Why is gas going up now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
the post only has merit if you believe there aren't many oil producers. if one person could get more for their barrel than the next guy why wouldn't they. that's not how markets work.
It doesn't matter how many producers there are. What matters is how much supply they allow to be sold. That supply is purposely limited to keep prices as high as possible...

The oil industry controls supply, therefore they control prices. The term supply and demand is just a term people use to try and keep the industry from looking like the greedy operation they are...
Not exactly. First, WE consumers control demand. Demand is 1/2 the equation. If folks would drive more sensibly, and stop being so wasteful, the demand side of the equation would fall.

Secondly, oil MUST remain at least somewhat high priced, or many of the oil companies, and exploratory drilling, fracking, etc. would cease. I don't recall the dollar amount but something like below $50 per barrel and these smaller operations shut down. That happened in 2019-2020 during the oil wars, actually. Prices fell so low that many smaller operations and fracking shut down.

Third, next to life sustaining products, oil is among the most important discoveries/inventions/uses for combustion engines, energy, etc. and is among the top reasons we have a 1st world comfortable existence. Oil replaced massive human/animal labor and is a high ROI. Consider how many man hours it would take to manually push a 2 ton vehicle down the road 30 miles. Now consider that costs only about $5 in gasoline. In this simple example, for practically nothing in cost, we get hundreds of hours of labor in return... In the aggregate and bigger examples, oil is really cheap and the reason we live so lavishly.

Keep track of oil ( WTI Crude ) and gas ( RBOB ) at BLOOMBERG Energy . News for energy market is there as well . Oil is now 71.37 and gas is also rising .

And we might pump ourselves into poverty as every barrel is harder to get than the last, thankfully we have neighbors to the north with very dirty oil sources
If oil goes up signficantly.. much of the oil that is not able to be extracted in an economically viable way suddenly becomes profitable.

Gas prices are extremely odd currently. Diesel as low as 3.39 and 87 gas for 3.69
fairly recently we had 3$ gas and 5$ diesel.

I have been using alot of super 88 as sheetz has it for 2.96 (e85 is 2.95), 87 3.69, 93 4.59
I tested their super 88 at 11% ethanol last year.. so not too bad.

If oil goes up signficantly.. much of the oil that is not able to be extracted in an economically viable way suddenly becomes profitable.
That is a correct astute assessment. Oil in interesting in that at a high enough price point, more oil can be extracted which helps to add stability and downward price pressure. Tar sands and fracking is a good example. If oil is too low priced that process is not cost effective. I think around $80 or $100 per barrel is the price point to make it cost effective, but don't hold me to those figures based on memory.

Gas prices are extremely odd currently. Diesel as low as 3.39 and 87 gas for 3.69

I have been using alot of super 88 as sheetz has it for 2.96 (e85 is 2.95), 87 3.69, 93 4.59
That is how Saudis killed fracking. Saudis hiked up production to get fracking companies under. After they did it, they lowered production.

I think around $80 or $100 per barrel is the price point to make it cost effective, but don't hold me to those figures based on memory.
Fracking is around $30-$60 depending on location etc etc.
oil sands according to google is similar
Breakeven costs for Canadian oil sands sector producing assets have fallen from $59.30 US Brent per barrel in 2015 to $33.97 US Brent per barrel in 2022 a decline of $25.33 US Brent per barrel, or nearly 43 per cent

Fracking is around $30-$60 depending on location etc etc.
oil sands according to google is similar
When Saudis killed fracking, to break even you needed around $70 price.
It is hard for companies to return to it just like that when Saudis are just one big family cartel.

As Benjamin Franklin so astutely pointed out, three people may keep a secret only if 2 of them are dead.

Never assume a conspiracy when there are other reasonable and simple explanations.

That is nearly identical to here
88e15 is always massively cheaper

And while gas was getting cheaper diesel stayed high

Now that gas seems to be blipping back up I noted $2.99 diesel (only lasted a day)

This may be a sign that one of the refineries used primarily for diesel and heavy ends that has been damaged is now mitigated in some way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back