M1-HM or QSUD For QUIETNESS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
To each their own. Everyone has their brand they lean towards. I personally don't get wrapped up in the noise factor unless it's something very serious.

My best test on the noise is with a few toyota corolla. Family members have three all 00-01. The cars sound like type writers to me. I've tried everything and anything. Quietest if we're talking noise that I've tried as m1 extended performance 5-30. However, I find Valvoline MaxLife the quietest in my 98 suburban. So to me besides noise not meaning much, I think different or each vehicles like different oils noise wise.

We can see the fan favorite for recent times is SOPUS products. I've had more SOPUS products in a stash than possible all on the site. I was getting 6 gallon bulk container for dirt cheap, but decided I'd rather get some money back than a 500 qt stash. I still have some PU and use it, but honestly speaking, it does the same as I've seen with even supertech. So I'm not the slightest brand loyal at all. I just think we're all reading for too much into this oil thing when I this site. I get the same way at times but try to just be real about it. I'm still searching for that special oil that causes engine failure, but I've still not found it. Then I could make a real statement on what not to use.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tswm
Speaking as a somewhat experienced consumer (also having long considered the various arguments put forth in BITOG),
and knowing that synthetic motor oils were originally intended for cold weather operation, and having been very recently apprised of scientific evidence that PAO is even less desirable than I previously had supposed (although Group IV-PAO based oils are believed to better combat the harmful effects of engine running with blown head gasket) because of thinner oil film than mineral oil film, well okay, yet stronger oil film than mineral oil film, more than ever I tend to be more fond of the Group III pseudo synthetics (no derision intended) especially the SOPUS products (they do work pretty much as advertised, are usually convenient to purchase), and the ester versions of the Group V full synthetic, and because you drive in a cold weather region but not in one that is subject to "polar vortex", neither Arctic climate, I think it is safest for your motor overall (and easy on your wallet too) running a 100% 10W30 Group III/III+ motor oil, especially either QSUD 10W30 or PP 10W30, yes, year round in your circumstance.

I say, wait for New PP with GTL 5W30 UOA to show up in BITOG. I THINK I recently saw in person that very bottle, and it said ACEA A5/B5, but my recollection is not clear on that point. Of course, you can visit the Pennzoil site for Internet verification.

If there were only one version of the old PP 5W30 (now being displaced by New PP with GTL PurePlus), it would be one thing, but there were at least two versions prior to New PP with GTL being introduced this year in Jan/Feb. The earlier of the two Old PP 5W30, was rated at both A1/B1 and A5/B5, and it seems to me this is what really made the reputation of greatness for SOPUS synthetic oil products in general. I have never read of any UOA of that oil, that was poor. But recently I have seen at least one poor PP 5W30 UOA, and I'm afraid that car was speced at 10W30, and also that PP 5W30 was the latest of the two Old PP 5W30, the one whereon it is printed 1 dexos APPROVED: on the back of that Dexos1 bottle, it says only A1/B1 a Mainline lubricants spec, but not the high performance engine Upper Mainline lubricants spec of A5/B5. I'm afraid the same pattern holds for the QSUD. And because you almost certainly will not be able to find enough quantities of the old PP 5W30 carrying the A5/B5 spec, for all these reasons plus the fact that you are not afflicted with "polar vortex", even though you drive in Canada, I strongly believe that you are good to go with QSUD/PP 10W30, the tried and proven stuff. My opinion, in part based on personal experience.

Now if we are talking about a 2013/2014 Honda Civic, for example, which is speced in the USA market for 0W20, and I suppose in Canada too, then absolutely you are safe to run the Old PP 5W30 bearing the Dexos1 message, only rated at A1/B1.

Originally Posted By: Verminator

You are not the first person to mention this MoS2 stuff. I'm not clear really on what it is and what its purpose is? I don't have any leaks with regular M1 and it uses mayby half a litre/quart per OCI. I'm also not really intersted in extended OCI, I'm happy sticking with the manufacturers OCI of 5,00km, and I'm getting excellent gas milega right now so my ONLY issue is the noise.

I seem to have read on BITOG many times that the ONLY thing that should go in the crank-case is oil. But I'm interested to learn more about what exactly this MoS2 is supposed to do and why it is used.

