Why is Honda 0W-20 so expensive? Cost at dealer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The bill just says Honda 0w20 oil, I didn't ask at the desk. It's an ao2 filter, which I don't want, but I'll survive, the crv will only going 5k on oil.

It's because they don't want to tie up their service bays doing otherwise low profit oil changes. Otherwise why would anyone get an oil change done except that it was just convenient due to vehicle being there for warranty work, unless the dealership threw in X # of free changes with purchase?

Originally Posted By: BJD78
There is a reason many of us call dealers "stealer ships". They have these big fancy buildings and show rooms that they must heat and cool, and then dozens of employees on the payroll so they are not above padding and overcharging everything they can. Only time I will go to a dealer is for "free Recall work" I last went in for the Takata airbags on both Honda and Hyundais. About 10 years ago I did go to a local honda to replace a heater core and they charged an extra $25.00 for "shop supplies" when asked what it was and the service manager could not give me an answer other than "humman humana" I went to the gen manager and they refunded the $25.00. I suspect they jack up oil prices just like they jack up everything else. I dont know what an OC would run at a dealer and they probably would try and upsell. If not changing your own oil the best bet would be find a reliable independent shop. Wal mart probably has the cheapest oil prices , but I loath wal marts so dont mind spending a little more at NAPA or a farm store like TSC.

Getting charged extra for Shop Supplies is a normal mark up at any repair shop.

There's something else to consider. There are dealerships that use a "different" oil and will justify it with some unsubstantiated statement like, "we have local knowledge and....". Then they will use a different brand (read, cheaper) of fluids. They sometimes will substitute 5w-30 for Xw-20.

Worry not. When electric cars start proliferating the market in 20 years their cash cow (read, service department) is going to be going on a rather severe diet. If you think their prices are too high now, you ain't seen nothing, yet.

Originally Posted By: A_A_G

I was talking about the actual oil that Honda sells, not what a dealership charges to complete the service. It's over $10/quart which is insane.

That is insane. In Canada the only 0w20 available from Honda is the 08798-0823C, made by Idemitsu, and it lists here at 8.80~ a liter. $10 USD for domestically produced oil is nuts.

If you're near the border you could buy it by the case for less than 80 bucks, after the exchange.
crazy.gif

Last edited:
Dealerships are like every other business. They exist to make money. All business mark up their services,goods,etc or else they wouldn't exist. We all mark up our services every day we clock in at work in the form of getting a paycheck. None of us work for free,that would be silly. Dealerships are actually very competitive on their oil change prices. The indy shops around here I see charge $39.99 for a bulk el-cheapo dino oil change and $100 for a synthetic oil change (5 quarts max. Any extra over 5 quarts is an additional charge).

$10 a quart for 0W20 is actually what a quart will cost you at any auto parts chain. The best way to do it is to grab a jug of 0W20 at Walmart,crack open a cold brew,and give your car some love
laugh.gif

The obvious answer to why is Honda branded oil so expensive, its because they can.
Many car owners think if they have a Honda, they should or must use Honda oil. Thats a limited (Honda-Acura owners only) population, so they mark it up on the lower volume they sell, knowing that some customers are a "captive market" for their oil and will pay it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Patman
Most dealers charge way too much for oil. Exception is Toyota, their 0w20 synthetic is very reasonably priced (at least it was the last time I bought it)

Saw this week at Pickering Toyota Ontario, $6.40 per liter TGMO 0W20.
0w16 sell for $6.80 per liter.

This is why when I bought the Honda, I bought the dealer's oil change package for 100 bucks. Best 100 bucks I ever let go. With it, I get 3 Honda full synthetic (says it on the receipt, I called and verified, and they told me they have the stuff in bulk) 0w-20 from Phillips 66 bulk with tire rotations and fluids replacements. I like the Honda formulation cause I wanted to extend the break-in with the same oil, since Honda works with CP66, they can say how much CA they want for their turbo charged engines or whether they want to use Boron etc. It say FULL SYN on the receipt and it is but in bulk and not from the bottles, but still, you get the pricey Honda full syn 0w-20- aka , the good stuff and it mimics the Factory break-in oil minus the added moly. I got one more of these fantastic oil change/tire rotations and fluid inspections left, then, I have to "go offline" and use my first BITOG stash I pilfered off of AAP end of 2017 special, before change-over to 2018. 19 quarts bottles and 4 jugs of IDEMITSU 0w-20, the same stuff Honda of Canada sells as Honda Genuine oil!!.. hah, take that high online price of Honda OEM oil! I also want to make the point that cheap but elite oil can be had end of year, during these sales that AAP and AZ have.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back