was 40 years ago!!!

Ain't it amazing how we choose to remember bad things more than good things?

On my 06 Vue 2.2 Ecotec Valvoline Maxlife would holdup to 5k but found on here how good Quakerstate was so I tried it. Engine noise was worse as it had a valve tick with QSUD and at 3k already dropped a quart so I went with Pennzoil Platinum. The Pennzoil Platinum would go 4k before losing a quart then oil leaks started. My mother runs Pennzoil Platinum in her Impala when I wait until 7k it is low and thick. I don't run Sophus products but I also don't discourage it either.

I've run Ultimate Durability 5w30 for the past two oil changes on my 2017 Elantra. 6200 and 6500 mile change intervals with no noise or issues. Also the oil level was barely the thickness of a dime below the full mark on the stick.

L8R,
Matt

Bought some from Amazon for a good price. I like buying cases of 6 quarts vs 5 quart jug, since 5 quarts is not enough for my car's fill. It ran fine.

[Linked Image]

Years ago I picked up QS GB 5w30 on sale at Walmart to use in my Civic and didn't experience any issues with it and ran fine. I used Castrol GTX exclusively then at some point switched to Mobil 1 for awhile but it always went through more oil when using it but then I read that Mobil 1 burns off more in Honda's and with v-tec it can burn tiny droplets of oil which also increases consumption. At some point later I found Delo xle 10w30 for $12-$13 gallon and is a synthetic blend which was a steal compared to anything else and was cheaper or about the same price as conventional oil and was safe to use in my car, I've also used Castrol Syntec Blend, Castrol HM, Valvoline Maxlife Blend, and now Maxlife FS is what's currently in there. My other 2 vehicles I switched to PP when it became all the rage.

I honestly cannot say why I haven't used QS more, the price is very reasonable and it's good oil. I just told my friend about it and he ended up buying the UD for his Hyundai Sonata and said it was $4 cheaper than practically everything else, his car needs more than 5 qts which I didn't know at the time so I mentioned the Havoline boxed oil that you get 6 qts and the same cost you're practically getting 1 qt for free.

I do wish that I would've used QS more though and it really is a sleeper oil in that not many people actually know about it and for the cost it's very reasonable. I don't buy into all the hype from the 60's-80's that it would still apply today. It was probably just the numbers in that QS was so popular during that time period which is more likely they would've had the most complaints on sludge.

Originally Posted by Fifty150

Bought some from Amazon for a good price. I like buying cases of 6 quarts vs 5 quart jug, since 5 quarts is not enough for my car's fill. It ran fine.

[Linked Image]

Hard to go wrong for the price!

Originally Posted by Smokescreen
Supply is a problem for magnatec...I don't see it anywhere.

It's not supply the demand just doesn't exist. It has to be the 10th or worse selling motor oil in North America.

Originally Posted by Smokescreen
Supply is a problem for magnatec...I don't see it anywhere.

Never seems to be a problem on Wally World online.

Originally Posted by ad244

He's criticizing you for buying a junky car in the first place not for the oil you use

You know what, on the drive in to work this morning, I saw a half dozen Hyundais and KIAs just stop, their engines locked up, blocking traffic. It was a mess. I guess all those junky cars didn't use a good enough oil. Not to mention the other 4 I counted that were broken down alongside the road.....
lol.gif
happy2.gif

Originally Posted by Treadstone

He's criticizing you for buying a junky car in the first place not for the oil you use

You know what, on the drive in to work this morning, I saw a half dozen Hyundais and KIAs just stop, their engines locked up, blocking traffic. It was a mess. I guess all those junky cars didn't use a good enough oil. Not to mention the other 4 I counted that were broken down alongside the road.....
lol.gif
happy2.gif

Maybe they were running canola oil in their engines?

Originally Posted by Fifty150

[Linked Image]

Hard to go wrong for the price!

Indeed, that is a full quart more than this https://www.amazon.com/Castrol-0306...amp;s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back