My research has yielded a finding that MoS2 molybdenum disulfide has been known, its benefits as lubricant, for a long time, I mean several decades on both sides of the Atlantic, used in greases, but for the more fluid motor oil, it seems there was much difficulty in keeping the MoS2 molecules suspended in the base oil, but Liqui Moly (also known as Lubro Moly) sells a civilian product that has solved that problem. It is believed that, I am paraphrasing what I have read, the MoS2 protects surfaces subject to extreme pressures by bonding to the metal on top of the phosphorus layers that come from ZDDP family of compounds. Btw there are other moly additives more soluble in oil, such as what is contained in PP/QSUD. I know from personal experience that LM MoS2 allows an engine to run more smoothly, as long as the engine oil is NOT formulated with the titanium additive, such Mobil Super 5000, Toyota 5W30 conventional, Kendall with Ti, Castrol with Ti. The original Mobil Super Synthetic also carried Ti, but the newer version of the same product line does not.
confused2.gif

Not sure if any version of Mobil Super HM was formulated with the Ti additive. Probably, and probably there was only one version, the same way there's only one version of MS5K. MS5K has a different name in Canada, I think it's called Mobil Super 1000? 2000?
Clevy is the leading advocate of LM MoS2 in BITOG, he's had great success with it, and so have many others including myself, except I empirically discovered to my grief that there is indeed as taught in BITOG that there is such a thing as additive clash, for example, MoS2 additive clashing with Ti additive: I know for a fact that this clash causes drivability problems, no engine knocking/detonation, but you can immediately feel something is faulty with engine lubrication, therefore the transmission transmits power yes, but not in a smooth, normal way.

It sounds like you need MoS2 for your somewhat aged motor, if using your regular M1 5W30 SN GF-5.

You may or may not need MoS2, if using the THINNER versions of QSUD/Old PP 5W30 SN GF-5.

If using the New PP 5W30 PurePlus SN GF-5, I don't know what to anticipate, you should at least Internet verify that it is speced at A5/B5; if so, you probably don't need MoS2.

You do not need MoS2 for all practical purposes (but doesn't hurt to use it either), if using PP/QSUD 10W30 SN GF-5, as I know for a fact PP 10W30 is speced at A5.

The probability of that dreaded valve train acoustics not returning, is highest if you run any 10W30 oil. And in your situation, with cold (but not extremely cold) weather and the car being on the older side, to be friendly to the engine seals, at the same time to retard the rate of oil oxidation, a Group III synthetic that is easy to find and cost effective, the most exemplary type of this in North America is the SOPUS line of Group III synthetic oils as many in BITOG claim. They also produce the Shell synthetic, but harder to find. Therefore, either PP or QSUD.

Hope this helps. Gather information, then make an informed decision,
that your afflictions may cease.

Wow! THANK YOU! One of the best replies I've got yet!

I admit much of what you've said is way above my knowledge, but 2 things I'm interested in:

1. With me using M1 5W30 do you think that MoS2 stuff would assist in the noise issue? I have no idea if regular M1 5W30 has this clashing Ti stuff you refer to?

2. My engine is actually speced for 10W30 in the owners manual. I have only been using 5W30 due to the 101 information on this site with regards to start-ups. Should I be using M1 10W-30 instead of 5W-30? What I can't wrap my head around is the worst engine noise I had with M1 was during our coldest days of winter which was only 16F (minus 9C). Horrible hard startup, almost scraping noise. So if the synthetic oil at a lower "weight" (5W vs 10W) is suppose make those cold starts better and smoother, why all the noise? Now that it has started to warm up it's much better, but the lower weight and synthetic should have made those colder start-ups smoother, not rougher if all that info is true right? Obviously I'm missing something here. And it makes me even more nervous to consider ever using a 0W oil, even though the science seems to say that is the best yet for cold startups....

May I make a suggestion?

Ditch the synthetic oil and get a premium conventional.

May I make another suggestion?

Don't go any thinner than 10W-30.

Your Hyundai is cleared to go up to 20W-50 above 32* F.

Once you get the engine quiet, then you can think about going with a synthetic.

Quote:
2004 HYUNDAI SANTA FE 2.4L 4-cyl Engine Code DOHC
LUBRICANTS & FLUIDS: Lookup Another Vehicle
Engine Oil
Grade 1......SL
Maximum Performance SAE 10W-30 Signature Series 100% Synthetic Motor Oil (ATMQT)
Performance Plus XL 10W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil (XLTQT)
Performance Synthetic 10W30 OE Motor Oil (OETQT)
Above -9 F......10W-30, 10W-40, 10W-50
Above 32 F......20W-40, 20W-50
Below 95 F......5W-30, 5W-40

much of what you've said is way above my knowledge, but 2 things I'm interested in:

1. With me using M1 5W30 do you think that MoS2 stuff would assist in the noise issue? I have no idea if regular M1 5W30 has this clashing Ti stuff you refer to?

2. My engine is actually speced for 10W30 in the owners manual. I have only been using 5W30 due to the 101 information on this site with regards to start-ups. Should I be using M1 10W-30 instead of 5W-30? What I can't wrap my head around is the worst engine noise I had with M1 was during our coldest days of winter which was only 16F (minus 9C). Horrible hard startup, almost scraping noise. So if the synthetic oil at a lower "weight" (5W vs 10W) is suppose make those cold starts better and smoother, why all the noise? Now that it has started to warm up it's much better, but the lower weight and synthetic should have made those colder start-ups smoother, not rougher if all that info is true right? Obviously I'm missing something here. And it makes me even more nervous to consider ever using a 0W oil, even though the science seems to say that is the best yet for cold startups....

The nuts and bolts and math behind the tribology go way over my head also.
Some of the qualitative aspect, yes I think I can visualize them,
but quantitatively, it is beyond my understanding.
What I try and do is, to condense it down to what products either work or don't for a given situation, and how to go about applying them as a motorist.

1. LM MoS2 will either supplement the too thin oil film of your M1 5W30 primarily as a "friction modifier", or will in the worst case scenario do nothing harmful to your valve train and any other part of your engine. It is believed that the longer it is circulated, the greater percentage of the total amount of MoS2 will adhere to the surfaces most subject to extreme pressure, on top of the phosphorus layer, thus modifying metal to metal friction for the better, as long as the MoS2 do not compete for metal surface with
the Ti additive molecules. Other moly additives coexist with the new ti additive,
but this is not so with the MoS2 moly additive.
Your regular M1 5W30 does not contain the new titanium additive.
There is no Mobil 1 synthetic oil that contains that Ti.
You can also verify this by contacting XOM.

2. To me it seems some of the more recent BITOG posts are saying that Valvoline SynPower 5W30 causes noise in some vehicles. So it's possible the 5W30 issue is continuing to plague the industry, but even if that is reality, I am sure that today's 5W30 oils are much more shear stable than 20 years ago.
And yes, M1 10W30 is better for your application than the M1 5W30 in your possession.
But will the slight but real upgrade in viscosity result in a thick enough oil film to make the disturbing valve train noise go away? I don't know, because regular M1 10W30, it seems to me, has the second most complaints of this kind, after the regular M1 5W30, but it seems no where near the frequency, speaking as a casual observer.
What I can comment with a much greater degree of assurance is that M1 HM 10W30 should be able to return the valve train acoustics back to normal, more or less, because it is speced at HTHS viscosity of 3.5, the A3/B3 minimum. I agree that the frequent complaints in some ways do not make logical sense, but many of them must be real because they are so numerous, and as I have written, last year I myself experienced somewhat similar valve train noise at the start of an OCI with a fill of 80% M1 EP SM 5W30, although with a much lesser degree of severity, and the annoyance was very temporary. As far as M1 0W30 ESP, going by memory it has a good reputation among BITOGers who have said they tried it, although it's a long drain oil only if using European gasoline, maybe Californian also, and it's expensive both in the USA and in Canada. It may be that there's another version of M1 0W30. It seems there is, but my memory on that is not clear; you wrote that you're not planning to do lengthy OCI. I think that the "W" on the viscosity grade rating numbers indicates "Winter", but I am not totally confident about what it really indicates. Also, I have learned through BITOG that in some cases,
as with European Car Formula 0W30 like M1 0W30 ESP and GC 0W30, though it says 0W, the cold oil flows at a measurably slower rate than the 5W counterpart, that such contradictions are reality. Also, it is almost universally believed that the old GC 0W30 when in a state of being warmed up, more closely resembles 40 grade oil rather than 30 grade.
confused2.gif
Maybe, maybe the percentage of PAO and the overall formulation in blending with Group III, sometimes with esters, cause one oil to flow a bit slower yet in pressurized situations the same more viscous oil produces a stronger and/or thicker film when subjected to pressure. In such nuts and bolts and quantitative things, you and I can only speculate as distant observers, not actually being involved in the chemical engineering and tribology, so we don't possess enough information to reason out every thing involved. Over here, we try and quantify the decibel levels of the various, afflicted rackety valve trains. I know empirically that oft times the oil of the right stuff does remedy afflictions of the valve trains, thereby obviating surgeries.

Molakule once wrote that his vehicle runs motor oil of the 10W30 grade.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
May I make a suggestion?

Ditch the synthetic oil and get a premium conventional.

May I make another suggestion?

Don't go any thinner than 10W-30.

Your Hyundai is cleared to go up to 20W-50 above 32* F.

Once you get the engine quiet, then you can think about going with a synthetic.

Quote:
2004 HYUNDAI SANTA FE 2.4L 4-cyl Engine Code DOHC
LUBRICANTS & FLUIDS: Lookup Another Vehicle
Engine Oil
Grade 1......SL
Maximum Performance SAE 10W-30 Signature Series 100% Synthetic Motor Oil (ATMQT)
Performance Plus XL 10W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil (XLTQT)
Performance Synthetic 10W30 OE Motor Oil (OETQT)
Above -9 F......10W-30, 10W-40, 10W-50
Above 32 F......20W-40, 20W-50
Below 95 F......5W-30, 5W-40

Does this info come from the owners manual? If not I wouldn't put any stock in it. Based on the recommendations it looks to me like it comes from a lubricant supplier and not the engineering team that designed and built the engine.

But merkava does have a point. Conventional oils will lessen an engines audible acoustics.
We had a very large and informative discussion about conventional and synthetic oils,their basestocks and how well each grade of basestock was able to insulate for noise.
We gleaned that group 1 and 2 basestocks were the best at being able to insulate and lessen the potential audible acoustics,they also had the highest film strength,dunno if there is a correlation between them however I thought I'd add it. So knowing that perhaps going with a premium conventional like PYB or a syn blend like defy will lessen your noisy engine.
Last year I had an 04 ram quad cab 4x4 with 240k when I acquired it.
I of course changed the oil to pp as soon as I got it after doing an mmo flush run with the existing oil.
The engine was noisy,especially the bottom end where there was an audible knock. I used 5w-20.
So after some back and forth with tig I decided to try 0w-20 AFE. Again there was the knock in the bottom end as well as a noisy top end.
So I also tried eneos 0w-20 and the noise was much worse. So bad in fact I thickened it with a couple quarts of 0w-40 after draining a couple quarts.
Anyways spring had sprung so I decided to try the defy 5w-20 I had gotten on special. What a difference in noise. The bottom end knock had vanished and on the top end the only thing audible was the injector pulse,the rest of the noises were gone.
I wasn't doing really long runs with defy though. I still wasn't convinced about 20 grades and adequate protection at the time so I think at most I was running 5000 mile intervals.
And considering the amazing numbers PYB put up in the PQIA testing why not give it a shot.
Defy was by far the quietest oil I had ever run in that hemi. I haven't tried it in my latest hemi only because my present stash is huge and acquiring jugs at regular retail prices is absurd,so I only buy what's on sale and the only time I saw defy on sale I bought the last 2 jugs.
So I'd try defy in whatever grade you need at a minimum 6000 mile interval.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Does this info come from the owners manual?

It comes from Amsoil and they get all their information for the application guide from the car manufacturers.

Originally Posted By: tswm

Your regular M1 5W30 does not contain the new titanium additive.
There is no Mobil 1 synthetic oil that contains that Ti.
You can also verify this by contacting XOM.

Recent VOA of pertinent XOM motor oils, including regular M1 5W30, may be found at pqiamerica.com.

My engine is actually speced for 10W30 in the owners manual. I have only been using 5W30 due to the 101 information on this site with regards to start-ups. Should I be using M1 10W-30 instead of 5W-30? What I can't wrap my head around is the worst engine noise I had with M1 was during our coldest days of winter which was only 16F (minus 9C).

You could go with the 10w-30. I wouldn't, especially if using a synthetic. With the reference to A1/B1 A5/B5 oils, that applies to the M1 and the new Pennzoil synthetic products.

Starting in the winter sometimes sounds crummy, no matter what the oil choice. A 5w-30 tends to be thinner at all temps and can certainly be pumped at a lower temperature. It won't turn even a BC winter day into a summer day, though. As for different oils sounding different, I don't dispute other people's experiences. I never notice anything with respect to sound (unless something is desperately wrong), but that doesn't mean squat.

Truth be told, though, in your climate, a 10w-30 conventional would work perfectly fine all year. It wouldn't be my first choice, but it would be far from my last choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back